Page 85 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Just get Avilan for slot money and call it a deadline. We can get Beltre in August.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    While not trade Deadline, because there's no way he gets traded, what are the odds the Braves don't make a hard move on Kimbrel? Being competitive again and bringing back a hometown kid while closer shouldn't be the number 1 priority (figuring out LF should be) it would be a heck of a way to do it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Just get Avilan for slot money and call it a deadline. We can get Beltre in August.
    The ChiSox just traded away $1.5M in slot money to the Yankees for a fringe AA LHP.

You think they are interested in acquiring slot money in exchange for Avilan? Is this another shining example of your vast baseball knowledge?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Camargo currently a 100 wRC+ in July on a .300 BABIP.

After May walk rate at 19.2%, June walk rate at 7.8%, July 6.4%. K rate 17.5% in June; now 26.9 % in July.

Steady trend has been walks have been coming down and Ks have been coming steadily up. The occasional bit of pop and timely hitting has helped make him seem like a better hitter than he is, IMO. Higher BABIP in June helped his wRC+ stay above dead average.

Beltre has had a terrible July on the other hand. Perhaps not worth parting with any significant asset for him. I would not have a strong feeling as to which would end up being more valuable. I do enjoy Camargo's defense. He's sure handed there. Over the long haul I would rather see him picking it over there than downgrade that without the certainty of a major upgrade with bat. I'm not sure that Beltre gives you that guarantee now. But Braves need something to upgrade Ryan Flaherty and I do tend to agree that if it is a platoon bat for 3B that might be a good thing. Just not clear there are any real good options there. Solarte still looks like a good idea to me, but he's been at a minimum super unlucky since we first started discussing him.

Trying to get Donaldson through a post waivers trade after he comes back and shows something might still be the play depending on finances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The ChiSox just traded away $1.5M in slot money to the Yankees for a fringe AA LHP.

You think they are interested in acquiring slot money in exchange for Avilan? Is this the extent of your baseball knowledge?
    It doesn't have to be for slot money, just get Avilan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It doesn't have to be for slot money, just get Avilan.
    less of a priority now that we have Venters
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Camargo currently a 100 wRC+ in July on a .300 BABIP.

After May walk rate at 19.2%, June walk rate at 7.8%, July 6.4%. K rate 17.5% in June; now 26.9 % in July.

Steady trend has been walks have been coming down and Ks have been coming steadily up. The occasional bit of pop and timely hitting has helped make him seem like a better hitter than he is, IMO. Higher BABIP in June helped his wRC+ stay above dead average.

Beltre has had a terrible July on the other hand. Perhaps not worth parting with any significant asset for him. I would not have a strong feeling as to which would end up being more valuable. I do enjoy Camargo's defense. He's sure handed there. Over the long haul I would rather see him picking it over there than downgrade that without the certainty of a major upgrade with bat. I'm not sure that Beltre gives you that guarantee now. But Braves need something to upgrade Ryan Flaherty and I do tend to agree that if it is a platoon bat for 3B that might be a good thing. Just not clear there are any real good options there. Solarte still looks like a good idea to me, but he's been at a minimum super unlucky since we first started discussing him.

Trying to get Donaldson through a post waivers trade after he comes back and shows something might still be the play depending on finances.
    I agree overall with your line of thinking. Unless Beltre comes cheap, I don't think he's worth acquiring at this point.

Solarte might be the play here, especially considering AA wants controllable guys. I'm against paying extra for control over a utility guy, but he would certainly fill a hole on the current roster.

The Donaldson in August idea is also sound. Once/If he proves healthy he could be a difference maker for the Braves.

I can't imagine the Braves stand pat on the left side of the IF though. It's such an obvious place to make a small but meaningful upgrade.

More and more I get the feeling the Braves are about to do something that gets them a SP under control for 1+ years. Depending on the cost, it could be a dumb move or a decent move. I don't see any realistic scenario where I'm jumping for joy after the Braves acquire a SP, partly because I think that means Gohara was shipped out, and partly because I'm against consolidating resources into a declining SP.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-30-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    less of a priority now that we have Venters
    Venters could break at any moment. You have to have an insurance plan.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Rays beat writer Marc Topkin says the Rays have asked teams for their final offer for Archer and Romo is being discussed with lots of teams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree overall with your line of thinking. Unless Beltre comes cheap, I don't think he's worth acquiring at this point.

Solarte might be the play here, especially considering AA wants controllable guys. I'm against paying extra for control over a utility guy, but he would certainly fill a hole on the current roster.

The Donaldson in August idea is also sound. Once/If he proves healthy he could be a difference maker for the Braves.

I can't imagine the Braves stand pat on the left side of the IF though. It's such an obvious place to make a small but meaningful upgrade.

More and more I get the feeling the Braves are about to do something that gets them a SP under control for 1+ years. Depending on the cost, it could be a dumb move or a decent move. I don't see any realistic scenario where I'm jumping for joy after the Braves acquire a SP, partly because I think that means Gohara was shipped out, and partly because I'm against consolidating resources into a declining SP.
    I want to see them get a controllable starting pitcher. I like everything about how Archer would fit into the roster and payroll except his probable acquisition cost.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Give me Archer or give me death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Zito I think they’ll go hard after Kimbrel. Closer will be a huge hole.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    I want to see them get a controllable starting pitcher. I like everything about how Archer would fit into the roster and payroll except his probable acquisition cost.
    I'm curious what our offer for Archer currently is. You'd have to assume Fried is in there somewhere as he's a guy the Rays would covet.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Zito I think they’ll go hard after Kimbrel. Closer will be a huge hole.

you know he's ready to sign another hometown discount too. this team we are serious about building a consistent contender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Venters could break at any moment. You have to have an insurance plan.
    Gohara is the insurance...Allard has conventional splits and might work in that role too

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    imo the last move should be for Solarte or Dietrich...I would also check with the Cubs on Happ, but a match there is less likely

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    that big homestand allows the Braves to stay 3.3% above last year's pace through same number of home dates.

We were replacing a big attendance series vs the Cubs, so the sellouts were timely.

Braves on pace to do 2.66 million in total attendance, but probably a good bet to take the over if Braves can stay in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    imo the last move should be for Solarte or Dietrich...I would also check with the Cubs on Happ, but a match there is less likely
    Does Teheran have any value? Would he be of any interest to the cubs if we archer?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Astros acquired Blue Jays suspended closer Roberto Osuna

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    IMO, the only saving grace about an Archer trade is that the Rays typically over value players the Braves seem to have a lot of...MLB-ready non-scrubs.

There are several packages the Braves could build centered around MLB-ready pitching (and some position players) that makes trading for Archer appealing if he is acquired for the right package.

For example, Fried/Gohara plus Camargo plus Wisler (still probably not enough, but illustrative) for Archer, followed by an acquisition of Beltre. A quantity over quality package for Archer is something the Braves could absorb more easily than almost any other club (except the Yankees).
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-30-2018 at 04:32 PM.