User Tag List

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 393

Thread: GDT: 4/28/2018 Braves @ Phillies

  1. #341
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,542
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the analytics forum sub idea. This forum doesnít drive the traffic to split the user base. You do that it will either kill these boards or pull no traffic.

    Ensheff is right. He does get attacked unprovoked quite a bit. Granted, he brought it all on himself months ago, so I hardly understand the self-victimization card that he plays whenever he gets in trouble. I wish he would act like an adult and embrace diversity of opinion, but thatís never going to happen. I would like him to stay, but if it means splitting the forum base to accommodate then I would rather he just be banned. The best solution is the guy has a Road to Damascus moment and changes his ways.

    For those advocating that you can just put him on ignore, oh how naive you are. Every thread is a an ensheff back and forth. Thatís just not going to work.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

    Garmel (04-29-2018)

  3. #342
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,325 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I hate the analytics forum sub idea. This forum doesnít drive the traffic to split the user base. You do that it will either kill these boards or pull no traffic.

    Ensheff is right. He does get attacked unprovoked quite a bit. Granted, he brought it all on himself months ago, so I hardly understand the self-victimization card that he plays whenever he gets in trouble. I wish he would act like an adult and embrace diversity of opinion, but thatís never going to happen. I would like him to stay, but if it means splitting the forum base to accommodate then I would rather he just be banned. The best solution is the guy has a Road to Damascus moment and changes his ways.

    For those advocating that you can just put him on ignore, oh how naive you are. Every thread is a an ensheff back and forth. Thatís just not going to work.
    Creating a seperate sub forum exclusively for Enscheff does not mean dividing the user base.

  4. #343
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,586
    Thanks
    1,349
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 782 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    This is the problem right here. Pure arrogance. Who are you to determine what is intelligent or not? You have had your fair share of gaffes on here just as everyone else has had here. That doesn't give you the right to go into attack mode because you believe someone is wrong.
    One other thing, while my intelligence is being impugned....that thread was the result of me pointing out in a game thread soon (maybe 10 days) after Albies' call up last year when I said he was an extreme fly ball hitter and Enscheff said he was not, the data clearly said he wasn't, that I was stupid for saying so, and wondering how I could reach such an erroneous conclusion.

    I said, simply, that I watched him. Then I looked at the stats to see if they'd bear out what I saw, and his launch angle average was 19į, "higher than just about anyone's", I said at the time.

    Within an hour he had started his thread about, "Why Albies needs to stop hitting the ball in the air so much."

    Here we are four baseball months later, his launch angle is still 19į, he's leading the league in home runs, hitting the ball in the air 47% of the time and seems to be doing all right.

    So while analytically speaking his launch angle is too extreme for his average exit velocity and he should, within the analytical framework Enscheff has defined, change his style in order to be more effective hitter, the unreliable eye test would seem to suggest the analysis is wrong - or at least in need of questioning, would it not? That it is probably sample size weirdness, but maybe it's not?

    One thing that I've been toying with is that when you're talking about exit velocity you're talking about averages, not discrete events, and maybe Albies hits a lot more balls 95+ than other people with his average exit velocity. Maybe there's something about Albies that makes him out-power his expected quantity because of other, unaccounted for variables - that happens with FIP, right?

    I'm not as data-driven as some, but I shouldn't have to hear that I should just focus on the pretty uniforms and green grass because I'm not looking at the game through a saber lens. I promise you, I appreciate the game just fine even without reducing it to a spreadsheet.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (04-29-2018),Jaw (04-30-2018),jpx7 (04-29-2018)

  6. #344
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,542
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Creating a seperate sub forum exclusively for Enscheff does not mean dividing the user base.
    Then itís a situation just like the Optimist/Pessimist subs that wonít drive any traffic at all. Itís band-aid solution to a real problem.

    Seriously, poor @CrimsonCowboy is going to end up leaving us and who is going to step up and give us seven round NFL mock drafts in his absence? I wonít. thethe wonít.

  7. #345
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,586
    Thanks
    1,349
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 782 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I hate the analytics forum sub idea. This forum doesn’t drive the traffic to split the user base. You do that it will either kill these boards or pull no traffic.

    Ensheff is right. He does get attacked unprovoked quite a bit. Granted, he brought it all on himself months ago, so I hardly understand the self-victimization card that he plays whenever he gets in trouble. I wish he would act like an adult and embrace diversity of opinion, but that’s never going to happen. I would like him to stay, but if it means splitting the forum base to accommodate then I would rather he just be banned. The best solution is the guy has a Road to Damascus moment and changes his ways.

    For those advocating that you can just put him on ignore, oh how naive you are. Every thread is a an ensheff back and forth. That’s just not going to work.
    Right. The only way would be for people to hit "reply" instead of "reply with quote." It would still be pretty hard to follow.

    As for the unprovoked thing, I cannot think of a single time he didn't start the incivility. Not once.

  8. #346
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20,917
    Thanks
    1,510
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 4,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    One other thing, while my intelligence is being impugned....that thread was the result of me pointing out in a game thread soon (maybe 10 days) after Albies' call up last year when I said he was an extreme fly ball hitter and Enscheff said he was not, the data clearly said he wasn't, that I was stupid for saying so, and wondering how I could reach such an erroneous conclusion.

    I said, simply, that I watched him. Then I looked at the stats to see if they'd bear out what I saw, and his launch angle average was 19į, "higher than just about anyone's", I said at the time.

    Within an hour he had started his thread about, "Why Albies needs to stop hitting the ball in the air so much."

    Here we are four baseball months later, his launch angle is still 19į, he's leading the league in home runs, hitting the ball in the air 47% of the time and seems to be doing all right.

    So while analytically speaking his launch angle is too extreme for his average exit velocity and he should, within the analytical framework Enscheff has defined, change his style in order to be more effective hitter, the unreliable eye test would seem to suggest the analysis is wrong - or at least in need of questioning, would it not? That it is probably sample size weirdness, but maybe it's not?

    One thing that I've been toying with is that when you're talking about exit velocity you're talking about averages, not discrete events, and maybe Albies hits a lot more balls 95+ than other people with his average exit velocity. Maybe there's something about Albies that makes him out-power his expected quantity because of other, unaccounted for variables - that happens with FIP, right?

    I'm not as data-driven as some, but I shouldn't have to hear that I should just focus on the pretty uniforms and green grass because I'm not looking at the game through a saber lens. I promise you, I appreciate the game just fine even without reducing it to a spreadsheet.
    insightful post

    I suspect though that Albies will have more success in the long run with a lower launch angle...but right now he is an extreme fly ball hitter
    ďIt's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.Ē Senator Bob Corker

  9. #347
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,667
    Thanks
    5,263
    Thanked 991 Times in 657 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    One other thing, while my intelligence is being impugned....that thread was the result of me pointing out in a game thread soon (maybe 10 days) after Albies' call up last year when I said he was an extreme fly ball hitter and Enscheff said he was not, the data clearly said he wasn't, that I was stupid for saying so, and wondering how I could reach such an erroneous conclusion.

    I said, simply, that I watched him. Then I looked at the stats to see if they'd bear out what I saw, and his launch angle average was 19į, "higher than just about anyone's", I said at the time.

    Within an hour he had started his thread about, "Why Albies needs to stop hitting the ball in the air so much."

    Here we are four baseball months later, his launch angle is still 19į, he's leading the league in home runs, hitting the ball in the air 47% of the time and seems to be doing all right.

    So while analytically speaking his launch angle is too extreme for his average exit velocity and he should, within the analytical framework Enscheff has defined, change his style in order to be more effective hitter, the unreliable eye test would seem to suggest the analysis is wrong - or at least in need of questioning, would it not? That it is probably sample size weirdness, but maybe it's not?

    One thing that I've been toying with is that when you're talking about exit velocity you're talking about averages, not discrete events, and maybe Albies hits a lot more balls 95+ than other people with his average exit velocity. Maybe there's something about Albies that makes him out-power his expected quantity because of other, unaccounted for variables - that happens with FIP, right?

    I'm not as data-driven as some, but I shouldn't have to hear that I should just focus on the pretty uniforms and green grass because I'm not looking at the game through a saber lens. I promise you, I appreciate the game just fine even without reducing it to a spreadsheet.
    My favorite Enscheff story is when he got into a fight with another poster here over who was the better baseball player. Enscheff was dogging the other guy for being only a high school player while he was a division I player. The other day Enscheff admits he never played a day in college. Does he realize that people can remember his bull****. Like most sociopaths you can't get a straight answer out of them.

  10. #348
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,542
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Right. The only way would be for people to hit "reply" instead of "reply with quote." It would still be pretty hard to follow.

    As for the unprovoked thing, I cannot think of a single time he didn't start the incivility. Not once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    My favorite Enscheff story is when he got into a fight with another poster here over who was the better baseball player. Enscheff was dogging the other guy for being only a high school player while he was a division I player. The other day Enscheff admits he never played a day in college. Does he realize that people can remember his bull****. Like most sociopaths you can't get a straight answer out of them.
    This would be an example of unprovoked.

  11. #349
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,667
    Thanks
    5,263
    Thanked 991 Times in 657 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This would be an example of unprovoked.
    He called me a buffoon earlier in the thread. Maybe 1/2 unprovoked sort of like 1/2 of a sack? LOL! In all seriousness, do you want to go back and look at all of the times he's attacked me unprovoked?

  12. #350
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,542
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    He called me a buffoon earlier in the thread. Maybe 1/2 unprovoked sort of like 1/2 of a sack? LOL! In all seriousness, do you want to go back and look at all of the times he's attacked me unprovoked?
    Just saying you arenít helping the problem.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (04-29-2018)

  14. #351
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,325 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Then itís a situation just like the Optimist/Pessimist subs that wonít drive any traffic at all. Itís band-aid solution to a real problem.

    Seriously, poor @CrimsonCowboy is going to end up leaving us and who is going to step up and give us seven round NFL mock drafts in his absence? I wonít. thethe wonít.
    People have acknowledged that they appreciate his content and enjoy engaging in discussions about it. This will allow the ones who donít like him to completely ignore him if they choose to, while the others can continue to discuss with him.

  15. #352
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31,587
    Thanks
    3,643
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The one other thing I will say is that this season is shaping out to be a potential special one. We don't need this type of crap taking any attention away from that.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (04-29-2018),VirginiaBrave (04-29-2018)

  17. #353
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,667
    Thanks
    5,263
    Thanked 991 Times in 657 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Just saying you aren’t helping the problem.
    Enscheff is the one you need to talk to, not me. He stops, I stop.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

    AerchAngel (04-29-2018)

  19. #354
    Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    6,743
    Thanks
    2,715
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 800 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Enscheff is the one you need to talk to, not me. He stops, I stop.
    This.

    Like I said, he has a immaturity problem. I can't put him on ignore because he posts some good stuff that GMs have no clue of.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

    Garmel (04-29-2018)

  21. #355
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 308 Times in 223 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He seems more interested in his numbers and postulations being proven right than the Braves winning games.

  22. #356
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    14,095
    Thanks
    962
    Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,536 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    He seems more interested in his numbers and postulations being proven right than the Braves winning games.
    Why do you think that?

  23. #357
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    DANGERZONE
    Posts
    16,989
    Thanks
    1,055
    Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Itís the strangest thing. Itís a no brainer. They are literally looking for any older guy (with no future with us), to hold down 3rd. If they donít think heís the ďguyĒ...why not at least give him a shot?? Worst case is he gives us great defense, but he performed well at the plate and is a switch hitter. Iím just totally confused. He must have slept with someoneís wife I guess or has some bad club house vibe.
    Is it strange or does it speak about the lack of trust the brass has in him. Maybe they want to find out what their other options are if he fails.
    AJ does all the other things just as well if not better than Mac - zbhargrove

    I don't think Nolan Ryan should be a poster child for mechanics - SAV

  24. #358
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 308 Times in 223 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Simple, rather than being concerned or critical of player performance based on some number. I would just enjoy the performance. If a guy hits .260 with 30 bombs and drives in 90 and catches everything they are supposed to he's a good player period. Strikeouts do matter no matter what anybody says. Basically, it is just the insistence that old dinosaurs like me that watch the games with our eyes and not a slide rule don't know what we are talking about.

  25. #359
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,325 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Simple, rather than being concerned or critical of player performance based on some number. I would just enjoy the performance. If a guy hits .260 with 30 bombs and drives in 90 and catches everything they are supposed to he's a good player period. Strikeouts do matter no matter what anybody says. Basically, it is just the insistence that old dinosaurs like me that watch the games with our eyes and not a slide rule don't know what we are talking about.
    So, just shut up and watch the games and donít try to analyze whatís going on. Awesome stance.

  26. #360
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 657 Times in 432 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Simple, rather than being concerned or critical of player performance based on some number. I would just enjoy the performance. If a guy hits .260 with 30 bombs and drives in 90 and catches everything they are supposed to he's a good player period. Strikeouts do matter no matter what anybody says. Basically, it is just the insistence that old dinosaurs like me that watch the games with our eyes and not a slide rule don't know what we are talking about.
    Well, when it comes to projecting out what players might do in the future the people who ignore or reject analytics are at an extreme disadvantage. Some of us are interesting in projecting out what a player's future will look like. That doesn't take away from our enjoyment of the present. At least it doesn't for me. And it certainly allows for a more informed opinion when discussing matters of projection. So if you just want to watch and enjoy the game that is perfectly fine. That is the way most people absorb baseball. But realize that you are probably going to have assumptions about what some players do and will do that will end up being incorrect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •