Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/7...odgers-pirates

This article at least puts the trade deadline in perspective as it outlines what everyone did in the last couple of weeks.

Not vouching for all their grades, but I think their putting it in the didn't move the needle much category is correct. Braves need outperformance for these moves to make a big impact.

It would be interesting if someone would calculate the net expected wins added from the Braves' moves.

I think they showed support to the team and made some moves that might help, but the things other contenders did were probably bigger on paper.

We will see how it all plays out.
    Not exactly net wins added, but FG just put out an article showing who increased their playoff odds the most:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/zips...tional-league/

The Braves improved their odds by 3.1% at the expense of very little future value. I give AA's first deadline a solid B.

They could have likely increased their odds by another 1%-2% had they added a LHH 3B and acquired better BP pieces, and they probably could have done so without giving up many more future wins than they did. That would have gotten an A+ from me.

However, I wouldn't disagree with someone who said, "Touki and Gohara will likely improve the BP as much or more than any reasonable trade acquisition, so the Braves didn't need to spend any resources on the BP".
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2018), jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not exactly net wins added, but FG just put out an article showing who increased their playoff odds the most:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/zips...tional-league/

The Braves improved their odds by 3.1% at the expense of very little future value. I give AA's first deadline a solid B.

They could have likely increased their odds by another 1%-2% had they added a LHH 3B and acquired better BP pieces, and they probably could have done so without giving up many more future wins than they did. That would have gotten an A+ from me.

However, I wouldn't disagree with someone who said, "Touki and Gohara will likely improve the BP as much or more than any reasonable trade acquisition, so the Braves didn't need to spend any resources on the BP".
    So adding Machado improved the Dodgers playoff odds by about 7%. They didn't do odds of winning the WS, but it is likely this increased by no more than 2%. Something to keep in mind next time someone wants the Braves to go "all in."
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So adding Machado improved the Dodgers playoff odds by about 7%. They didn't do odds of winning the WS, but it is likely this increased by no more than 2%. Something to keep in mind next time someone wants the Braves to go "all in."
    In a sport where the odds of winning a single playoff game vary from about 45% to 55%, I'd say a 2% swing is significant....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2018), jpx7 (08-02-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-04-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    In a sport where the odds of winning a single playoff game vary from about 45% to 55%, I'd say a 2% swing is significant....
    I’d think 7% increase in playoff odds is pretty huge for a single player addition, too.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (08-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’d think 7% increase in playoff odds is pretty huge for a single player addition, too.
    The Braves acquired 4 players who cumulatively didn't increase their playoff odds half as much as adding Machado.

Think about that for a second...that's the definition of an impact player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I said no more than 2%. Playing around the numbers have convinced me it is somewhere between 1 and 2%. My best estimate is trading for Manny increased the Dodgers odds of winning it all from 11.5% to 13.0%. Something like that. Its a useful thing to keep in mind. Not trivial. But no one ever goes into the playoffs as a prohibitive favorite to win it all and even picking up some very good players does not change that.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-02-2018 at 02:35 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I said no more than 2%. Playing around the numbers have convinced me it is somewhere between 1 and 2%. My best estimate is trading for Manny increased the Dodgers odds of winning it all from 11.5% to 13.0%. Something like that. Its a useful thing to keep in mind. Not trivial. But no one ever goes into the playoffs as a prohibitive favorite to win it all and even picking up some very good players does not change that.
    Also not trivial that it probably made a lot more sense for the Dodgers to pay the going-rate for that 1-2% bump, versus the Braves. They have a much greater chance of retaining Machado’s services long-term if they can sell him on their clubhouse/culture/city over the next few months. They’re at the middle of their seeming competitive-window, versus just opening it up. And they’ve graduated a lot of position-player talent to their major-league team the past few years, so they can better weather trading the three positional prospects the trade required (alongside the two arms the Braves could more easily match).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Also not trivial that it probably made a lot more sense for the Dodgers to pay the going-rate for that 1-2% bump, versus the Braves. They have a much greater chance of retaining Machado’s services long-term if they can sell him on their clubhouse/culture/city over the next few months. They’re at the middle of their seeming competitive-window, versus just opening it up. And they’ve graduated a lot of position-player talent to their major-league team the past few years, so they can better weather trading the three positional prospects the trade required (alongside the two arms the Braves could more easily match).
    Hey, we have a 4% chance of winning the WS this year. I'd give my left arm to get that up to...ah never mind.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Hey, we have a 4% chance of winning the WS this year. I'd give my left arm to get that up to...ah never mind.
    Would the fact that Braves are only ~50% to make the playoffs, but would’ve jumped to ~60% with Machado, mean that his addition would have a greater effect on their WS odds, since the former is a necessary condition of the latter? The Dodgers moved from ~70% to ~80%, so they already had a much greater chance of satisfying that basic precondition, which I assume is baked into WS odds somehow.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Would the fact that Braves are only ~50% to make the playoffs, but would’ve jumped to ~60% with Machado, mean that his addition would have a greater effect on their WS odds, since the former is a necessary condition of the latter? The Dodgers moved from ~70% to ~80%, so they already had a much greater chance of satisfying that basic precondition, which I assume is baked into WS odds somehow.
    Also baked into those odds is the chances of playing in the WC game. Being in that game essentially cuts a teams championship odds in half vs winning the division.

I'm going to guess without even looking that the Braves are much more likely to to play in the WC game than the Dodgers are.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't think so. Some of it has to do with odds of making it to the WC as opposed to winning the division. If most of the increase in our playoff chances come via the WC there is a smaller effect on the WS odds. Other than the WC wrinkle, I think everything scales up by a similar amount.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Also baked into those odds is the chances of playing in the WC game. Being in that game essentially cuts a teams championship odds in half vs winning the division.

I'm going to guess without even looking that the Braves are much more likely to to play in the WC game than the Dodgers are.
    Yes. Although the difference is less than I expected. About 30% of the Braves playoff chances come via the WC vs about 20% for the Dodgers.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

I don't think so. Some of it has to do with odds of making it to the WC as opposed to winning the division. If most of the increase in our playoff chances come via the WC there is a smaller effect on the WS odds. Other than the WC wrinkle, I think everything scales up by a similar amount.
    So if adding Machado made the Braves a lot more likely to win the division (versus just making the WC play-in), it’s possibly Machado could’ve caused more than a 1-2% improvement for the Braves’ WS odds? Maybe more in the 3-4% range, given Enscheff’s “odds in half” note?

Purely academic, I know—and I still think the cost made a lot more sense for the Dodgers. But this could narrow the calculus a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So if adding Machado made the Braves a lot more likely to win the division (versus just making the WC play-in), it’s possibly Machado could’ve caused more than a 1-2% improvement for the Braves’ WS odds? Maybe more in the 3-4% range, given Enscheff’s “odds in half” note?

Purely academic, I know—and I still think the cost made a lot more sense for the Dodgers. But this could narrow the calculus a little bit.
    I think so. Some of the projection systems have us finishing a game back of the Phillies. I imagine that adding Machado in addition to increasing our playoff odds would also redistribute those odds from the WC to division title.

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ere-helps-most

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I still wouldn't trade what it would have taken for Manny.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Except Donaldson is a RH bat.
    I don’t know his splits but who cares

The point is a solid defensive 3b who hits over 800 ops vs rh. Healthy Donaldson doesn’t matter what hand he is using.

Plus Swanson is not hitting .... if we were playing a wc game is comargo our ss?

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I don’t think you take DS’s glove out of the line up.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I still wouldn't trade what it would have taken for Manny.
    LA traded one top 100 guy for him, what's a similar cost from the Braves POV?

Something like Allard, Jackson, Demeritte, Wiegel, Ynao?
    Last edited by Heyward; 08-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    LA traded one top 100 guy for him, what's a similar cost from the Braves POV?

Something like Allard, Jackson, Demeritte, Wiegel, Ynao?
    Demeritte

"I am your retribution."