Page 23 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I'd trade Soroka as the main piece in a deal for DeGrom.

I have mixed feelings about Soroka. He was really bad in his last start, and his fastball was sitting 89-92 pretty much all game instead of 93-94. His control is not as good as advertised either.

DeGrom is flat out a number 1. Honestly trading Riley would give me more heartburn that Soroka.
    perhaps a little patience with the 21-year old pitcher.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    perhaps a little patience with the 21-year old pitcher.
    he's still 20
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-21-2018), Super (06-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he's still 20
    i knew that and thought it in my head, don't know why i put 21.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

I have mixed feelings about Soroka. He was really bad in his last start, and his fastball was sitting 89-92 pretty much all game instead of 93-94. His control is not as good as advertised either.

DeGrom is flat out a number 1. Honestly trading Riley would give me more heartburn that Soroka.
    Wow.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    he's still 20
    Zeets is a little relieved.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (06-21-2018), nsacpi (06-21-2018), Tapate50 (06-21-2018), thewupk (06-21-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

SSS. He has been good more than he has been bad. You jumped ship very quickly.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts

More open to trading Soroka than a guy striking out 30% of the time this year? No thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    trading for a #1 pitcher is the surest way to make our competitive window a good deal shorter

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (06-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    SSS. He has been good more than he has been bad. You jumped ship very quickly.
    His velocity has dropped in all 5 MLB starts.

There is certainly cause for concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    His velocity has dropped in all 5 MLB starts.

There is certainly cause for concern.
    I think he was amped up that first game. Throw that out. And he still might not be 100% (not in terms of health but arm strength and stamina) after the stint on the DL.

So we have probably not seen "typical Soroka" yet.

I think with Gohara too, I would guess he was amped up his first few major league starts. And this year between family tragedy, spring training injury, inactivity, we have not seen "typical Gohara" either.

But I still think those two guys are our best hopes for developing an ace.

Btw, it is interesting that Newcomb's velocity is down this year while Folty's is up. Do you make anything of that?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-21-2018 at 02:24 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think he was amped up that first game. Throw that out. And he still might not be 100% (not in terms of health but arm strength and stamina) after the stint on the DL.

So we have probably not seen "typical Soroka" yet.

I think with Gohara too, I would guess he was amped up his first few major league starts. And this year between family tragedy, spring training injury, inactivity, we have not seen "typical Gohara" either.

But I still think those two guys are our best hopes for developing an ace.

Btw, it is interesting that Newcomb's velocity is down this year while Folty's is up. Do you make anything of that?
    My take is that Folty is a physical freak who defies typical pitcher aging curves, while everyone else is following those curves exactly as projected.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Mike has made 5 starts in the majors...two great starts against arguably the worst offense in baseball, and 3 bad starts against SF, Miami, and Toronto. Now this is a small sample, but I've seen each of this starts except the Jays one and he's never looked like he's going to be anything more than a number 3 guy. Most reports on him were that he already had a good feel for pitching (which doesn't appear to be the case) and that he has good control (which hasn't been the case). His slider has mostly looked average to below average as has his change up. His sinker has shown signs of being a plus pitch but for the most part has not been. He seems to work up in the zone a lot which is never good for a sinker ball pitcher. His velocity has been all over the place (dude was below 90 mph on his fastball multiple times against Toronto which I saw the condensed game on mlb.com). I know he's young, but from looking at him it doesn't look like he's has more "growing into his body" so I don't see him adding velocity.

It's possible we haven't seen typical Soroka yet, but you would think we would see signs of this young guy who already has a feel for pitching with good control and this has only been the case against arguably the worst offense in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Mike has made 5 starts in the majors...two great starts against arguably the worst offense in baseball, and 3 bad starts against SF, Miami, and Toronto. Now this is a small sample, but I've seen each of this starts except the Jays one and he's never looked like he's going to be anything more than a number 3 guy. Most reports on him were that he already had a good feel for pitching (which doesn't appear to be the case) and that he has good control (which hasn't been the case). His slider has mostly looked average to below average as has his change up. His sinker has shown signs of being a plus pitch but for the most part has not been. He seems to work up in the zone a lot which is never good for a sinker ball pitcher. His velocity has been all over the place (dude was below 90 mph on his fastball multiple times against Toronto which I saw the condensed game on mlb.com). I know he's young, but from looking at him it doesn't look like he's has more "growing into his body" so I don't see him adding velocity.

It's possible we haven't seen typical Soroka yet, but you would think we would see signs of this young guy who already has a feel for pitching with good control and this has only been the case against arguably the worst offense in baseball.
    yeah...he's been inconsistent...in spite of that he is sporting a FIP of 2.78...maybe that's a fluke...but in five AAA starts he sported a FIP of 1.69...maybe that's a small sample fluke too...so maybe we should wait until he has another 10 starts or so before drawing too many conclusions

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (06-21-2018), jpx7 (06-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

If anyone is trying to assess a pitcher based on results after 5 starts, they're doing something wrong. If anyone is relying on their "eye test" from watching on TV, they are no better than Fat Ben.

Soroka with a 94 mph turbo sinker is a legit 3 or better.

Soroka with a 91 mph average or worse sinker is a 4 or a 5.

He has been trending towards that 91 mph sinker in every appearance he has made at the MLB level.

All we can do is hope the velocity comes back. I'm optimistic it will, just not to the 94+ area he was in his debut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    yeah...he's been inconsistent...in spite of that he is sporting a FIP of 2.78...maybe that's a fluke...but in five AAA starts he sported a FIP of 1.69...maybe that's a small sample fluke too...so maybe we should wait until he has another 10 starts or so before drawing too many conclusions
    I'm just saying his stuff hasn't looked that good except for flashes of a great sinker. I hope it's just being in the bigs, but I think the velocity thing is really concerning especially in the Toronto game. He was low all game (basically the same speed Teheran was in his last game).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    He's friggin 20. He has looked plenty good at times and at other times he's looked like a 20 year old pitcher. I don't know where you get the idea that he hasn't shown good control or a feel for pitching.

Soroka is likely the safest bet among all of our pitchers to be a TOR starter. There is zero chance I'm trading him for DeGrom. I'd trade Newk before I traded Soroka, and I'm a huge fan of Newk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He's friggin 20. He has looked plenty good at times and at other times he's looked like a 20 year old pitcher. I don't know where you get the idea that he hasn't shown good control or a feel for pitching.

Soroka is likely the safest bet among all of our pitchers to be a TOR starter. There is zero chance I'm trading him for DeGrom. I'd trade Newk before I traded Soroka, and I'm a huge fan of Newk.
    He hasn't shown good control (7 walks in 25.2 IP), and he hits the top and middle of the zone a lot for someone who has good control.

I get that he's 20, but the reports on him were he knew how to pitch and he had good control. I'm saying I haven't seen that. His really good starts were against an anemic offense, and his other three starts were pretty terrible. Sure he has room to develop, but DeGrom is already that guy. He's already the guy you start three times during the World Series if you have to.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    He hasn't shown good control (7 walks in 25.2 IP), and he hits the top and middle of the zone a lot for someone who has good control.

I get that he's 20, but the reports on him were he knew how to pitch and he had good control. I'm saying I haven't seen that. His really good starts were against an anemic offense, and his other three starts were pretty terrible. Sure he has room to develop, but DeGrom is already that guy. He's already the guy you start three times during the World Series if you have to.
    Yeah. I'd do Soroka for Degrom straight up. Problem is it would cost way more then that. Too much prospect capital that the Braves need to have a sustained run.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    We really need to be in on Adrian Beltre! He'd make this lineup that much deeper and he's still good defensively as well.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I am all over deGrom, but it would take 2 premium prospects. I dont give soroka unless you think Wright is better.

Wright (or Soroka ) + Wentz (or Anderson) + filler (i would like to include Tehran)