Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Here's my question for everyone. Say the magical run continues, and by the trading deadline, we're within reach of a wild card spot. Is there a pitcher currently on our roster you feel comfortable starting in a 1 game playoff? Especially going against a bonafide ace of the other team we'll be facing?

If the answer is no, we may have to consider that when it comes to trading for a starter at the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Here's my question for everyone. Say the magical run continues, and by the trading deadline, we're within reach of a wild card spot. Is there a pitcher currently on our roster you feel comfortable starting in a 1 game playoff? Especially going against a bonafide ace of the other team we'll be facing?

If the answer is no, we may have to consider that when it comes to trading for a starter at the deadline.
    The answer is obviously Fried
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-30-2018), Tapate50 (05-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-31-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

We need our guys to become those type of starters. And the best way for that to happen is to let them pitch it. If Newk and Folty continue with sub 3 ERA's then yeah I'd be ok with either of them.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-01-2018), Jaw (05-31-2018), JohnAdcox (05-30-2018), jpx7 (05-30-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-31-2018), NYCBrave (05-30-2018), Tapate50 (05-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Folty or Newk can completely shutdown an offense any day of the week. They can also get shelled and give up 5-6 runs. There isn't a pitcher available that won't have the same criteria. I'd put less than 10 pitchers on that list of almost guaranteed to shutdown an offense every start.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    On local radio today they were talking about a Buster Olney interview in SF. Olney apparently thinks that Bumgarner could be moved near the deadline. Radio guys were speculating what it would take to get him, and came up with 2 of our top 10 prospects and then 2 more guys in the 11 - 30 range. For 1.5 years of MadBum, who lives in NC, definitely is tempting if we're still in contention

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    On local radio today they were talking about a Buster Olney interview in SF. Olney apparently thinks that Bumgarner could be moved near the deadline. Radio guys were speculating what it would take to get him, and came up with 2 of our top 10 prospects and then 2 more guys in the 11 - 30 range. For 1.5 years of MadBum, who lives in NC, definitely is tempting if we're still in contention
    I'd have to see the package offered but sign me up

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Love to have Bum, but don't want to mortgage the future for him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We need our guys to become those type of starters. And the best way for that to happen is to let them pitch it. If Newk and Folty continue with sub 3 ERA's then yeah I'd be ok with either of them.
    I disagree with this.

Braves have produced multiple candidates internally for 4+ rotation spots.

If they can cash surplus for a war-daddy it makes perfect sense for them to do that while also hoping some of their internal options develop as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I disagree with this.

Braves have produced multiple candidates internally for 4+ rotation spots.

If they can cash surplus for a war-daddy it makes perfect sense for them to do that while also hoping some of their internal options develop as well.
    who this war-daddy you have in mind
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Bumgarner has 12m option for 2019.

that would be a worthwhile effort.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Gigantes 4 games out of first place. Don't think they are sellers at the moment.

But assuming they are, what are yall willing to give up for Bumgarner.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I would say that if our postseason hinges on a play in game, then it's a year too early to pay the contender's premium for a rental ace. This team is built for long term success, don't blow that by trying to be more competitive for one game.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-31-2018), jpx7 (05-31-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I would say that if our postseason hinges on a play in game, then it's a year too early to pay the contender's premium for a rental ace. This team is built for long term success, don't blow that by trying to be more competitive for one game.
    I agree. Especially that in this scenario there is no way to guarantee who's going to pitch that game anyways.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Given the international signing restrictions, I don't think we can afford to do a "3-4 prospects for a star" kind of deal in this window. I will admit that I kind of get hung up on minor league depth more than others, but seeing that a lot of our guys are going to hit arbitration at basically the same time, we need prospects or a ton of cash on hand to avoid a downturn.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Gigantes 4 games out of first place. Don't think they are sellers at the moment.

But assuming they are, what are yall willing to give up for Bumgarner.
    So call him a 4 War guy. about 33 million of surplus value.

Ian Anderson or Wright plus something lesser is probably about right.

I'd of course be happy to do a pu pu platter of guys I don't love, but Giants would probably demand top 100 guy.

I'd think hard about it with my hesitation being the injury profile. Ultimately I probably wouldn't do it unless I'm making a couple of other moves.

It might not be time for it though. I'm considering that letting this year fall where it may is still the play. Wait a year to make your big moves.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Given the international signing restrictions, I don't think we can afford to do a "3-4 prospects for a star" kind of deal in this window. I will admit that I kind of get hung up on minor league depth more than others, but seeing that a lot of our guys are going to hit arbitration at basically the same time, we need prospects or a ton of cash on hand to avoid a downturn.
    Well, the prospects that will be important to forming the next team are mostly those three or four years from the majors. I'm not sure trading from AA or AAA surplus now would affect that too much aside from the possibility you would trade it for prospects.

There are a few ways of handling that possible decline. Selling off the likes of Albies, Acuna, swanson, or successful pitchers for premium prospects could be one way of doing it. Drafting well in the interim obviously could beas well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts

This type of thinking is outdated imo. It's team vs team not pitcher vs pitcher.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I'm going to need to see more before committing to this season.

I can't help but believe that we've seen an extended period of hot play by a number of guys who won't be able to maintain pace, specifically Markakis, Albies and a number of pitchers.

I would also say it's likely that the Braves pitchers have been pretty lucky so far in that the staff is dead last in baseball in walks.

Also, Snitker is leaving strap marks on the backs of his relievers.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Well, the prospects that will be important to forming the next team are mostly those three or four years from the majors. I'm not sure trading from AA or AAA surplus now would affect that too much aside from the possibility you would trade it for prospects.

There are a few ways of handling that possible decline. Selling off the likes of Albies, Acuna, swanson, or successful pitchers for premium prospects could be one way of doing it. Drafting well in the interim obviously could beas well.
    Problem is I don't see the Gigantes moving Bumgarner for Lucas Sims-level guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    After leading the NL in runs and BABIP in April with marks of 151 and .317, the Braves are still #3 in runs (127) for May even after regressing back to a much more typical .296 BABIP.

They are maintaining a 9% BB rate. They are maintaining a 20% K rate. Their ISO has tailed off as regression inevitably came for a few HR/FB rates (like Albies).

This is still looking like a legit offense, even after the regression monster reared its ugly head. I would expect a bit more of a slide from Markakis, but this team is what it is offensively by now I think....good.

The SPs are almost dead middle of the NL pack in all relevant measures without getting any real contributions yet from Soroka or Gohara. I would be extremely hesitant to spend any significant resources on an impact SP. Bumgarner would cost an absolute fortune at the deadline.

The BP's wildness has actualy improved a lot this month, going from 6.26 BB/9 in April (worst in NL) to 2.73 in May (2nd best in NL). This is probably an average-ish BP, and it's almost a given they will add an arm at the deadline if they are still in contention. I would not be in favor of paying full retail price on a BP arm with control beyond this season.

The Braves are now average-ish or better at every single position on the diamond, so now it's a matter of sitting back and seeing who is for real. If Camargo is part of the answer we will know by the deadline. Fortunately he is getting the 400 PAs most folks wanted to see him get.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-31-2018 at 11:35 AM.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-31-2018), jpx7 (05-31-2018), nsacpi (05-31-2018), Super (05-31-2018), TURBO (05-31-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-31-2018)