Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Jim Bowden on Sirius...

Said AA is heavily active in trying to get controllable assets. Every GM he's spoken to has said AA has negotiated with him about controllable assets. He believes we'll get one
    Got to think the most likely targets are Gray and Archer. I'd be after Odorizzi too, who also has 1 year of control remaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    A rotation led by Archer, Folty, and Newcomb is pretty formidable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Got to think the most likely targets are Gray and Archer. I'd be after Odorizzi too, who also has 1 year of control remaining.
    Archer makes more sense than the other two. Depending on the price. I don't see Gray and Odorizzi as being sufficient upgrades over the in-house options to be worth the trouble.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Archer makes more sense than the other two. Depending on the price. I don't see Gray and Odorizzi as being sufficient upgrades over the in-house options to be worth the trouble.
    I've never understood the infatuation with Sonny Gray (except that seeing he's from Tennessee, he probably grew up a Braves' fan and will undoubtedly play for the minimum to stay in Atlanta). To me, he's just another undersized RHP whose arm is going to fall off. Odorizzi has been terrible up here in Minnesota this season. His peripherals have been solid, but he's been the victim of the big inning all year. Not to rip open an old wound on the board, but given 2018 performance levels, the Rays would have had to send a prospect along with Odorizzi to the Braves to be worth Matt Adams.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've never understood the infatuation with Sonny Gray (except that seeing he's from Tennessee, he probably grew up a Braves' fan and will undoubtedly play for the minimum to stay in Atlanta). To me, he's just another undersized RHP whose arm is going to fall off. Odorizzi has been terrible up here in Minnesota this season. His peripherals have been solid, but he's been the victim of the big inning all year. Not to rip open an old wound on the board, but given 2018 performance levels, the Rays would have had to send a prospect along with Odorizzi to the Braves to be worth Matt Adams.
    Odorizzi ended up getting traded for next to nothing, which has always made that little board meme a little funny.

Gray is a short term reclamation project (with good prospects of success, I think) who I would only move on if the price was low. Which is possible.

I wouldn't object him to filling the one year stop gap role. I don't have any urgency towards giving the prospects opportunities. I figure they can force their way up when it is time. We are the past the point where guaranteeing playing time simply for development purposes is a worthy goal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Jim Bowden on Sirius...

Said AA is heavily active in trying to get controllable assets. Every GM he's spoken to has said AA has negotiated with him about controllable assets. He believes we'll get one
    Considering the Braves have added 2 BP arms at almost zero cost, it certainly appears they are saving their powder to make a larger impact long term addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    interesting to see the Cubs willing to move Happ for a starting pitcher with multiple years of contractual control...Happ is not a great defender but he can play a lot of positions

high strikeout rate...but someone worth giving up a young pitcher like Fried or Allard imo...I'd keep Gohara
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-30-2018 at 11:48 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    interesting to see the Cubs willing to move Happ for a starting pitcher with multiple years of contractual control...Happ is not a great defender but he can play a lot of positions

high strikeout rate...but someone worth giving up a young pitcher like Fried or Allard imo...I'd keep Gohara
    Happ makes Hessman look like a contact hitter, but there's no questioning his power potential. I think his problem defensively is that he suffers a bit under Maddon's "anyone can (and will) play anywhere at anytime" strategerizing. Put Happ at one position and let him learn to play it at least adequately so he can concentrate on just gripping and ripping at the plate. Think Daniel Murphy. Mets moved him all over the place his first couple of seasons before sticking him at 2B for good. He's still a lousy 2B, but he's developed into a really good hitter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    I think they are pretty significant upgrades over the in house options. None of the rookies have stepped up aside from Soroka who is injured and may not return this season. Fried has been hit or miss as a starter but struggles to get past the 5th inning and has a BB rate north of 5 currently. Who knows what to expect out of Gohara or Allard. Touki likely won't be given many major league starts if any at all.

Right now, we have 3 reliable pitchers, JT, and a question mark. Adding any of Archer, Gray, or Odorizzi would be huge upgrades, not just individually, but depth wise as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Man... after so much chatter yesterday it just seems like it's been shut off... another sign to me that something significant is coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I think they are pretty significant upgrades over the in house options. None of the rookies have stepped up aside from Soroka who is injured and may not return this season. Fried has been hit or miss as a starter but struggles to get past the 5th inning and has a BB rate north of 5 currently. Who knows what to expect out of Gohara or Allard. Touki likely won't be given many major league starts if any at all.

Right now, we have 3 reliable pitchers, JT, and a question mark. Adding any of Archer, Gray, or Odorizzi would be huge upgrades, not just individually, but depth wise as well.
    small sample but Max Fried has pitched to an xFIP of 3.61.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

The Cubs aren't looking for a prospect. They're looking for a starting pitcher.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 07-30-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: -ing

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

Fried has been quite good as a starter. Outside of his blister game in Milwaukee, he has been good. And since none of our pitchers can throw strikes. His walk rate as a starter is exceptable. I want him to get more shots and not be yo-yo’d from pen to starter to Gwinnett to pen to starter and back to Gwinnett.
    Coppy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Cubs aren't look for a prospect. They're looking for a starting pitcher.
    it is a long shot but they could have interest in a prospect who is major league ready

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Fried has been inconsistent, but I'd have to be bowled over to move him. He's shown me something.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    I don't think a huge trade is coming now. May be Sonny Gray or Stoman if you consider that huge. The problem is there doesn't appear to be many significant upgrades available right now aside for Realmuto, Degrom/Snydergaard, and Archer. I would rather not meet the value for Degrom or Realmuto.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I'd argue that Folty and Newcomb are relatively reliable. I'd put Sanchez and Teheran in about the same category of reliable, which is not particularly reliable. I am Anibal's biggest fan though and hope it holds up. I was a fan of that acquisition of his career and I'm happy it has gone well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Fried has been quite good as a starter. Outside of his blister game in Milwaukee, he has been good. And since none of our pitchers can throw strikes. His walk rate as a starter is exceptable. I want him to get more shots and not be yo-yo’d from pen to starter to Gwinnett to pen to starter and back to Gwinnett.
    he was also lights out in his two rehab starts...still small sample but encouraging

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    He's currently sporting a 5.9 BB rate as a starter, having walked at least 3 batters in every start. He won't keep this up if his walk rate stays over 5, you can bet on that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    That said I hope Fried does well. I certainly don't want to trade him. But we're in the thick of a playoff race and I absolutely don't trust him as reliable starting pitcher for the rest of this season.