Page 133 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    BP (which has always liked us) puts our WS odds at 9.1% this morning.

Some notable 7-day deltas for playoff odds in the NL:

Phillies down 29.6%. Ouch! That's officially a fade.
    Dodgers down 20.5%. Machado was a good move. But there is no guarantee in baseball.
    Cardinals up 19.8%.
    Rockies up 22.1%.
    Diamondbacks up 17.0%.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Dodgers down 20.5%. Machado was a good move. But there is no guarantee in baseball.

Cardinals up 19.8%.
    Rockies up 22.1%.
    Diamondbacks up 17.0%.
    Dodgers now 3.5 back in the WC. For all the cash and smart stuff and players. Baseball is funny.

Would Arizona be the favorite in the NL if you start talking about series matchups then?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Cardinals up 19.8%.
    Rockies up 22.1%.
    Diamondbacks up 17.0%.
    According to BP's most recent Hit List, the NL East "should be" as follows based on 2nd and 3rd order win percentages:

Braves 72-73 wins
    Nats 70-71 wins
    Phils 63-64 wins

The Phils have essentially been as lucky as the Nats have been unlucky. This has held mostly true all season, and it's finally starting to show a bit for the Phils.

The Nats just can't seem to get out of their own way, and it's joyous to watch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (08-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It might also be helpful to understand that what Gausman is doing with the Braves is completely unsustainable.

Yes, folks cite his nice WAR number since coming to Atlanta, but he's doing it based on a .238 BABIP and a 4.3% HR/FB rate. His career numbers are .312 and 13.6%, which are very typical values. You don't have to be a nerd to understand what type of regression is in store based on those numbers.

He has also seen his K rate drop all the way to 5.67 K/9 with the Braves. No level of nerdiness is required to know that's not a great sign.

All told, his 2.00 ERA is a mirage, while his 3.16 FIP and 4.08 xFIP tell a story much closer to the truth.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It might also be helpful to understand that what Gausman is doing with the Braves is completely unsustainable.

Yes, folks cite his nice WAR number since coming to Atlanta, but he's doing it based on a .238 BABIP and a 4.3% HR/FB rate. His career numbers are .312 and 13.6%, which are very typical values. You don't have to be a nerd to understand what type of regression is in store based on those numbers.

He has also seen his K rate drop all the way to 5.67 K/9 with the Braves. No level of nerdiness is required to know that's not a great sign.

All told, his 2.00 ERA is a mirage, while his 3.16 FIP and 4.08 xFIP tell a story much closer to the truth.
    it's all SSS, including the k rate.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    There's this narrative going around that "the Braves fixed Kevin Gausman!", by showing him how important it is to throw first pitch strikes.

The point is that Kevin Gausman with the Braves is exactly what he was with the O's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Right, why would his BABIP and HR/FB be unsustainable (and yes, they are), while his K rate is?

I'll take a 3.16 FIP all day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    There's this narrative going around that "the Braves fixed Kevin Gausman!", by showing him how important it is to throw first pitch strikes.

The point is that Kevin Gausman with the Braves is exactly what he was with the O's.
    How many people really think that? For someone who apparently hates straw men, you sure do love kicking them down.

I think people thought, ok good, he's a decent MLB starter who can help us, and we might even get the benefit of him pitching to a new league initially. That's about it.

Even you said, 'The early returns on the Gaus trade couldnt have been much better' after his last start.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (08-23-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I would like to meet the person who thinks chuckie showed anyone anything about throwing strikes.
    Coppy

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-24-2018), DirkPiggler (08-23-2018), Tapate50 (08-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    How many people really think that? For someone who apparently hates straw men, you sure do love kicking them down.

I think people thought, ok good, he's a decent MLB starter who can help us, and we might even get the benefit of him pitching to a new league initially. That's about it.

Even you said, 'The early returns on the Gaus trade couldnt have been much better' after his last start.
    https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/8/2...ore-didnt-know

And yes, the returns so far couldn't have been much better, even if those returns are unsustainable.

Once again, reading comprehension gets the best of you...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would like to meet the person who thinks chuckie showed anyone anything about throwing strikes.
    Some nerd with softer hands than you showed him a quick print out. It wasn't Chuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Who the hell abused you as a child? Jesus, man.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If someone else had said the early returns couldn't be much better, you'd assume they were trying to say that meant he would continue it, shout at them about how unsustainable it was, mock them for being stupid, and then start a thread listing out why everyone on here is a dumb idiot who can't talk trash like you, never played ball like you, and list out 25 stats that prove how much of a blind homer everyone is.

If you're going to respond to another website on here, at least link what you're responding to.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If someone else had said the early returns couldn't be much better, you'd assume they were trying to say that meant he would continue it, shout at them about how unsustainable it was, mock them for being stupid, and then start a thread listing out why everyone on here is a dumb idiot who can't talk trash like you, never played ball like you, and list out 25 stats that prove how much of a blind homer everyone is.

If you're going to respond to another website on here, at least link what you're responding to.
    LOL, I suppose it's hard for some to understand what the comment "early returns" means. I'm not surprised you were confused, but it in no way implies it is sustainable.

But hey, nice attempt at building a straw man to knock down about 30 minutes after incorrectly accusing me of doing the same haha.

Consistent logical thought and reading comprehension are both proving hard for you today it seems. Maybe it's time for a nap?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Who the hell abused you as a child? Jesus, man.
    Why is this guy still allowed to post on this forum...he should have been banned long ago

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Why is this guy still allowed to post on this forum...he should have been banned long ago
    Criticizing someone's reading comprehension is not against board rules.

Perhaps you should review them?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

If you can split the difference in his FIP and xFIP and clock in around 3.50 ERA, it would be a huge acquisition.

Even if you just gave him about a half run for changing leagues, he'd be very useful at 4.00 ERA and the arm strength to make it through the playoffs.

Nothing but accolades for the pitching acquisitions that Anthopolous made from me. I was skeptical that Venters had anything left, but that's been a lovely so far.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Sources: the braves claimed Mark Reynolds on waivers, and he was pulled back by the nats (happened a few/several days ago). Upshot: Reynolds remains a nat

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    You're so right but they have a mod on this site that trolls and mocks people so it's not surprising he is still here. I just ignore him (them). I'm surprised Enscheff doesn't own the website.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    LOL, I suppose it's hard for some to understand what the comment "early returns" means. I'm not surprised you were confused, but it in no way implies it is sustainable.

But hey, nice attempt at building a straw man to knock down about 30 minutes after incorrectly accusing me of doing the same haha.

Consistent logical thought and reading comprehension are both proving hard for you today it seems. Maybe it's time for a nap?
    For someone who sees himself as extremely smart, you're not very good at understanding a pretty clear point.