Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: 4/29 rubber game vs Phillies

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    The “saddled by debt” note makes decisions like paying Bourjos $1 million for a single month of bench-play seem even head-scratchier.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-30-2018), buck75 (04-30-2018), JohnAdcox (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The “saddled by debt” note makes decisions like paying Bourjos $1 million for a single month of bench-play seem even head-scratchier.
    I scratch my head more about the Rosenthal comment than the addition of PB. Teams add $1M bench players all the time. Unless there is some odd accounting with debt from the new park going on, I don't see how the Braves could have any debt they wouldn't normally have.

Maybe the higher payrolls during the last couple years at Turner despite attendance figures of 2M are being carried over to now?

Either way, it's pretty safe to assume the Braves have close to zero money left for additions in 2018. Paying Mous $2M for 2 months may be the most they can afford.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    And those numbers do not take into account framing skills, which would boost Flowers significantly.

Barring a return to pre-Braves production from Suzuki and/or Flowers, catcher is not a position that needs to be fixed. If we can upgrade for minimal cost, sure, but we'd be better off putting any available resources into 3B, the rotation, or the bullpen.
    I thought the item being discussed was trading for Realmuto in-season.

RF would also be down the page in terms of positions on which I’d spend prospect capital to upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I scratch my head more about the Rosenthal comment than the addition of PB. Teams add $1M bench players all the time. Unless there is some odd accounting with debt from the new park going on, I don't see how the Braves could have any debt they wouldn't normally have.

Maybe the higher payrolls during the last couple years at Turner despite attendance figures of 2M are being carried over to now?

Either way, it's pretty safe to assume the Braves have close to zero money left for additions in 2018. Paying Mous $2M for 2 months may be the most they can afford.
    Sure: normal teams, occupying a normal range of fiscal positions, add, and even quickly subtract, $1M bench players all the time. But the Rosenthal quote seems to imply that there is something abnormal about the Braves' fiscal position, that they are facing a special amount of budgetary precarity at the moment. In that light, a frivolity like Bourjos seems odd. However, playing normally fast-&-loose with $1M bench players like Bourjos may simply be a good reason to discount Rosenthal's comment, and assume what debt the Braves do have is the sort of debt they'd normally have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Debt service costs are always factored into future planning. This would not be a surprise to the Braves and therefore did not 'change' any plans.

What would change the plans is the potential revenue spike from being competitive a year sooner than anticipated. The additional gate could result in us being players at the deadline.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Debt service costs are always factored into future planning. This would not be a surprise to the Braves and therefore did not 'change' any plans.

What would change the plans is the potential revenue spike from being competitive a year sooner than anticipated. The additional gate could result in us being players at the deadline.
    I have no doubt that if the Braves are in contention at the deadline they will add.

They can't possibly be too poor to add Mous and his $2M ROS salary, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have no doubt that if the Braves are in contention at the deadline they will add.

They can't possibly be too poor to add Mous and his $2M ROS salary, for example.
    The other thing that could change the calculus is removing a salary. The only logical candidate here is really Teheran (substantial enough salary number, serviceable enough replacements); but it in entirely depends on his returning to health and to some of the improved form he displayed early on. I'm not holding my breath on either, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The other thing that could change the calculus is removing a salary. The only logical candidate here is really Teheran (substantial enough salary number, serviceable enough replacements); but it in entirely depends on his returning to health and to some of the improved form he displayed early on. I'm not holding my breath on either, though.
    I've given up hope on unloading his salary in any form aside from attaching a valuable prospect. Not interested. I think by the end of the season Teheran will be pitching out of the pen.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ugh, I think I had repressed any memory of Pedro Ciriaco in a Braves uni.
    And Ryan Lavarnway. I seem to remember some of us thinking he could be a diamond-in-the-rough because he showed some power in the minors. And, yes, I think I was one of him.

Not only could he not hit, he was an awful catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Through the first 12 home games in comparison to last year Braves are averaging 34 more fans per game.

Thats a good sign IMO for two reasons:

1) Last year was inflated early on for the 'newness' of the park
    2) This year the weather was not condusive to sitting down in an open space for a long period of time.

I'm looking forward to getting more information on this as the season wears on. Maybe the Braves can expect an attendance bump of 100K if we are competing for a WC.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Through the first 12 home games in comparison to last year Braves are averaging 34 more fans per game.

Thats a good sign IMO for two reasons:

1) Last year was inflated early on for the 'newness' of the park
    2) This year the weather was not condusive to sitting down in an open space for a long period of time.

I'm looking forward to getting more information on this as the season wears on. Maybe the Braves can expect an attendance bump of 100K if we are competing for a WC.
    I have a spreadsheet!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Dumb question. If Bourjous re-signs will the Braves' obligation to him be offset by what his new team pays him or will he simply get his new salary on top of what the Braves pay him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the Braves are "saddled by debt" and aren't going to trade multiple prospects it's a little difficult to see how they are going to be particularly "aggressive" on the trade market.

Probably "creative" would be the better adjective I would imagine if both of those things are true.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the Braves are "saddled by debt" and aren't going to trade multiple prospects it's a little difficult to see how they are going to be particularly "aggressive" on the trade market.

Probably "creative" would be the better adjective I would imagine if both of those things are true.
    Even if "saddled by debt" their economics should be good. They borrowed at a great time to borrow money. If they borrowed half a billion dollars to build the Battery and ballpark at 4%, debt service would be $20M. And I doubt the ballclub has to subsidize the rest of the development; they've told us it's the other way round. So maybe half that is baseball team responsibility.

That's not quite a Markakis of interest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Even if "saddled by debt" their economics should be good. They borrowed at a great time to borrow money. If they borrowed half a billion dollars to build the Battery and ballpark at 4%, debt service would be $20M. And I doubt the ballclub has to subsidize the rest of the development; they've told us it's the other way round. So maybe half that is baseball team responsibility.

That's not quite a Markakis of interest.

In the interest of gathering information whether good, bad or indifferent here is something from Bowman's mailbag:

Are the Braves going to have a noticeably higher payroll next year?
    -- @BravesAmerica

At this stage, it seems safe to say the Braves' payroll for the 2019 season will still rest between $120 million-$130 million. The only players under contract beyond this season are Freeman, Teheran and Inciarte, who will combine to make $38 million. Approximately $13 million more could go toward arbitration-eligible players (Arodys Vizcaino, Mike Foltynewicz, Sam Freeman and Dan Winkler). Then of course you have a number of players like Albies, Acuna and Swanson, who will all likely make less than $1 million as they wait to become arbitration-eligible.

When the Matt Kemp trade was made, I projected the Braves could have up to $80 million to spend this offseason. A team official later indicated the figure might be closer to $30 million-$50 million. More recently, I've heard the team will likely have at least $50 million to use as they peruse the upcoming offseason's talent-rich free-agent market and address multiple needs, which could include third base, catcher and right field.

How much money is available to spend will also be influenced by the success of the team's top prospects over the course of the season. Rotation needs will be better understood once the team gets a better feel for what can be expected from Sean Newcomb, Luiz Gohara, Foltynewicz, Soroka, Kyle Wright and Kolby Allard. Austin Riley's rise will determine whether third base is truly considered an area of need.

This is a little confusing. Bowman has them with maybe 55 million committed to next season and spending 50 million on the FA market.

In the same article as saying they will be between 120-130m in payroll.

With random comment about big debt from national beat writer who was on top of last dysfunction, I am concerned.

Maybe Bowman just miscalculated what they have committed. Or maybe the Braves are looking at extensions. Or maybe they are looking at a 100-110m payroll regardless of what their attendance looks like.

That's not going to go over well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    In the interest of gathering information whether good, bad or indifferent here is something from Bowman's mailbag:

Are the Braves going to have a noticeably higher payroll next year?
    -- @BravesAmerica

At this stage, it seems safe to say the Braves' payroll for the 2019 season will still rest between $120 million-$130 million. The only players under contract beyond this season are Freeman, Teheran and Inciarte, who will combine to make $38 million. Approximately $13 million more could go toward arbitration-eligible players (Arodys Vizcaino, Mike Foltynewicz, Sam Freeman and Dan Winkler). Then of course you have a number of players like Albies, Acuna and Swanson, who will all likely make less than $1 million as they wait to become arbitration-eligible.

When the Matt Kemp trade was made, I projected the Braves could have up to $80 million to spend this offseason. A team official later indicated the figure might be closer to $30 million-$50 million. More recently, I've heard the team will likely have at least $50 million to use as they peruse the upcoming offseason's talent-rich free-agent market and address multiple needs, which could include third base, catcher and right field.

How much money is available to spend will also be influenced by the success of the team's top prospects over the course of the season. Rotation needs will be better understood once the team gets a better feel for what can be expected from Sean Newcomb, Luiz Gohara, Foltynewicz, Soroka, Kyle Wright and Kolby Allard. Austin Riley's rise will determine whether third base is truly considered an area of need.

This is a little confusing. Bowman has them with maybe 55 million committed to next season and spending 50 million on the FA market.

In the same article as saying they will be between 120-130m in payroll.

With random comment about big debt from national beat writer who was on top of last dysfunction, I am concerned.

Maybe Bowman just miscalculated what they have committed. Or maybe the Braves are looking at extensions. Or maybe they are looking at a 100-110m payroll regardless of what their attendance looks like.

That's not going to go over well.
    They have about 55-60M minimum commitments...assume a 125M payroll...that leaves 65-70M to play with...needs likely to include catcher, third and bryce harper
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Dumb question. If Bourjous re-signs will the Braves' obligation to him be offset by what his new team pays him or will he simply get his new salary on top of what the Braves pay him?
    should be less whatever he is signed for pro-rated to what they paid already.
    Coppy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They have about 55-60M minimum commitments...assume a 125M payroll...that leaves 65-70M to play with...needs likely to include catcher, third and bryce harper
    And yet the Braves beat writer is saying he was told by the team that they would have 30-50 million after Kemp trade and that now officials are giving him the top end number of 50, but still that limited figure.

Somewhat concerning unless they have some extensions to roll out whenever they want.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    should be less whatever he is signed for pro-rated to what they paid already.
    So they may save a little bit of money by releasing him?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    So they may save a little bit of money by releasing him?
    doubt he gets a MLB contract though
    Coppy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)