Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Camargo will finish the year well above that threshold.
    Nothing in his history suggests that's true

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We don't need a third baseman this year. Camargo is fine.

Get another high leverage bullpen arm (herrera) and roll the dice.
    our organization has a million pitchers and we should go get another one but leave 3B handled by comargo?

If 3B upgrades cost long term pieces then I'm out. But there are rental options and we should look to be aggressive there. A decent bat at 3B and Dansby is our worst hitter....that's a decent lineup. Not a scary line up but a damn solid line up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Evad (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    our organization has a million pitchers and we should go get another one but leave 3B handled by comargo?

If 3B upgrades cost long term pieces then I'm out. But there are rental options and we should look to be aggressive there. A decent bat at 3B and Dansby is our worst hitter....that's a decent lineup. Not a scary line up but a damn solid line up.
    Adding someone like Moustakas to our lineup definitely would make it "scary," IMO. it's already pretty damn good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

I think Camargo has hit in some bad luck. I think his ABs for the most part have been good. He's walking a bunch more and showing more pop. A line drive or 2 that could have found grass earlier in the year and all of a sudden Camargo is getting close to a 800 ops. At short he isn't a good defender but at third he's good.

Let's see where he ends up in another 200 abs
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I think Camargo has hit in some bad luck. I think his ABs for the most part have been good. He's walking a bunch more and showing more pop. A line drive or 2 that could have found grass earlier in the year and all of a sudden Camargo is getting close to a 800 ops. At short he isn't a good defender but at third he's good.

Let's see where he ends up in another 200 abs
    And for the first half of the year he was riding the pine and not getting regular ABs.

He plays a fine SS imo. Gets to what he should, and solid to above arm.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Adding someone like Moustakas to our lineup definitely would make it "scary," IMO. it's already pretty damn good.
    The Braves lineup has produced the #2 wOBA (0.332) in MLB, behind only the Yankees. A lot of it has been luck, as evidenced by their much more mediocre xwOBA that ranks #19 (#8 NL).

MLB rank by position (wOBA, xwOBA)...

1B: #1, #1 - no luck here, Freeman is elite.
    2B: #2, #8 - Albies is obviously hitting into some good luck on fly balls, but he is legit.
    SS: #17, #17 - Swanson has provided legit average offense at SS.
    3B: #10, #27 - lots of luck here...3B needs to be addressed. Period.
    C : #14, #14 - average offense at C despite Flowers injury, this will be fine.
    LF: #13, #18 - Acuna has about half the LF PAs, this will be fine.
    CF: #16, #22 - Ender is what he is...an average bat that outperforms his xwOBA, and he started slow, this will be fine.
    RF: #4, #7 - Markakis is having his 2nd career year, and he isn't going anywhere even if he wasn't.

The Braves are getting average or better production (and expected production) out of every lineup slot except 3B.

It is very simple...3B must be addressed if the Braves are contending.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-17-2018), JohnBoy (05-17-2018), jpx7 (05-17-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-17-2018), Super (05-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

It is very simple...3B must be addressed if the Braves are contending.
    This is as logical as it gets. Especially, when you consider the plethora of rental options likely to be available at a reasonable price.

what do you think of Fried for Beltre with the Rangers picking up most of the remaining salary
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    What's our best reasonable 3b option? Mous?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    This is as logical as it gets. Especially, when you consider the plethora of rental options likely to be available at a reasonable price.

what do you think of Fried for Beltre with the Rangers picking up most of the remaining salary

Can we do that today?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Can we do that today?
    the sooner the better...just need Beltre to come off the DL

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

I'm not high on Fried, but I'd be hesitant to give him up for 2 a month upgrade at 3B. That's probably good indication it's a reasonably fair deal.

I'd much prefer the Braves not pay prospect capital in exchange for salary relief though. I have to imagine an unexpected WC run (and I'm confident the FO wasn't projecting a WC run when they set the 2018 payroll) would more than pay for Beltre's $6M.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-17-2018), jpx7 (05-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Camargo will finish the year well above that threshold.
    That’s no certainty. In fact, is play in an everyday role thus far would suggest the opposite.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Just looking at Beltre's career numbers. Dude has been consistent as the sun.

If the money's right, it seems like he would be a solid acquisition. Especially if you buy into the belief that Riley will be ready next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

If the money's right, it seems like he would be a solid acquisition. Especially if you buy into the belief that Riley will be ready next season.
    Beltre is plan A for me. And Moose plan B.

The others (Donaldson, Machado) are great players but will likely have price tags that are not worth it for rentals.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-17-2018), jpx7 (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

A lineup with Markakis and Beltre getting on base for Albies, Freeman, and Acuna would certainly be something to watch.

Mous hitting behind those 4 would also be pretty great.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-17-2018 at 12:55 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Seems like Camargo is actually getting unlucky if you go by EV and other things. His xwOBA and xSLG are higher than what he actually says.

But for now, he's a cautionary tale about how going by the "eyes" and basic stats over the more advanced ones isn't a good idea. That BABIP correction for him has been nasty so far, just like it was nasty to Dansby Swanson last year.

Ozzie Albies is also apparently just a complete wizard if you go by statcast, as it says he was lucky last year too...and it's been 99 games of him beating what statcast says he should do actually. (I have a theory as to why though if statcast measures all contact, and not just the hits)
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Braves up about 3% in attendance over same number of home games from last year.

I'm estimating it will be more like 7% over the same number of home dates after this weekend, but the Braves will have played one more weekend than last over same period so that 3-5% figure probably will still be more likely.

I could probably do a better job of arranging the numbers, but just eyeballing things, looks like Braves are exceeding last year's weekday totals and holding the weekend numbers.

With Suntrust experiences seeming to be real positive and the park being somewhat new, it would make sense to see those numbers hold with a better and more interesting team on the field.

We'll see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves up about 3% in attendance over same number of home games from last year.

I'm estimating it will be more like 7% over the same number of home dates after this weekend, but the Braves will have played one more weekend than last over same period so that 3-5% figure probably will still be more likely.

I could probably do a better job of arranging the numbers, but just eyeballing things, looks like Braves are exceeding last year's weekday totals and holding the weekend numbers.

With Suntrust experiences seeming to be real positive and the park being somewhat new, it would make sense to see those numbers hold with a better and more interesting team on the field.

We'll see.
    Excellent news. If they can stay flat with 2017 attendance they should be able to add at the deadline and have a $120M+ payroll in 2019.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Beltre is having the quietest Hall of Fame level career of anyone in baseball. Most people don't know the only player with a higher WAR still playing baseball is Pujols. Now if you're a betting man, you assume Miggy will probably get right up in there. But seriously, he's having a fantastic career. And not in the Scott Rolen/Andruw Jones type where he should be in the Hall of Fame because he's good enough but he's kind of borderline. He's a lock into the hall of fame that sadly may take the voters a year or 2 to realize.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-17-2018)