Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Demeritte
    Sheew that was close....he’s due to take Oz’s spot next year.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    LA traded one top 100 guy for him, what's a similar cost from the Braves POV?

Something like Allard, Jackson, Demeritte, Wiegel, Ynao?
    I'm high on most of them especially for a rental.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He said they tried for something else a little bigger but it didnt happen as well.
    So was this likely Realmuto, or are there indications that there may have been someone else?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don’t know his splits but who cares

The point is a solid defensive 3b who hits over 800 ops vs rh. Healthy Donaldson doesn’t matter what hand he is using.

Plus Swanson is not hitting .... if we were playing a wc game is comargo our ss?
    I don't care... I think you're missing the point. AA specifically said they were close on an impact LH bat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't care... I think you're missing the point. AA specifically said they were close on an impact LH bat.
    Probably Moustakas

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    So was this likely Realmuto, or are there indications that there may have been someone else?
    Definitely could have been Realmuto, but I just don't see AA valuing such a poor framing catcher so highly. And where would Flowers or Suzuki have gone? Part of that trade or another trade?

It also doesn't address all the smoke surrounding the Rangers and Gohara. Remember, Gohara was "as good as traded if he was healthy" that day. What happened there?

Lastly, AA said they were after a LH bat, which makes complete sense given the needs of the team. Realmuto obviously bats RH, and this blabber by Bowman about wanting a RHH SS/3B makes almost zero sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Probably Moustakas
    It was probably Shaw from the Brewers (as suggested by Chico), or someone like Gallo/Profar from the Rangers.

The Brewers acquired Mous and Schoop, then moved Shaw from 3B to 2B. They also failed to upgrade their SP, which was a huge need. Shaw to the Braves for a young SP makes a lot of sense.

The Rangers were supposedly scouting Gohara that day, and he was "as good as traded if healthy". Gohara for Gallo/Profar lines up pretty well since Gallo is the same type of hitter as Duvall, and Profar is capable of playing 3B/SS.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-07-2018 at 11:13 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It was probably Shaw from the Brewers (as suggested by Chico), or someone like Gallo/Profar from the Rangers.

The Brewers acquired Mous and Schoop, then moved Shaw from 3B to 2B. They also failed to upgrade their SP, which was a huge need. Shaw to the Braves for a young SP makes a lot of sense.

The Rangers were supposedly scouting Gohara that day, and he was "as good as traded if healthy". Gohara for Gallo/Profar lines up pretty well since Gallo is the same type of hitter as Duvall, and Profar is capable of playing 3B/SS.

I suppose the possible Shaw deal did not go down, so the Brewers ultimately didn't see the sense in it. But I don't really see the sense in it from the Brewers perspective.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I suppose the possible Shaw deal did not go down, so the Brewers ultimately didn't see the sense in it. But I don't really see the sense in it from the Brewers perspective.
    You don't see the sense in trading a 3B for a young SP after acquiring Mous to play 3B?

What part of that logic is hard to grasp?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    You don't see the sense in trading a 3B for a young SP after acquiring Mous to play 3B?

What part of that logic is hard to grasp?

the part where Moose is either a free agent or costs 15 million dollars next year and Shaw has three remaining years of control.

And the part where you are trading someone who drills RHP in the middle of a playoff race for what I gather would be an unproven prospect.

Doesn't make much sense to me for the Brewers. But I guess it must have made sense to the Brewers since they traded him. Or did it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    the part where Moose is either a free agent or costs 15 million dollars next year and Shaw has three remaining years of control.

And the part where you are trading someone who drills RHP in the middle of a playoff race for what I gather would be an unproven prospect.

Doesn't make much sense to me for the Brewers. But I guess it must have made sense to the Brewers since they traded him. Or did it.
    LOL, yes, the trade didn't go down is only due to the fact that they didn't want to trade Shaw. There is no other possible reason a deal isn't completed.

Logic is really a struggle for you when you can't rely on hindsight haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    LOL, yes, the trade didn't go down is only due to the fact that they didn't want to trade Shaw. There is no other possible reason a deal isn't completed.

Logic is really a struggle for you when you can't rely on hindsight haha.
    Care to address the first two sentences?

Or provide an explanation for why we should believe that this is a trade that almost happened despite a complete lack of any evidence of any kind for the proposition?

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I wonder what the Mets wanted for Wheeler?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I wonder what the Mets wanted for Wheeler?
    I don't know, but I would have been all in on him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Seriously, where did the Shaw talk come from? He is better than Moustakas, younger, and under control for longer. I'm assuming the Brewers would rather have him than Moustakas.

And we know we were in on Moustakas. So when AA talks about being in talks for an impact LH bat, why shouldn't we assume he was just talking about Moustakas?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Seriously, where did the Shaw talk come from? He is better than Moustakas, younger, and under control for longer. I'm assuming the Brewers would rather have him than Moustakas.

And we know we were in on Moustakas. So when AA talks about being in talks for an impact LH bat, why shouldn't we assume he was just talking about Moustakas?
    The Shaw talk is nothing but pure speculation. Chico brought it up, and I think it was plausible based on all the other moves did and did not happen.

That's all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The Shaw talk is nothing but pure speculation. Chico brought it up, and I think it was plausible based on all the other moves did and did not happen.

That's all.
    The main issue with Shaw being looked at as an impact bat is, he's basically not usable vs lefties. .200 avg with a 550 OPS this year. Currently we have an ideal platoon partner, but I'd be wary of paying full price for a part time player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Glasnow since joining the Rays:

2 GS, 7 IP, 14 K, 1 BB

I think the Rays saw something they thought they could quickly tweak on Glasnow in an effort to get more strikes, and I doubt the Braves had anything they could have realistically offered to get Archer to Atlanta.

The Rays are the real pitching factory of MLB, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they turned Glasnow into a monster.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-09-2018), Super (08-09-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

We have to find AA's comments to see the verbiage, but I recall it sounding like he was going to be talking to that team again. That would mean they still have that player. I could be wrong though. Just throwing it out there.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Glasnow since joining the Rays:

2 GS, 7 IP, 14 K, 1 BB

I think the Rays saw something they thought they could quickly tweak on Glasnow in an effort to get more strikes, and I doubt the Braves had anything they could have realistically offered to get Archer to Atlanta.

The Rays are the real pitching factory of MLB, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they turned Glasnow into a monster.
    I think they are betting heavy on Glasnow. For once, due to some injuries and trades, they don't have that pipeline of major league ready pitching prospects.