Page 14 of 143 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    So call him a 4 War guy. about 33 million of surplus value.

Ian Anderson or Wright plus something lesser is probably about right.

I'd of course be happy to do a pu pu platter of guys I don't love, but Giants would probably demand top 100 guy.

I'd think hard about it with my hesitation being the injury profile. Ultimately I probably wouldn't do it unless I'm making a couple of other moves.

It might not be time for it though. I'm considering that letting this year fall where it may is still the play. Wait a year to make your big moves.
    Pretty sure it will take more than that. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels would all be interested as well, driving up the price. And it isn't like the Giants are anxious to move him. They are still built to win now, so trading away Bumgarner would be punting 2019 away too.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    After leading the NL in runs and BABIP in April with marks of 151 and .317, the Braves are still #3 in runs (127) for May even after regressing back to a much more typical .296 BABIP.

They are maintaining a 9% BB rate. They are maintaining a 20% K rate. Their ISO has tailed off as regression inevitably came for a few HR/FB rates (like Albies).

This is still looking like a legit offense, even after the regression monster reared its ugly head. I would expect a bit more of a slide from Markakis, but this team is what it is offensively by now I think....good.

The SPs are almost dead middle of the NL pack in all relevant measures without getting any real contributions yet from Soroka or Gohara. I would be extremely hesitant to spend any significant resources on an impact SP. Bumgarner would cost an absolute fortune at the deadline.

The BP's wildness has actualy improved a lot this month, going from 6.26 BB/9 in April (worst in NL) to 2.73 in May (2nd best in NL). This is probably an average-ish BP, and it's almost a given they will add an arm at the deadline if they are still in contention. I would not be in favor of paying full retail price on a BP arm with control beyond this season.

The Braves are now average-ish or better at every single position on the diamond, so now it's a matter of sitting back and seeing who is for real. If Camargo is part of the answer we will know by the deadline. Fortunately he is getting the 400 PAs most folks wanted to see him get.
    Thanks for that rather consise summary. I remain guardedly optimistic that the Braves will remain contenders for at least a wild card.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Pretty sure it will take more than that. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels would all be interested as well, driving up the price. And it isn't like the Giants are anxious to move him. They are still built to win now, so trading away Bumgarner would be punting 2019 away too.
    Small correction: the Giants were built as if they could win now. They pretty clearly aren’t built to actually win now.

Hence why they should sell, even if they don’t/won’t.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-31-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-01-2018), Super (06-01-2018), Tapate50 (05-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Small correction: the Giants built as if they could win now. They pretty clearly aren’t built to actually win now.

Hence why they should sell, even if they don’t/won’t.
    Their pitching is pretty awful this year. But a healthy Cueto and MadBum would help change that. Their offense has been very good so far.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Here's my question for everyone. Say the magical run continues, and by the trading deadline, we're within reach of a wild card spot. Is there a pitcher currently on our roster you feel comfortable starting in a 1 game playoff? Especially going against a bonafide ace of the other team we'll be facing?

If the answer is no, we may have to consider that when it comes to trading for a starter at the deadline.
    Don't know why - especially given the steps forward that Folty and Newk appear to have taken - but recently got that funny feeling about Archer. Probably just heartburn.

Just not about to put anything past AA at this point with all the pieces he has available.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This type of thinking is outdated imo. It's team vs team not pitcher vs pitcher.
    I disagree. I'm not saying an ace will for certain win you that game, but they have a better chance of keeping you in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I disagree. I'm not saying an ace will for certain win you that game, but they have a better chance of keeping you in it.
    There are many ways to build a contending team. The Royals team that made 2 consecutive world series did not have a dominant #1 starter.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-01-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    To me the Braves need bullpen guys more than anything else. Herrera seems like he would be a good add. If the Giants did go into sell mode Tony Watson would be a good target.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    I have seen far too many aces **** the bed in recent years in the playoffs to buy into needing an ace. If someones giving away aces I'll take it but I dont want to be spending a lot of prospect capital on a starter. In terms of playoff strategy I prefer loading the pen. If we add a dominant reliever he wont start game 1 but he could pitch in every game of the series. Theres always a chance of an ace going on a hot streak but I think they are more valuable over the course of a long season than the playoffs.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-01-2018), jpx7 (05-31-2018)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    I agree with you for the most part, but Bumgarner is 4 - 0 in the WS with a 0.25 ERA. In 2014 he pitched a complete game shutout in Game 5 and then got a *5 inning* save in Game 7. In other words, he's as good as it gets and the guy you want on the mound for you in the playoffs. Who knows if they make him available, but he lives in NC in the offseason and an option for $12M in 2019. Definitely possible to resign him as we'd have the money and a good team around him.

He'd cost a fortune though, so pick two of:

1. Ronald Acuna, OF
    2. Mike Soroka, RHP
    3. Luiz Gohara, LHP
    4. Kyle Wright, RHP
    5. Cristian Pache, OF
    6. Kolby Allard, LHP
    7. Max Fried, LHP
    8. Austin Riley, 3B
    9. Bryse Wilson, RHP
    10. Ian Anderson, RHP

And two of:

11. Alex Jackson, C
    12. Touki Toussaint, RHP
    13. William Contreras, C
    14. Tucker Davidson, LHP
    15. Joey Wentz, LHP
    16. Patrick Weigel, RHP
    17. A.J. Minter, LHP
    18. Dustin Peterson, OF
    19. Drew Waters, OF
    20. Kyler Muller, LHP
    21. Travis Demeritte, IF
    22. Tyler Pike, LHP
    23. Jean Carlos Encarnacion, 3B
    24. Matt Withrow, RHP
    25. Freddy Tarnok, RHP
    26. Jacob Lindgren, LHP
    27. Huascar Ynoa, RHP
    28. Isranel Wilson, OF
    29. Brett Cumberland, C/OF
    30. Akeel Morris, RHP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    Well I could certainly put together a lot of packages with that framework that are acceptable to me. From the first list Acuna,Soroka,Gohara,Pace,Anderson and Riley are 100% off limits. 2 out of Wright,Allard,Fried, and Wilson is fine by me. For the second list only Touki/Wentz/Minter are off limits. Waters/Muller/Weigel I would be reluctant to part with but for an ace I could stomach it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There are many ways to build a contending team. The Royals team that made 2 consecutive world series did not have a dominant #1 starter.
    Many around here have spent a lot of time taking about how dumb KC’s approach was/is and how it was lucky.

Anyway, Bumgarner has a lot less control than Sale or Quintana (half as much or less) and after you adjust for all the injury they seem similar talents . So he shouldn’t require two top 50 prospects unless there is a serious bidding war, which there could very well be.

There is plenty of reason not to get into that discussion though. And sure the giants might not trade him. It’s just worth looking at, imo.

For the hopefully 30 starts in 2019 if not for this year.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-31-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm not saying you need an ace to win the playoffs. I'm talking about the wild card game. In the longer series it's not as essential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Having an ace makes you a lot more likely to win a playoff game than not having an ace would.

Nothing in baseball is guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    What's price tag on Donaldson? Allard or Anderson?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's price tag on Donaldson? Allard or Anderson?

Looking more like Wisler or Sims level at this point. Donaldson is struggling pretty heavily and has injury concerns. Unless he turns it on over the next 2 months, I can't imagine he'll command all that much as a half year rental.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    MadBum will cost way too much in terms of prospects, anyway. It ain't happening.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Here's my question for everyone. Say the magical run continues, and by the trading deadline, we're within reach of a wild card spot. Is there a pitcher currently on our roster you feel comfortable starting in a 1 game playoff? Especially going against a bonafide ace of the other team we'll be facing?

If the answer is no, we may have to consider that when it comes to trading for a starter at the deadline.
    I feel the opposite of how I thought I would feel if we ever got to this point. Last year I was a big Archerphile, or whomever you might name as an affordable, controllable ace.

Now I'm looking at the team and saying, let's go with what we've got. Keep developing. If you're unhappy with Mac or Julion, go with Soroka, Gohara and Allard, or the 5-6 behind them.

As for the front end and the one game playoff thing, nothing's a sure thing. But at this point you surely go with Newcomb or Folty, see if they take the next step. I've never been a big Folty fan because he strikes me as a brain-dead heaver, but if that were entirely true he wouldn't have had the two months he's just had.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    MadBum will cost way too much in terms of prospects, anyway. It ain't happening.
    He might but he's a guarantee, prospect arent.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think you'd throw Folty or Newk in a play-in game given the stuff they have. Both could get blown up or throw a gem. An ace would help more but its no guarantee they throw a gem either.

Regarding a MadBum trade, i'd offer something like Allard, Anderson, Muller, and a guy like Demeritte. Bigger question is MB's contract is up after 2019.