Page 6 of 143 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    There's no way in hell it's gonna cost that much for 3-4 months of Machado.
    Some team will pay the equivalent of that. Mark my words.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    What I see happening with Machado is a trade similar to the Heyward trade we made. A team gives up an underachieving young player with a higher ceiling (Miller) and a lottery ticket prospect (Jenkins) and the Orioles trade Machado and a reliever.

For the Braves it’s hard to say what the equivalent package would be. Maybe Folty and Touki? Fried and Touki? Honestly, there isn’t an obvious match that Braves and Orioles fans would be happy with.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That is not a good trade for us, but it isn't as outlandish as some other trades (like Soroka and Riley for Machado).

I imagine it likely will take a pretty good prospect for a Moose and Herrera trade though. Probably 1 prospect among the Touki, Fried, Muller, Wentz, and Wilson group.
    Then Fried, Muller, or Wentz, easily. I think Toussaint and Wilson are a tier above, at least.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-14-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What's not to like? I get that he's a bad body guy and a little older. I get that the OBP isn't always good.

But he is a big time upgrade from what we have and he's cheap. Next year you have an expensive option you can pick up if you want. He's not on a long term deal so you do not have a lot of risk.

I get being upset if we gave up a real prospect for him. But if we are talking about the JDM deal then I think everyone would be excited.
    His defense isn't much to like. It negates much of his offensive production.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    His defense isn't much to like. It negates much of his offensive production.
    2 war last year so clearly that is not true. Already 1 war this year

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    2 war last year so clearly that is not true. Already 1 war this year
    2 WAR last year isn't really that great. Not saying he isn't an improvement, I just prefer other options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I would trade one of Wentz or Wright and 2 prospects not in our top 15. If it's more than that no thanks.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I would trade one of Wentz or Wright and 2 prospects not in our top 15. If it's more than that no thanks.
    That’s still a ton.

I think the cubs still go get him. I think they have had enough discussions so they know what gets it done already
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    These comments were posted back to back, and are completely contradictory statements...
    Nope. Beltre is gonna be sold. He could be had with cash for minimal return. It fits exactly what I was talking about in terms of not being buyers but looking for deals. Sure I didn't mention it specifically. But Beltre is the type who could be had for a time bomb type of prospect. Someone with potential to be good but also with the potential to never make it out of A ball. Or for a very safe prospect who'll almost certainly be a mlb bench player at best.(Dustin Peterson type)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Nope. Beltre is gonna be sold. He could be had with cash for minimal return. It fits exactly what I was talking about in terms of not being buyers but looking for deals. Sure I didn't mention it specifically. But Beltre is the type who could be had for a time bomb type of prospect. Someone with potential to be good but also with the potential to never make it out of A ball. Or for a very safe prospect who'll almost certainly be a mlb bench player at best.(Dustin Peterson type)
    No way we can take on that salary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Some team will pay the equivalent of that. Mark my words.
    Absolutely. Someone like the Cubs will overpay for Machado. They have to make the push.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Absolutely. Someone like the Cubs will overpay for Machado. They have to make the push.
    I doubt it would be the Cubs. Their cupboard (or should that be Cubboard?) is next to bare of prospects after the deals they have made over the past two seasons. But if your point is that a high revenue/high payroll team will shell out for Machado, I agree. Maybe the Angels will give up Maitan for him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Why would ANYONE give up those kind of prospects for a few month rental. Maybe a team like the Nationals or Giants that sees the window as literally “this” year. For any up and coming team like the Braves...it would be stupidity. If you want him...just sign him in the off-season. We have one of the top offenses anyway...it’s not a weakness. Everyone agrees that....unless it’s a miracle...we won’t win the WS this year. Anyone that wants to pay the price can sign Machado. Paying prospect capital AND giving him a big contract is high on the stupid scale. You only give up prospects for someone that is signed long term on a reasonable contract.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 05-15-2018 at 07:32 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-15-2018), jpx7 (05-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    the logic is to upgrade where you are weak...third is the most obvious weakness
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You see Wentz and Wright as equivalent?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the logic is to upgrade where you are weak...third is the most obvious weakness
    Obvious weakness for This year at best. Riley would make you at the very worst “average” for next year. Plus we have actually “with luck” received good production from 3rd this year, so it really hasn’t been a weakness...even though it should be.

There isn’t a big weakness on this team, that doesn’t have someone in the minors a call away. Really, the only long term question mark is catching with none of the guys in the minors really stepping up at this point. We have a young guy in AAA for pitching and position players (or already have a young guy with the spot filled). Really we could just sign the two guys back for a couple of years and be fine there also.

Add a high leverage bullpen arm maybe, but those are so pricey at the deadline, and you never know when they might implode.

I think AA learned a nice lesson giving away Thor. I think he will be very careful going forward, because he knows our budget. Our prospects mean way more to us than the big market teams.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    And what if you don’t sign him back. You just gave a high 1st round pick plus for a couple of months rental. Do you really believe that’s worth the gamble??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Obvious weakness for This year at best. Riley would make you at the very worst “average” for next year.
    Yes I am talking about this year. I'm interested in a rental for the second half of 2018. Riley's play this year has convinced me that he should be penciled in as our third baseman next year.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    And what if you don’t sign him back. You just gave a high 1st round pick plus for a couple of months rental. Do you really believe that’s worth the gamble??

You don't trade a late first round pick for a reliever either but I would ship Braxton off for a decent reliever. Where they are drafted means little. I am just personally not a big believer in Wright. Never have been. Odds are never really in a pitcher favor anyways. I like Wentz but can't keep them all. We aren't just getting any year of Machado. We are getting his contract year. We are getting a highly motivated Machado with 400 million reasons to give 100%. If we do the trade we need to add a reliever too imo. So I would try to get back a quality reliever from the Orioles.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You see Wentz and Wright as equivalent?

Yes. I like Wentz more but I think the risk, upside, and likely outcome are about the same. We have a lot of prospects. Reality is some will bust and some will disappoint. I am fine with keeping them all but to add an elite bat at a position where we are starting AAAA quality talent to a Braves te on pave to win 100+ games is one I would seriously consider. I don't think the impact from a trade like that should be under estimated. It would really boost attendance and fan attention. I guess it could be considered the official ending to the rebuilding era.

It’s over."