Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: Braves @ Reds 4/26 (No Camargo)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    The issue is the usual suspects lovingbWren when he was GM. Then hating him when he left. Then loving Hart/Coppy when they were in charge. Then hating them when they left.

The usual suspects can’t actually think for themselves, so they love whoever is leading the organization at the time.

And it’s funny. So intelli-Braves poke fun at them.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-27-2018), Braves1976 (04-26-2018), jpx7 (04-26-2018), nsacpi (04-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    You Wren homers crack me up, and dont give Coppy any credit for some of the talent on the roster.
    I try to be fair and give Dave Stewart some of the credit
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

auyushu (04-27-2018), Braves1976 (04-26-2018), jpx7 (04-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I try to be fair and give Dave Stewart some of the credit
    Good response, lol.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think it’s mostly a good, solid joke and troll.
    Dingding.

It’s a fun troll on those folks that refuse Wren any credit. But I for one have said I think Wren was a mediocre GM, overall, and I think the team is in better hands now.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Dingding.

It’s a fun troll on those folks that refuse Wren any credit. But I for one have said I think Wren was a mediocre GM, overall, and I think the team is in better hands now.
    that's a solid perspective on what promises to be the Golden Wren Era

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Dingding.

I agree, Wren was better than Hart and Coppy. Not that this is saying a lot. But AA's track record from Toronto is certainly better than them all. I mention Toronto simply because he is still new on the job here.

Wren was good at making trades usually, similar to AA in that respect. But he made some big blunders in free agency, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker is demoted for Joey Bats since RF and Joey can both play OF too. They might do so for two reasons, Tucker has a minor league option left and he's not looked good pinch hitting. If he isn't a good pinch hitter then he might as well play full time in AAA. His OPS is already dropping fast and his defense doesn't help his case. So it will probably come down to whether he can start getting some hits off the bench, if not you keep Culberson over him simply for the plus defense he provides in the infield.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree, Wren was better than Hart and Coppy. Not that this is saying a lot. But AA's track record from Toronto is certainly better than them all. I mention Toronto simply because he is still new on the job here.

Wren was good at making trades usually, similar to AA in that respect. But he made some big blunders in free agency, etc.
    Eh, he made 2 big FA signings. The Lowe one was stupid (mainly the extra year but as I recall he was willing to give up money to sign with the Mets instead and Wren needed a frontline starter and he was closest in FA) but Upton is stupid in retrospect. It's easy to say that Wren should have done this or that. But if Wren doesn't sign Upton, maybe the Twins don't trade Revere and Span and it doesn't drive down the CF market. Again we're talkign about a signing that was almost universally praised. All of Wren's moves were pretty much applauded as at least good enough.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think 2019 is the true first year of contention and have thought that for awhile. That would be year 5 which I think is pretty standard.

Again we are looking this good right now thanks to Albies and Acuna. Two guys that group had nothing to do with it. So while things are working out in what I would call a normal time frame it's in no thanks to them. Truthfully if they went full rebuild from the start we would be in better shape right now.
    Yes, that is the standard time frame for teams with high payrolls and/or good management. Teams like the Royals, Pirates, Marlins, Mariners, and many others wallowed in mediocrity or worse for decades. My point is that we’ve been spoiled by good baseball for the past three decades, minus the previous three years in which we were rebuilding.

And, you’re right, a big reason for that is hitting on two lottery tickets that happened to be bought by Frank Wren. The rebuild could have been even quicker if not for a few major blunders by the Hart/Coppolella regime.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 04-26-2018 at 10:13 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-26-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    If Wren was still here...he would have traded Albies and Acuna long ago most likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    If Wren was still here...he would have traded Albies and Acuna long ago most likely.
    I don’t know...Wren was pretty good about holding on to his elite prospects.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-26-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Hart was the dude entertaining trading Albies. If that’s not proof of his ineptitude ...
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I don’t know...Wren was pretty good about holding on to his elite prospects.
    all two of them that he drafted in his time here

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i do think wren deserves some credit but so does coppy for acquiring a bunch of really good pitching. wisler would be like the 3rd best pitcher wren acquired if he had done it, and that says a lot...people don't want to give coppy credit for soroka/gohara/wentz/wilson/etc etc.

i think they were both similarly average GMs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm sure Wren knew about Acuna/Albies before they were signed.

I know its a nice trolling attempt but deep down those of you who understand how a large company is run is well aware that Wren had nothing to do with those signings just like Coppy had nothing to do with drafting Soroka.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

I know its a nice trolling attempt but deep down those of you who understand how a large company is run is well aware that Wren had nothing to do with those signings just like Coppy had nothing to do with drafting Soroka.
    and Hartcoppy obviously had not clue who Hector Oliveira was and no clue about the massive rule violations in the international market...it is a yuge company and impossible for upper management to get in the weeds and know about those kinds of things...thanks for splaining to the rest of us what happens in big organizations

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts

Are you seriously saying that a gm has no clue about guys that his organization is about to sign. How many guys signed in those periods. I can bet any amount of money that wren was involved in every guy signed that period. He might not have found them. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t involved.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Are you seriously saying that a gm has no clue about guys that his organization is about to sign. How many guys signed in those periods. I can bet any amount of money that wren was involved in every guy signed that period. He might not have found them. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t involved.
    Delegation of responsibility is how any large company is ran. Signing a guy for 100k is essentially a rounding error for a baseball team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    and Hartcoppy obviously had not clue who Hector Oliveira was and no clue about the massive rule violations in the international market...it is a yuge company and impossible for upper management to get in the weeds and know about those kinds of things...thanks for splaining to the rest of us what happens in big organizations
    No - As I have states on numerous occasions trades and any player acquisitions that impact the major league team are all administered by the GM and VP of baseball operations. But hey, don't miss out on an opportunity to twist my previous statements.

Hart/Coppy destroyed the Olivera deal. Epicly poor judgement.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Delegation of responsibility is how any large company is ran. Signing a guy for 100k is essentially a rounding error for a baseball team.
    No it is not
    Coppy