Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wren Interested in Bringing Hudson Back

David O'Brien @ajcbraves

#Braves Wren indicated interest in re-signing Tim Hudson

I'm all for this! A rotation of Hudson, Medlen, Minor, Tehran, and one either of Woods or Hale would not be bad at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves82 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Good. We need all the depth we can get.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I figured we would either go this route(signing Hudson and seeing if Teheran and Minor can turn into aces), or we would try and trade for a starter like David Price.

I think signing Hudson would be very smart either way. Him and Beachy would be question marks but would give us good depth to start the offseason. I could see us re-sign Huddy and making quick decisions on EOF and Venters, and then focusing the rest of the offseason on offense/bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sign him and JJ and call it a offseason for the pitching.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Good for depth, good for the experience and ability and it's the right thing to do. Huddy should not finish his Braves career with that injury. Hopefully, they'll agree to a real team-friendly deal and Tim can retire as a Brave (riding off into the sunset with his World Series Champion ring...)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravebonebook For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-14-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Fully support bringing him back. I really don't think he will be as big a question mark as others for the upcoming season. He is supposed to be healed next month, although with his age that is not a guarantee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Great. I'd rather go with Hudson and the current guys hoping that at least one steps up next year than to trade what it would take to get an ace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sign him and JJ and call it a offseason for the pitching.
    Wouldn't mind another arm in the bullpen. Too many health risks out there.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I love Hudson but I don't see why we bring him back. I don't want to block Alex Wood and if we bring anybody in then we need it to be a true number 1.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    I figured we would either go this route(signing Hudson and seeing if Teheran and Minor can turn into aces), or we would try and trade for a starter like David Price.

I think signing Hudson would be very smart either way. Him and Beachy would be question marks but would give us good depth to start the offseason. I could see us re-sign Huddy and making quick decisions on EOF and Venters, and then focusing the rest of the offseason on offense/bench.

I have a feeling Wren and Liberty for that matter doesn't want to pay a player 20 mil a year, especially a player that only plays once every 5 days. The payroll is not going to go up if they can help it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I love Hudson but I don't see why we bring him back. I don't want to block Alex Wood and if we bring anybody in then we need it to be a true number 1.
    Its a smart move because he is still a good pitcher that will come cheap and not require a long term investment. He is a veteran presence on the pitching staff that I think is a good influence on the rest of the staff. His overall ERA is misleading because he had a horrible May but he was pitching the best of anyone on the staff when he went down. If not for the injury he probably lowers it quite a bit from where it finished at. You dont want to block Alex Wood and you want to bring in a #1, what if I told you that you could have one of the two there. If we get an ace then its likely going to require trading Wood who is our best trade asset. If we dont trade for an ace then Wood competes with Beachy for the 5th spot in the rotation.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Sign him AND trade for Price.

Price
    Hudson
    Minor
    Teheran
    Medlen/Hale/Beachy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfan247 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-14-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves82 View Post
    David O'Brien @ajcbraves

#Braves Wren indicated interest in re-signing Tim Hudson

I'm all for this! A rotation of Hudson, Medlen, Minor, Tehran, and one either of Woods or Hale would not be bad at all.
    If this happens, and there's little doubt that there's mutual interest, that doesn't mean that the rotation's set. As others have mentioned in this thread, Beachy's definitely in the mix, esp. with the winter to rest/recover. Plus, Wren's job is to constantly be trying to improve the club. He realizes that he's going into the season without a bona fide staff ace to go head to head with Wainwright or Kershaw.

So, expect him to keep looking. If Wood and Hale start the year at Gwinnett, that won't exactly be a bad situation or one could be trade piece. For all of the bogush trade proposals, Terdoslavich and Hale + could be a nice starting point for a package to try and land David Price.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Um, Terdo and Hale wouldn't even get a return call from Tampa for Price. The package starts with Wood, and then Tampa gets pretty much anything else they want in addition. Wood + Gattis would be a pretty good starting point, and then Wren would have to add more.

Price will not be in Atlanta, and if he is it means Wren sold the future of the club in hopes of snagging a WS during the 2014/2015 window because there is ZERO chance Price signs long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Beachy should be ready for St, and Graham has been throwing already. Those two back in some capacity should really bolster our depth (I think Graham gets added at some point as a high leverage BP arm).
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Beachy should be ready for St, and Graham has been throwing already. Those two back in some capacity should really bolster our depth (I think Graham gets added at some point as a high leverage BP arm).
    I think the team should seriously consider putting Beachy in the bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Um, Terdo and Hale wouldn't even get a return call from Tampa for Price.
    You were another one who was on my ignore list @ Scout. That's what's needed here. It shouldn't be necessary for me to explain posts to people who don't bother to read clearly. The sarcasm ("Um") doesn't help your cause either.

Terdoslavich and Hale + could be a nice starting point for a package

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Am I a little too greedy to want to beef up the rotation? I mean I like the kids we have, but right now, (and maybe because the division series is still on my mind), I just look at this team and see another first round exit.

I'm not saying making our rotation stronger guarantees anything, but I am so sick of our playoff performance.

I'd bring Hudson back, but you know he's on the tail end of his career. He's what? A 3 at his best, and most likely a 4 or 5?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    Am I a little too greedy to want to beef up the rotation? I mean I like the kids we have, but right now, (and maybe because the division series is still on my mind), I just look at this team and see another first round exit.

I'm not saying making our rotation stronger guarantees anything, but I am so sick of our playoff performance.

I'd bring Hudson back, but you know he's on the tail end of his career. He's what? A 3 or 4?
    For the sake of not overestimating the rotation, I would depend on him to be a #4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post

I'd bring Hudson back, but you know he's on the tail end of his career. He's what? A 3 at his best, and most likely a 4 or 5?
    It's not being greedy, but bringing Hudson back and wanting to beef up the rotation are not mutually exclusive. A healthy Hudson and Beachy immediately improves the situation, but does not preclude the possibility of acquiring another starter. Typically, teams are going 8 deep now to get through a season. So, this wouldn't mean that they're done by any means.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 10-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.