Page 12 of 143 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I like Camargo more than most, but I would still be more comfortable acquiring Beltre at the deadline. And the way McCarthy has been performing lately, someone like Liriano or Happy makes a lot of sense for us. Also, Chris Archer's value may never be lower (though likely still relatively high) if we're still looking into him.
    Tapate50 and I have been in Camargo's corner as he's moved up. I can't speak for Tapate50, but I do see Camargo's limitations and I don't think he's the long-term answer at 3B. To me, he's a solid 250 - 300 AB guy who can fill in around the infield. One item that may have changed to really enhance Camargo's value is his walk rate. It was solid in his first year in the Dominican Summer League, but absolutely tanked after that. I don't this his walk rate is going to stay at its current inflated rate because some it can be directly attributable to intentional walks and other situations, but there is likely some element of the increase that shows a change in his approach.

All this said, I think if a more reliable middle-of-the-order bat (Moustakas, Beltre) can be obtained at little cost, it would be a huge plus.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-30-2018), JohnAdcox (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    At this time Camargo has been a better hitter than Moose this season. A trade for a third baseman won't happen for at least another month so thankfully we will get to see what's real with camargo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Not sure why we are so interested in beltre when he could be in fact at the twilight of his career. I'll take my chances with youth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    At this time Camargo has been a better hitter than Moose this season. A trade for a third baseman won't happen for at least another month so thankfully we will get to see what's real with camargo
    We're going to trade for someone to help out on the left side of the infield. Not necessarily someone who will play third every day.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    We've found our 3B guys!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    For 3/4 months, I'll take my chances on Beltre at little cost. Donaldson looks like he might only cost one 50 FV prospect at this point. May be even less if he continues to struggle. Could be this years Lucroy and have a solid 2nd half for the acquiring team
    Last edited by Carp; 05-30-2018 at 08:52 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    I’m pretty sure the smart thing to do would be to acquire Beltre or Donaldson for a very small price and then move Camargo around the diamond to get him ABs. Because, even if Camargo is hitting, I’m pretty sure Beltre or Donaldson would be better players. You always want to upgrade, and we could use more positional depth for a playoff run. Again, that’s if Beltre or Donaldson can be had at a reasonable price.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I would be fine with acquiring Beltre. Would open up the possibility to place Camargo at SS if Swanson struggles. It all depends on the cost of Beltre. I wouldn't trade an arm and a leg for him, but competition and options are always a good problem to have, especially if someone happens to get injured.
    1995 World Champs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The price is important.

Guys I'm willing to trade for a few months of Beltre or Moose: Wisler, Sims, Fried, Wentz

Gus I'm not willing to trade: Allard, Wright, Wilson, Anderson, Touki

I'm assuming the primary piece in any such trade will be a starting pitching prospect.

Among position propects, the guys on my do not trade list are: Riley, Pache and Waters.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The price is important.

Guys I'm willing to trade for a few months of Beltre or Moose: Wisler, Sims, Fried, Wentz

I'm assuming the primary piece in any such trade will be a starting pitching prospect.

Among position propects, the guys on my do not trade list are: Riley, Pache and Waters.
    I don't think anyone would be on a strict no-trade list the way Acuna was. But I would add Contreras to your don't want to trade except for something great list.

not to be all thethe, but at this point I'm not sure I would trade Fried or Wentz for a rental unless it was part of a lot of other upgrades.

I would take Allard off the really don't want to trade list. I wouldn't trade him for rental, but I would be fully willing to trade him for something good that helped the team beyond 2018.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I think a more important acquisition at this point is a starter and reliever or two. I think pitching is the bigger need right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The price is important.

I would not be in favor of trading Fried for 2-3 months of average-ish 3B play.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Trade Swanson while he still has some value and plug in Camargo at SS. Get a short term impact 3B and play Riley next year or sign a bigger name long term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Trade Swanson while he still has some value and plug in Camargo at SS. Get a short term impact 3B and play Riley next year or sign a bigger name long term.
    Solid idea, except for the tiny fact Camargo can't play MLB level defense at SS.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Camargos value plummets at SS. He just hasn't been that impressive there.

We need to focus on relief pitching. Herrera should be the target as I believe we will transition quite of a few of our young pitchers to the pen.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The price is important.

I would swap Wentz and Anderson, but this is the level I'm at as well. Willing to trade surplus assets to improve, but I hope they stick to only trading from the surplus.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Solid idea, except for the tiny fact Camargo can't play MLB level defense at SS.
    Agreed.

If Swanson continues to play D like he has he needs to be the SS assuming he doesn’t turn into Raffy Belliard with the bat. Camargo can’t handle SS defensively day in day out.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I think a more important acquisition at this point is a starter and reliever or two. I think pitching is the bigger need right now.
    Mostly agree. Better question is what you would give up for Cole Hamels arguably.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The price is important.

Among position propects, the guys on my do not trade list are: Riley, Pache and Waters.[/QUOTE]

The only people I'm willing to give up for 2-3 months of Beltre/Moose/Freese/etc: Wisler, Sims, Ruiz, Peterson, Demeritte etc.

Fried only if I get a Machado or healthy donaldson. No way I'm giving up Wentz or Anderson.

Fried is a good player. With a sinker he could be very good. Wentz is a top 100 guy for some people. Anderson too. Touki is really trending up.

I'm hoping supply/demand works out for us and we can score a guy with the poo poo platter.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018), nsacpi (05-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gotcha... I hadn't really paid attention to his play at the position.