Page 16 of 143 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Rays are the pitching factory folks incorrectly think the Braves are.
    I think our new FO is embracing the analytics better and making our development of pitchers better. I think an upgrade at pitching coach is still needed but I am seeing better results from multiple pitchers. I don’t know what a pitching factory is really. But the Braves do at least have enough pitchers to fill the wharehouse.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Man give me Snell any day of the week if it's possible and doesn't take Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Touissant, Riley, or Pache... don't wanna give up Gohara or Wright but I'd definitely include them for someone like Snell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Man give me Snell any day of the week if it's possible and doesn't take Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Touissant, Riley, or Pache... don't wanna give up Gohara or Wright but I'd definitely include them for someone like Snell
    LOL, the Rays aren't trading Snell for another 4+ seasons.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Exactly. The Rays are even more budget crunched than the Braves. No way are they trading a pitcher with that much upside who will cost that little. The only way I could see them moving him would be for an Acuna or an Albies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Did I say they were?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Nick Cafardo seems to think we have money to burn and that we're in on Cole Hamels. I'm linking NJ.com because it is not behind a paywall like the Globe is and gives you the whole paragraph.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ees_brave.html

When the Texas Rangers visited Yankee Stadium last week, there was a lot of chatter about Cole Hamels being on the trading block, with the Yankees as a potential suitor.

But according to the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo, all eyes should be on another playoff-contending team (although the Yankees shouldn't be counted out just yet):

The Braves could pare as much as $60 million off their payroll in the offseason, which means they'll likely be a player in free agency and at the trade deadline, where they will likely go after a starting pitcher. The Braves are heading toward a playoff berth probably a year ahead of schedule. They have the money to go big -- perhaps on Cole Hamels for example -- if they so choose.

Here's why a contender would want Hamels: In four starts from April 30 to May 22, he faced the Indians, Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees. In 24 innings, he had a 1.88 ERA and .161 batting average against. Hamels is more than willing to give up his no-trade provision for the chance to pitch in the playoff hunt. At 34, Hamels is still very good. His $23 million salary and $6 million buyout of an option for 2019 becomes an issue. But his salary will only be half that by the trade deadline. He's well worth the investment and it looks like the Yankees could be interested.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the Mets continue to scuffle I wonder if they will make Frazier available. He would upgrade 3b this year and provide insurance in case Riley isn’t ready next year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Let’s hope the Braves don’t bail out the Rangers by acquiring the ghost of Cole Hamels.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Nick Cafardo seems to think we have money to burn and that we're in on Cole Hamels. I'm linking NJ.com because it is not behind a paywall like the Globe is and gives you the whole paragraph.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ees_brave.html

When the Texas Rangers visited Yankee Stadium last week, there was a lot of chatter about Cole Hamels being on the trading block, with the Yankees as a potential suitor.

But according to the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo, all eyes should be on another playoff-contending team (although the Yankees shouldn't be counted out just yet):

The Braves could pare as much as $60 million off their payroll in the offseason, which means they'll likely be a player in free agency and at the trade deadline, where they will likely go after a starting pitcher. The Braves are heading toward a playoff berth probably a year ahead of schedule. They have the money to go big -- perhaps on Cole Hamels for example -- if they so choose.

Here's why a contender would want Hamels: In four starts from April 30 to May 22, he faced the Indians, Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees. In 24 innings, he had a 1.88 ERA and .161 batting average against. Hamels is more than willing to give up his no-trade provision for the chance to pitch in the playoff hunt. At 34, Hamels is still very good. His $23 million salary and $6 million buyout of an option for 2019 becomes an issue. But his salary will only be half that by the trade deadline. He's well worth the investment and it looks like the Yankees could be interested.
    Can't imagine we'd be interested in Hamels. If we had "money to burn" on a rental, you'd think Machado's that guy.

I get that Hamels had a nice little stretch there, but you could probably make a pretty convincing argument that he doesn't particularly upgrade our rotation - certainly not if Gohara and Soroka are in it down the stretch.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Let’s hope the Braves don’t bail out the Rangers by acquiring the ghost of Cole Hamels.
    It’d be cost dependent, for sure, but I think he’d be an upgrade over Teheran or McCarthy. And there’s no chance the option vests, so 2019 is clear.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It’d be cost dependent, for sure, but I think he’d be an upgrade over Teheran or McCarthy. And there’s no chance the option vests, so 2019 is clear.
    i'd def take him if the prospect cost was as low as i think it'd be.
    not sure how many more times i want to see julio pitch after last night.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It won't vest, but it's still a $6M buyout for a team looking to field a legit playoff contender with a $120M budget. They could get a legit BP arm for that much.

I'd much rather see Allard than commit resources to Hamels, and I'm not a huge Allard fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    It won't vest, but it's still a $6M buyout for a team looking to field a legit playoff contender with a $120M budget. They could get a legit BP arm for that much.

I'd much rather see Allard than commit resources to Hamels, and I'm not a huge Allard fan.
    Part of the “cost” consideration is how much salary the Rangers can be induced to cover, buyout included.

But I’m not saying it’s my first choice; I just don’t think it’s an absoluely absurb, prima facie reject option, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Part of the “cost” consideration is how much salary the Rangers can be induced to cover, buyout included.

But I’m not saying it’s my first choice; I just don’t think it’s an absoluely absurb, prima facie reject option, either.
    I like the in house upgrades to the rotation better...Soroka and Gohara
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'd def take him if the prospect cost was as low as i think it'd be.
    not sure how many more times i want to see julio pitch after last night.
    Not sure Julio gets a postseason start - Folty, Newk, Soroka, Gohara.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    So you want Snell but dont wanna trade anything for him, what kinda **** is this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I like the in house upgrades to the rotation better...Soroka and Gohara
    Fair. I think I might prefer Hamels’ experience and VeteranPresence replacing one of the two lackluster vets—if the price is right—given the youth of the Braves’ current top duo, and given Hamels’ otherwise good numbers (big delta between ERA and FIP due to current hr-rate, but ERA and xFIP are pretty close, and other peripherals are solid). And there’s the option of bundling Beltre in there, too. But again, it’s also not my first choice for an upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Fair. I think I might prefer Hamels’ experience and VeteranPresence replacing one of the two lackluster vets—if the price is right—given the youth of the Braves’ current top duo, and given Hamels’ otherwise good numbers (big delta between ERA and FIP due to current hr-rate, but ERA and xFIP are pretty close, and other peripherals are solid). And there’s the option of bundling Beltre in there, too. But again, it’s also not my first choice for an upgrade.
    I also think McCarthy has pitched fairly well...a little unlucky with the BABIP...his stuff looks good to me
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I wouldnt be against Hamels but it would depend what it would actually cost for him, obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I also think McCarthy has pitched fairly well...a little unlucky with the BABIP...his stuff looks good to me
    I think his previous start is the only one I’ve actually watched this year, and he certainly looked solid, if unspectacular. Also didn’t realize how salt-and-pepper his hair was: definitely a good, sagacious sign for a VeteranPresence—and I would know, since my beard now looks similar after a year of grad school.