Thread: Strike Zone per Umpire

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts

Strike Zone per Umpire

Hardball Times just did a good article on the strike zone tendencies of umpires.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/an-exp...-strike-zones/

I'm mostly posting this so we can reference the image ranking each umpire's strikes called per game when guys are pitching.

For example, in Newk's last game, he had Barrett behind the plate, who just so happens to call the 3rd most strikes in all of MLB. Tony Randazzo was behind the plate for his start in COL, but he isn't listed in the pic.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-04-2018), jpx7 (05-04-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Cool article, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a thing that might change over the years though based on what was said about Davis having become one of the most consistent umps.

Kinda goes back to the idea that we should dislike umps based on temperament more than specific ball v strike calls

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Cool article, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a thing that might change over the years though based on what was said about Davis having become one of the most consistent umps.

Kinda goes back to the idea that we should dislike umps based on temperament more than specific ball v strike calls
    As long as they are consistent I think they are all decent enough. I would much prefer robo-umps though.

It would also be interesting to see if certain pitchers benefit from larger strike zones more so than other pitchers. Newk got a lot of high strikes the other night.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    As long as they are consistent I think they are all decent enough. I would much prefer robo-umps though.

It would also be interesting to see if certain pitchers benefit from larger strike zones more so than other pitchers. Newk got a lot of high strikes the other night.
    I was thinking about that as well. If Newk got strike calling umps every game he’d probably be an ace

I think it’s almost safe to assume that some pitchers benefit more than others from wider strike zones - either guys with command or guys that barely miss on the outside portion of the plate would benefit more than guys who miss on the inside or in the middle of the plate