Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SATURDAY MINORS final: 5/518. CINCO DE MAYO!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Older, college-pick player excelling against younger competition: he merits somewhat aggressive promotion, through at least AA, if he handles a league like he has Low-A.
    .34 ERA is a tad bit more than that. That’s not “excelling” ....that’s destroying it. He could bump up a whole run and it would still be excellent. His stuff is there and control also...he’s the real deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Not sure about him being in the majors that quick, but you could very well be right. He’s a stud.
    Yeah it's a long shot... Moreso depending on current pitcher health and effectiveness

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    .34 ERA is a tad bit more than that. That’s not “excelling” ....that’s destroying it. He could bump up a whole run and it would still be excellent. His stuff is there and control also...he’s the real deal.
    I was talking about Bruce Zimmermann—a candidate to replace Wilson at High-A—not Bryse. Wilson was selected out of high-school, is three years younger, comes with a better pedigree, and is indeed destroying it this season. Zimmermann is merely excelling (33/2 K/BB in 26.2 IP), but more than Wilson needs to be pushed given his age relative to level. Both are nice mid-round surprises though—Zimmermann even more so, actually, since he was a “senior sign”.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Will be fun to look back at the 2015 draft in 5 years. May be one of the best in braves history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The fact riley is hitting with this much power in Miss has to be a great sign right? I mean other than Acuna who does this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Not on this topic but shoot, if Bryse performs well in AA, you can throw him in the 5th starter mix for spring next year too. That's why while I'm not dismissing the fact that Fried COULD become a starter, it's going to be tough at this point.
    This is the very reason why you need to give a shot to fried right away. Put aside your thoughts in him...if he shows he can be a starter then it's just another trade chip for a team that has the most in baseball.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I was talking about Bruce Zimmermann—a candidate to replace Wilson at High-A—not Bryse. Wilson was selected out of high-school, is three years younger, comes with a better pedigree, and is indeed destroying it this season. Zimmermann is merely excelling (33/2 K/BB in 26.2 IP), but more than Wilson needs to be pushed given his age relative to level. Both are nice mid-round surprises though—Zimmermann even more so, actually, since he was a “senior sign”.
    Ha whoops sorry. Yeah, I didn’t that Wilson was out of HS, but I was thinking “Wow...what else does he has to prove??”.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Riley should make nice trade bait now that this Bustista experiment is off to a great start.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is the very reason why you need to give a shot to fried right away. Put aside your thoughts in him...if he shows he can be a starter then it's just another trade chip for a team that has the most in baseball.
    Fried’s Shot at the rotation has probably past. Not that he doesn’t deserve one. Most any other team...he might be their top pitching prospect. Here though, there are too many other guys that are about to pass him. I think he had his shot already and never really grabbed it. That’s not anything that’s really bad...pretty normal.

He is likely to be traded. Allard is also likely to be traded. Not that they are bad, but there are only so many spots in the rotation. At this point, you have to think Newk, Soroka and Julio are locks. Unless he regresses...so is Folty. So unless Gohara never recovers...where is the spot?

There could always be “that” spot with a guy imploding or injury, but that’s probably the only way he gets a shot going forward.

If I’m Tampa and need multiple pitchers...I would take a package of Fried, Allard and like Anderson. That’s three first rounders and really two of those three (if not all three),do not have a chance of making our rotation unless injuries happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Fried’s Shot at the rotation has probably past. Not that he doesn’t deserve one. Most any other team...he might be their top pitching prospect. Here though, there are too many other guys that are about to pass him. I think he had his shot already and never really grabbed it. That’s not anything that’s really bad...pretty normal.

He is likely to be traded. Allard is also likely to be traded. Not that they are bad, but there are only so many spots in the rotation. At this point, you have to think Newk, Soroka and Julio are locks. Unless he regresses...so is Folty. So unless Gohara never recovers...where is the spot?

There could always be “that” spot with a guy imploding or injury, but that’s probably the only way he gets a shot going forward.

If I’m Tampa and need multiple pitchers...I would take a package of Fried, Allard and like Anderson. That’s three first rounders and really two of those three (if not all three),do not have a chance of making our rotation unless injuries happen.
    Fair argument but clearly the consensus opinion on folty and his future is not one that I share.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Fair argument but clearly the consensus opinion on folty and his future is not one that I share.
    I would be willing to trade Folty also. Not saying i actively look to trade him, but listen to the right offer. He is a arb guy now and will be making more each year. I think he is higher risk to tank than others. His ceiling of course is why anyone would want him. Is he about to steadily become a TOR guy or just about to turn back into a pumpkin.

His mental makeup has me thinking there is a
    Much better chance he turns into a pumpkin. Newk who has been the same type in a way...has a complete different make up mentally.

I listen to offers on Folty and Julio all day long.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

I’d trade Julio or Folty before I’d trade Allard. No way they are locks to stay in the rotation.
    Last edited by ball4life32; 05-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Folty is one good pitching coach away from becoming a strikeout machine.
    Coppy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Folty is one good pitching coach away from becoming a strikeout machine.
    You mean one good mental coach.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    You mean one good mental coach.
    Needs to go see who Smoltzie saw

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Needs to go see who Smoltzie saw
    Smoltz had a completely different mental make up to me though.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    You can never be sure with pitchers due to injuries, but even if you don't consider Folty as a part of the future (and he's not a part of it if he ultimately fails as a starter as because of his issues, he's not a bullpen guy either but that's not the point here), to me you have 3 spots, barring injury disaster that are gone for 2019 already. Then its likely, even if the Braves don't trade for a young veteran as a starter, that a veteran is filling in for the 4th spot.

Then you have the 5th spot, but the thing is, you can throw in every young starter as a possibility here. Gohara if he gets his life together would likely be the favorite and if not, you have guys like Allard, if Toussaint has his results live up to the peripherals, if Wright can ultimately put up a good 2018 in the end, and even Bryse Wilson if he dominates in AA...

The ultimate point is the Max Fried, long term starter ship barring circumstances, has sailed away into the sunset already and really, even though he got starts last year, it sailed away last year. It's not hating him, it's just telling the truth.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 05-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    You can never be sure with pitchers due to injuries, but even if you don't consider Folty as a part of the future (and he's not a part of it if he ultimately fails as a starter as because of his issues, he's not a bullpen guy either but that's not the point here), to me you have 3 spots, barring injury disaster that are gone for 2019 already. Then its likely, even if the Braves don't trade for a young veteran as a starter, that a veteran is filling in for the 4th spot.

Then you have the 5th spot, but the thing is, you can throw in every young starter as a possibility here. Gohara if he gets his life together would likely be the favorite and if not, you have guys like Allard, if Toussaint has his results live up to the peripherals, if Wright can ultimately put up a good 2018 in the end, and even Bryse Wilson if he dominates in AA...

The ultimate point is the Max Fried, long term starter ship barring circumstances, has sailed away into the sunset already and really, even though he got starts last year, it sailed away last year. It's not hating him, it's just telling the truth.
    Truth

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Fried's only chance for redemption I believe is to learn a good two-seamer.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2018)