Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Man... after so much chatter yesterday it just seems like it's been shut off... another sign to me that something significant is coming.
    The discussion on XM earlier today was that they were hearing there's tons of talk about relievers (as one would expect), and that once the floodgates open there will be quite a few of them moving quickly - just waiting for the first move.

Mark Topkin was also on the early show and said that he expects there's finally fire to go along with the Archer smoke - he expects him to be moved.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That said I hope Fried does well. I certainly don't want to trade him. But we're in the thick of a playoff race and I absolutely don't trust him as reliable starting pitcher for the rest of this season.
    Its a little bit of a conundrum. Young players learn in a playoff race, even when they come up a bit short.

But what I think makes a playoff race a bit different is you can't be too patient with a player who is struggling. This is where depth and options come in.

Left side of the infield: I would like an alternative to Camargo and Swanson. Culberson has provided way more than we have a right to expect, but I mean a better alternative than him.

Bullpen: I like Sam Freeman and Moylan more than most. But I don't think we can be too patient with them at this point. So I'm glad we got Venters and Brach. And I wouldn't hesitate to replace Freeman and Moylan if they continue to struggle. We have options in AAA. Phillips, Touki, Gohara, Allard.

Rotation: Again we can't be patient with guys who are struggling. If Teheran and Fried have a couple bad starts, brink in Gohara, Allard or Touki. Some of these young guys are going to sink but one or two will swim.

For the most part I think we are covered in terms of having some alternatives for guys who are unproven or struggling. I'm encouraged by recent starts by Fried, Touki, Allard and Gohara. The one area that I still see a need is infield. Someone like Beltre, Solarte, Dietrich or Happ.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-30-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2018), The Chosen One (07-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I really wish we would've given Phillips more of a look on the ML team by this point, at least in mop-up duty.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Fried's last 2 MLB starts have also been the starts where the spin rate on his FA has been the highest of any of his 8 career starts: 2062 and 2049. His VMov for the last 2 starts is 8.3", which is about Grade 40/45 (up from Grace 35), and gets his FA closer to average.

Fried was showing a SI early in the year, and now it looks like he's scrapped it and somehow added 50 more RPM on the FA lately. The extra spin rate is giving the FA more vertical life.

It seems clear to me that the new FO is tinkering with Fried, and that could be partly responsible for his worse command. I would not be in favor of trading him until the tinkering is done. He is a legit #3 if he irons out an average or better fastball (SI or FA) and average command.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I really wish we would've given Phillips more of a look on the ML team by this point, at least in mop-up duty.
    Phillips and some of the others will be coming up in September. The bigger question is do they come up a bit sooner for some of the guys who are struggling.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...n-gerrit-cole/

This is a good article detailing Cole's increase in spin rate when he joined the Astros. Like Fried (though not quite as bad), he had a low spin FA in the 2100-2200 range that produced below average rise of < 9".

Then he goes to the Astros and suddenly increases the spin rate to 2300+, and adds 1.5" of rise. This causes the Whiff% on his FA to double. Simply remarkable, and caused accusations of cheating by the Astros. We've seen very similar immediate improvements by guys like Peacock, Morton and Verlander as well.

Are the Braves getting Fried to do something similar, and we are only witnessing the preliminary effects so far? We can only hope so.

What if the Astros got their hands on Fried and turned him into a weapon?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-30-2018 at 01:26 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2018), Super (07-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Allard getting the call. Wonder who's off the 40-man?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Its a little bit of a conundrum. Young players learn in a playoff race, even when they come up a bit short.

But what I think makes a playoff race a bit different is you can't be too patient with a player who is struggling. This is where depth and options come in.

Left side of the infield: I would like an alternative to Camargo and Swanson. Culberson has provided way more than we have a right to expect, but I mean a better alternative than him.

Bullpen: I like Sam Freeman and Moylan more than most. But I don't think we can be too patient with them at this point. So I'm glad we got Venters and Brach. And I wouldn't hesitate to replace Freeman and Moylan if they continue to struggle. We have options in AAA. Phillips, Touki, Gohara, Allard.

Rotation: Again we can't be patient with guys who are struggling. If Teheran and Fried have a couple bad starts, brink in Gohara, Allard or Touki. Some of these young guys are going to sink but one or two will swim.

For the most part I think we are covered in terms of having some alternatives for guys who are unproven or struggling. I'm encouraged by recent starts by Fried, Touki, Allard and Gohara. The one area that I still see a need is infield. Someone like Beltre, Solarte, Dietrich or Happ.
    Saying you will replace one unproven player if he struggles with another unproven player is not in the way of a solution, imo.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Allard getting the call. Wonder who's off the 40-man?
    Didn't they just move McCarthy to the 60 Day DL? Wouldn't that clear a spot?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2018), Super (07-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    With the Nats reportedly ready to sell, one name that would make a significant difference in the 2nd half could be Gio Gonzalez. I know everyone fears inter-division trades, but I do believe the Nats have hurt the value of potential trade assets by waiting so long to sell. Many teams have already made their improvements, taking several suitors off the market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The discussion on XM earlier today was that they were hearing there's tons of talk about relievers (as one would expect), and that once the floodgates open there will be quite a few of them moving quickly - just waiting for the first move.

Mark Topkin was also on the early show and said that he expects there's finally fire to go along with the Archer smoke - he expects him to be moved.
    Saying a bunch of BP arms will move within the next 24 hours isn’t exactly a hot take.

We will see if one of your XM radio sources finally proves to be right.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuńa’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't think a huge trade is coming now. May be Sonny Gray or Stoman if you consider that huge. The problem is there doesn't appear to be many significant upgrades available right now aside for Realmuto, Degrom/Snydergaard, and Archer. I would rather not meet the value for Degrom or Realmuto.
    Now we are talking business.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Switching between three or four different sites trying to keep up with contracts, service time, advanced stats, super advanced stats, and team payrolls really gets crazy this time of year.

Someday, maybe someone will build the killer app for that stuff that has it all, though maybe there ain't money in doing that.

fangraphs could get a long way there by simply improving its contract and service time displays.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Switching between three or four different sites trying to keep up with contracts, service time, advanced stats, super advanced stats, and team payrolls really gets crazy this time of year.

Someday, maybe someone will build the killer app for that stuff that has it all, though maybe there ain't money in doing that.

fangraphs could get a long way there by simply improving its contract and service time displays.
    It wouldn't be hard to put that info into a sortable database. Just grunt work really.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    glorious

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    They might as well keep the young players and rebuild. This team has a ton of high value peices, but they do not function well together.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-30-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Saying you will replace one unproven player if he struggles with another unproven player is not in the way of a solution, imo.
    ever heard of a "proven" player slumping in September and October and getting benched...it happens...even with great clutch players like Carlos Beltran

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Rangers and Braves have discussed a trade involving Adrian Beltre.

The Braves have been mentioned as a possible fit before, but it appears that there's actually something to it. However, Morosi writes that it's "unclear if there's enough momentum" to get something done by Tuesday's deadline. Johan Camargo has quietely been pretty good this season (.777 OPS), so the Braves aren't exactly desperate. Beltre would have to waive his no-trade clause for a deal to take place, though he could welcome the chance to play for a contender. Morosi also mentions the Cubs as a possible fit given Kris Bryant's shoulder issue, though it appears more speculative than anything else.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Rangers and Braves have discussed a trade involving Adrian Beltre.

The Braves have been mentioned as a possible fit before, but it appears that there's actually something to it. However, Morosi writes that it's "unclear if there's enough momentum" to get something done by Tuesday's deadline. Johan Camargo has quietely been pretty good this season (.777 OPS), so the Braves aren't exactly desperate. Beltre would have to waive his no-trade clause for a deal to take place, though he could welcome the chance to play for a contender. Morosi also mentions the Cubs as a possible fit given Kris Bryant's shoulder issue, though it appears more speculative than anything else.
    Given Beltre's power decline, you've gotta figure that there would have to be more involved - Kela or Diekman - if AA's giving up much.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?