Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next years payroll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

Next years payroll

Bowman is saying we have 50 million to spend in the offseason. What would you spend it on?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    AJ Pollock in left field is the biggest no brainer out there for me. He'll be 31 most of next season which isn't ideal, but he's a strong defender, which AA values, and is putting it all together at the plate. I think he makes perfect sense for us.

I'm still not completely sold on Riley, so I'd at least be involved in the Donaldson talks but it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel and I hope Anthopoulos is smart enough not to give big money for extended deals to relievers, but I wouldn't be very surprised if he's back in Atlanta next year.

The part that's hardest to predict is what we do in trades. I think that'll be a big part of this, but just tough to know who will be available.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Saw this post by rajah on TalkingChop - apparently we have a debt problem causing a lower payroll: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/5/2...he-braves-debt
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Machado and Harper

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Neck 2 year extension.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Neck 2 year extension.
    Let's also see what we have in Flaherty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    For real though... if I squint I can see us signing Machado and Pollock. Let's also trade for Realmuto and some bullpen pieces and call it good. Easy as pie. I think our starting pitching will be fine and it's a waste of resources to trade for an ace now.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I refuse to talk about next years payroll until we finally all agree on the great Folty/Newcomb debate..
    Coppy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I refuse to talk about next years payroll until we finally all agree on the great Folty/Newcomb debate..
    The answer is “Soroka”.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (05-04-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Main issue facing the Braves is that they are something like $660M in debt and only had profits of $7M last year. MLB rules dictate a team can’t have more than 12x yearly profit in total debt.

So the Braves either need to get profits closer to $55M, or substantially pay down that debt. The easiest way to increase profit is to cut payroll, which is what we saw happen this season. Hopefully they can have the $120M+ payroll we are hoping for next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Main issue facing the Braves is that they are something like $660M in debt and only had profits of $7M last year. MLB rules dictate a team can’t have more than 12x yearly profit in total debt.

So the Braves either need to get profits closer to $55M, or substantially pay down that debt. The easiest way to increase profit is to cut payroll, which is what we saw happen this season. Hopefully they can have the $120M+ payroll we are hoping for next season.
    This was all covered verbatim like 6-8 posts up.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I smell some "creative accounting" coming soon. At least I hope that is the case.

They need to get the Battery off the books of the major league team somehow, while keeping the income streams. Maybe spin off the real estate interests into a separate entity, then lease them back to the Braves at a below market rate.

It's going to be one hell of a letdown if the new stadium revenue bump is more than offset by cuts to get within MLB debt limit rules.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The Brave’s payroll next year is $46 mil. That’s “if” we keep Julio and pay him 11mil and pick up the option on McCarthy also. Take that $19 mil off and “could” be sitting at $27 mil. Add back the other arb salaries at say $30 million (because we won’t keep all of them), and that puts the payroll at $57 mil...so we could spend a little over $60 mil (assuming payroll sits at $120 mil).

I think at least one (and probably two) of Folty, Julio and McCarthy will not be here. This depends on how Gohara and Allard progress of course. Rotation “could” be
    Newk, Gohara, Soroka, Allard and one of the three above. That would have FOUR pitchers on rookie wages. We might even go after a ace, but either way...past that...we will have four solid options.

I think Riley is a lock if he keeps to the same path for next year. If I’m AA...why go spend big money on a position that will not be a weakness. Riley might not be a super star, but he will be above average, dirt cheap and an immeadiate upgrade.

Maybe drop some money in the pen. Spend say $15 mil on two guys? Then what? Drop some money on an outfield position and bench?

What’s left? Catcher? Signing Suzuki and Flowers back would be fine for a year or two.

If we are careful...a couple of the “right” trades and a few good contracts will load this team up. I don’t think we have to sign a Machado or Harper to load down the payroll and possibly keep from locking up a ton of these rookies (Soroka, Acuna, Albies)...long term.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Seeming a lot easier these days...Newk.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    AJ Pollock in left field is the biggest no brainer out there for me. He'll be 31 most of next season which isn't ideal, but he's a strong defender, which AA values, and is putting it all together at the plate. I think he makes perfect sense for us.

I'm still not completely sold on Riley, so I'd at least be involved in the Donaldson talks but it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel and I hope Anthopoulos is smart enough not to give big money for extended deals to relievers, but I wouldn't be very surprised if he's back in Atlanta next year.

The part that's hardest to predict is what we do in trades. I think that'll be a big part of this, but just tough to know who will be available.
    So you want to be “in” on signing a then 33 year old to a big contract in his declining years?...but you figure Riley just won’t cut it? I can see if we go after Machado sure. Why in the world would you want Danaldson at his price and age, but have no interest in Riley on a minimum salary? Might as well just bring Joey bats in that case....

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Albies
    Acuña Jr
    Freeman
    Machado

Good luck facing that. Yeesh.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfan View Post
    Albies
    Acuña Jr
    Freeman
    Machado

Good luck facing that. Yeesh.
    In that case could Riley play left?

Machado wants to go back to SS btw

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    In that case could Riley play left?

Machado wants to go back to SS btw
    Cya later Dans.
    Forever Fredi

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Im not sure if its the best long term decision. Buts its appetizing to think about adding Manny to the mix. If he wants SS then Dansby has to go. I like Dansby but he isnt Machado.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So you want to be “in” on signing a then 33 year old to a big contract in his declining years?...but you figure Riley just won’t cut it? I can see if we go after Machado sure. Why in the world would you want Danaldson at his price and age, but have no interest in Riley on a minimum salary? Might as well just bring Joey bats in that case....
    Because I’m not convinced Riley will be good.