Page 18 of 143 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Saw a rumor from Nick Carfado that the Braves along with the Yankees could pursue Cole Hamels.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    It's a no for me on Hamels. The 6 million buyout is just too much. Maybe if the Rangers covered the buyout, but then that would cost more in prospect capital.

Rather pursue Ross, Liriano or JA Happ. I'd avoid trying to bring in an Ace right now. Pitching market is thin and any elite pitcher will cost a Tex type of package.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's a no for me on Hamels. The 6 million buyout is just too much. Maybe if the Rangers covered the buyout, but then that would cost more in prospect capital.

Rather pursue Ross, Liriano or JA Happ. I'd avoid trying to bring in an Ace right now. Pitching market is thin and any elite pitcher will cost a Tex type of package.
    I can agree with that. Do think the Braves will kick the tires on Hamels, as well as the guys you mentioned. Would not be surprised to also hear the Braves make calls on Chris Archer or Danny Duffy, but a top not starter is unlikely until after the season.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

We are not going to win the World Series with those players. We should trade thinking for this year and the coming seasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    We are not going to win the World Series with those players. We should trade thinking for this year and the coming seasons.
    The Braves are exceedingly unlikely to win the WS this year no matter what additions they make.

The goal should be to push for playoff relevance this year and boost attendance projections for next year. Adding 1-2 players at the deadline is a good signal to send to the casual fan base. Just don't do anything stupid.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-07-2018), Jaw (06-07-2018), jpx7 (06-06-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-07-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves are exceedingly unlikely to win the WS this year no matter what additions they make.

The goal should be to push for playoff relevance this year and boost attendance projections for next year. Adding 1-2 players at the deadline is a good signal to send to the casual fan base. Just don't do anything stupid.
    This. Perfectly said. Please don’t blow it over this year.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It all depends on if we have any money left and how much. I like Camargo but if we can get Beltre and cover most of the salary to keep the prospects down then it's a no brainer. I wouldn't go for a starter at the deadline if we are still in the thick of things (I think we will be), i'd get a very good reliever or 2 and a 3b like Beltre or Donaldson.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...g-become-stars

Anthopoulos should be looking to buy low on any of those players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Yup. This is exactly right.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

I'd love Buxton or Glasnow

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

We have actually done pretty well on our minor leaguers. None of our big name guys have busted like that....well....yet anyway.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Yes. Hamel’s is not what he used to be...I’m not sure he would do much better than what we have (except for experience). Unless you send them Julio lol. Archer is very average this year...not what he was. He is the AL Julio with more velocity basically. Not worth it.

There is no one or two players that allows us to contend for real. Giving up prospects this year would be a mistake, unless it’s for long term peices and not rentals.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    We have actually done pretty well on our minor leaguers. None of our big name guys have busted like that....well....yet anyway.
    I think it's important for folks to appreciate just how successful the few Braves position prospects have been, especially compared to what they have gotten out of the boat loads of pitching prospects.

The Braves have been very fortunate to get average or better players out of Swanson/Albies/Acuna.

The problem is that now folks expect guaranteed success from guys like Riley and Pache, even though it's unlikely both pan out as hoped.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Mets open to trading Thor and Degrom...

Thor has three years of arb and Degrom two...hmmm

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think it's important for folks to appreciate just how successful the few Braves position prospects have been, especially compared to what they have gotten out of the boat loads of pitching prospects.

The Braves have been very fortunate to get average or better players out of Swanson/Albies/Acuna.

The problem is that now folks expect guaranteed success from guys like Riley and Pache, even though it's unlikely both pan out as hoped.
    The Braves have been pretty successful with their pitching prospects in all honesty.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Taking in to account free agency next year I could see us acquiring a starting pitcher with a few more years of control and a reliever on a 1 year deal ala Harerra.

There weill be plenty of relievers in next year's FA so no need to trade for one unless it's a rental. There is no starting pitching, so trading for a starter now may make sense if that is our goal.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

I think Pache’s defense gives him a very good chance to be at least an average player (Ender). I fell pretty well about Riley also if he can bring the K’s down a bit and stay healthy. He mashed in AA and if he was going to flame out, I feel like the regression would have began there.

In saying that....he’s probably always going to strike out more than we like. I think he will be a above average player (not a star).
    Last edited by TheBravos; 06-07-2018 at 01:38 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Braves have been pretty successful with their pitching prospects in all honesty.
    Which ones were successful?

I'll list the ones that weren't after you give me your list. I wonder which will be longer...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Which ones were successful?

I'll list the ones that weren't after you give me your list. I wonder which will be longer...
    You could be right. You could be wrong. Many of our young pitches are just coming up or are still in the minors. It’s really, really hard to say at this point.

You “could” mention the Wislers and Blairs...sure. The crop coming up have much higher ceilings and most have slowly progressed with few really showing little regression.

Plus...we have Folty and Newk with Fried still hanging around. Heck Wisler is still here also. If one out of every four make it on average and one out of every ten excel....we are doing just fine.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    You could be right. You could be wrong. Many of our young pitches are just coming up or are still in the minors. It’s really, really hard to say at this point.

You “could” mention the Wislers and Blairs...sure. The crop coming up have much higher ceilings and most have slowly progressed with few really showing little regression.

Plus...we have Folty and Newk with Fried still hanging around. Heck Wisler is still here also. If one out of every four make it on average and one out of every ten excel....we are doing just fine.
    It would be a good exercise to review just how highly ranked the guys you are dismissing actually were.