Page 135 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Where's he getting ABs in Gwinnett? Certainly not over Riley, and probably not over Ruiz. Maybe they'll play him at 2B.
    I suppose you missed the game yesterday, he played second base and went 0-3 with 2 K's. They may move him around a bit, just so he is in the line-up. He may even DH some like Kazmir did last night. But that won't effect Riley and probably won't Ruiz outside of maybe one regular rest off day. It's more likely to be others that may sit where he can play.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 08-24-2018 at 05:10 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    The stats sound like BiL.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So here's the million dollar question. The Braves won't be in the market for any of the big free agents, I'm sure of it. The Braves have a potential hole in RF/LF coming up.

Conversely, a team like the Cubs could perhaps consider making a move for Harper. So could the Braves make a move to bring Heyward back to the Braves? Heyward has found some old form recently, looks like if healthy he could perhaps be a 4+ WAR player again, though given his age there's a big issue of can his defensive value hold up.

So play this game, what do the cubs need, pitching and to free up money. Heyward is owed something like 110M. So we have to figure out what the value we value Heyward at.

Let's say Heyward we determine is easily worth 12M a year, that means we need to determine what it would take for the Cubs to kick in 50M. Gausman I think is a good start. Second is Fried. Is that doable for the Braves? Can they trade 2 semi-valuable pieces for a gamble? But that gamble could be a quality payoff.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    no on heyward. he won't be a 4-war player again. let's please look for someone more legitimate.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    no on heyward. he won't be a 4-war player again. let's please look for someone more legitimate.
    If this year's offensive resurgence isn't an aberration (and general reports are it isn't, nothing is super out of line) he's pretty close to in line offensively 2014, while his defense and baserunning isn't what it was then, he could find himself in the 4+ range on an oddly good defensive season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    If this year's offensive resurgence isn't an aberration (and general reports are it isn't, nothing is super out of line) he's pretty close to in line offensively 2014, while his defense and baserunning isn't what it was then, he could find himself in the 4+ range on an oddly good defensive season.
    His "resurgence" has him producing as a league average bat.

His defense is declining dramatically from its peak in 2014, as is almost always the case for players in their late 20s.

Hoping for an average hitter in his late 20s with declining defense to post a 4+ win season on the back of "an oddly good defensive season" seems like an extremely poor strategy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2018), Super (08-27-2018), UNCBlue012 (08-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think Conforto or Nimmo would look good in the Atl.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Conforto is a damn near perfect fit. I can't imagine the Mets dealing him to us, tho. I'd open up just about any prospect in talks for him. Wonder what it would cost.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Conforto is a damn near perfect fit. I can't imagine the Mets dealing him to us, tho. I'd open up just about any prospect in talks for him. Wonder what it would cost.
    Its a long shot, but the Mets FO is DUMM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Give me Nimmo all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Give me Nimmo all day.
    He's a long shot. I was thinking Conforto, as they don't seem really keen on him.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Give me Nimmo all day.
    conforto is having a down year. i think he's a really good bet to rebound and may come cheaper than nimmo this offseason, which is the main reason i'd personally target him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The Philthies have claimed Joey Bats of the Mets on waivers. Have until Tuesday to work out a deal.

Interesting.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Is heyward your favorite player ever?

Seems like a lot of money and trouble to get someone who isn’t all that good.

One you lose the power from your face it never comes back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The Philthies have claimed Joey Bats of the Mets on waivers. Have until Tuesday to work out a deal.

Interesting.
    maybe as a RH bench bat?
    another guy who doesn't play defense, tho. weird.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    So here's the million dollar question. The Braves won't be in the market for any of the big free agents, I'm sure of it. The Braves have a potential hole in RF/LF coming up.

Conversely, a team like the Cubs could perhaps consider making a move for Harper. So could the Braves make a move to bring Heyward back to the Braves? Heyward has found some old form recently, looks like if healthy he could perhaps be a 4+ WAR player again, though given his age there's a big issue of can his defensive value hold up.

So play this game, what do the cubs need, pitching and to free up money. Heyward is owed something like 110M. So we have to figure out what the value we value Heyward at.

Let's say Heyward we determine is easily worth 12M a year, that means we need to determine what it would take for the Cubs to kick in 50M. Gausman I think is a good start. Second is Fried. Is that doable for the Braves? Can they trade 2 semi-valuable pieces for a gamble? But that gamble could be a quality payoff.
    Heyward does not have positive value with that contract. Gausman and Fried for Heyward is a terrible trade for us.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-27-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Interesting.
    I love the desperation. God I hope they get him.
    Coppy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

This.... was not.... well thought out. Basically what you are saying is that we make the Cubs kick in 50 million dollars just so Heyward doesn't have negative surplus value, and then give them Gausman (a solid veteran #3-#4) plus a top 100ish prospect in Fried just to sweeten the deal for the Cubs even more. For a player who hasn't produced over a 100 OPS+ since 2014 and has rapidly declining defense?

I think we have found the Cub's most expedient route to winning another World Series guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    His "resurgence" has him producing as a league average bat.

His defense is declining dramatically from its peak in 2014, as is almost always the case for players in their late 20s.

Hoping for an average hitter in his late 20s with declining defense to post a 4+ win season on the back of "an oddly good defensive season" seems like an extremely poor strategy.
    We wouldn't need him to produce a 4+ WAR season to be of value at 12M a year. We've been paying Markakis 11M a year for an average fWAR of 1.6 per season. The 4 number was thrown out as a possible thing. Like he could perhaps be a 4 fWAR player not that I expect him to be that. I expect him to be about a 2-3 WAR player for the next 4-5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The two Cubs players I have interest in this off-season are Happ and Zobrist. Switch hitters who can play infield or outfield.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."