Page 48 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Doesn't really have a ton to do with trades, but I decided to look up some team defense statistics, and we have been very good in that department. According to Fangraph's Def stat, the Braves have been the third best defensive team in baseball behind the Cubs and the Brewers.
    AA wanted a better defensive club and he’s gotten it.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    A starter, reliever, and bat are Braves goals, but not rentals!

From MLBTR

Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos suggested today that he’s not looking only to make a minor addition or two. Rather, as Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM tweets, the Atlanta executive says his club “can afford to add a starter and reliever and a bat.” And the organization won’t just be considering adding supplemental temporary pieces; rather, per Anthopolous, “we are looking for acquisitions on players we can control rather than rentals.” Needless to say, those comments tend to expand the conceivable array of possibilities for the Braves. With a healthy array of prospects available to deal from, the Braves could certainly make a run at a player who’d be viewed as a major present and future asset.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

From MLBTR

Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos suggested today that he’s not looking only to make a minor addition or two. Rather, as Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM tweets, the Atlanta executive says his club “can afford to add a starter and reliever and a bat.” And the organization won’t just be considering adding supplemental temporary pieces; rather, per Anthopolous, “we are looking for acquisitions on players we can control rather than rentals.” Needless to say, those comments tend to expand the conceivable array of possibilities for the Braves. With a healthy array of prospects available to deal from, the Braves could certainly make a run at a player who’d be viewed as a major present and future asset.
    I said several months ago when i realized we weren't going to suck that I thought AA would be aggressive and try hard to add legit talent at the deadline. I bet he does, or at least exhausts every possible option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

From MLBTR

I'm curious what types of players even fit that description that would be available now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d say Fulmer was high on that list before he got hurt. He may try a package deal so he only deals with one team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm curious what types of players even fit that description that would be available now?
    Archer/Romo would be a lot but makes sense.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    IF the Braves do indeed have the cash to make the moves, I would like to see a package with Baltimore where the Braves get: Gausman, Cobb and Britton for Allard, Gohara, Wisler, Sims and Demeritte. That may not be enough, but taking Cobb back and his remaining 3 years cuts into the value going the other way and the Braves could use Cobb as the #5 guy moving forward. With the O's going full rebuild, they may be open to offloading Cobb's money as part of a deal.

Then I'd like to see the Braves roll the dice on Donaldson getting healthy for the last couple of months and trading for him and Tyler Clippard for Wentz and Sanchez.

Would give you a rotation of Folty, Newk, Gausman, Teheran/Sanchez, Cobb/McCarthy and allow you to shut Soroka down for the year and let Fried continue to develop in AAA.
    Would give you a pen of: Britton, Viz*, Clippard, Minter, Freeman, Winkler, Carle, Biddle

When Donaldson is ready you play him at 3B (bat cleanup) and use Comargo as Util.

You give up Allard, Gohara and Wentz as the real prospects BUT all three have serious long term question marks IMO and would be more easily traded than most others.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Looking at the names being thrown out there I don't see a lot of matches for what we're looking for. I think we'll make a couple of trades, but it'll be names we're not talking about currently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    AA has a reputation of running very, very silent. Keep that in mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I wouldn't mind having Donaldson since the cost should be fairly minimal. Likely someone like Wentz at the absolute most I would think. Hopefully more of the Alex Jackson or Isranel Wilson variety.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I wouldn't mind having Donaldson since the cost should be fairly minimal. Likely someone like Wentz at the absolute most I would think. Hopefully more of the Alex Jackson or Isranel Wilson variety.

Donaldson would be a interesting acquisition. At this point, he won't be active by the trade deadline and has had a terrible year. I'm sure he does retain some value, but I'm not sure you would even have to give up a player with a lot of upside at this point. Jays might feel good just to shed his dollars. But I dunno.

Jays in general have some good pieces. Tyler Clippard is up there and Solarte and Happ and then they have some controlled releivers and Solarte (who has been really bad for a month).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Donaldson would be a interesting acquisition. At this point, he won't be active by the trade deadline and has had a terrible year. I'm sure he does retain some value, but I'm not sure you would even have to give up a player with a lot of upside at this point. Jays might feel good just to shed his dollars. But I dunno.

Jays in general have some good pieces. Tyler Clippard is up there and Solarte and Happ and then they have some controlled releivers and Solarte (who has been really bad for a month).
    Oh is another reliever they have that is signed through next season cheap

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    AA has a reputation of running very, very silent. Keep that in mind.
    Which also makes you wonder about the mention of "controllable pieces" as targets.

Really wonder just how high he is on Stroman/Sanchez? Would he put something together for one of them and Loup plus some kind of throw-in(s) to get Donaldson here so he could try to work out an extension?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    But didn't His Highness tell us that they must be watching Moose (even though he's a rental that AA said he's not looking for) in that game?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Castellanos is interesting, assuming he could handle 3B. If the Braves can't add a better LF option via trade or free agency, he could slide back to the OF and Camargo could play 3B.

How was Castellanos' defense as a 3B?

With the Cardinals' collapse I wonder if they would make Carpenter available. Even though his power surge this year is likely due to luck, he's a steady .380 plus OBP guy.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Hamels was pitching last night...Got rocked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    But didn't His Highness tell us that they must be watching Moose (even though he's a rental that AA said he's not looking for) in that game?
    Castellanos doesn’t play for either of those teams. And Diekman is a FA at the end of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Looking at the names being thrown out there I don't see a lot of matches for what we're looking for. I think we'll make a couple of trades, but it'll be names we're not talking about currently.
    Right, but I just don't see who's available that we'd want who's not currently being talked about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Castellanos is interesting, assuming he could handle 3B. If the Braves can't add a better LF option via trade or free agency, he could slide back to the OF and Camargo could play 3B.

How was Castellanos' defense as a 3B?
    His defense is putrid everywhere...just short of Kemp level bad. He would be a good bat in the middle of the order though.

I'm hoping the Braves can do better.