Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what point do we become an actual contender?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

At what point do we become an actual contender?

We have the best NL record (4th in mlb) with the best RD in nl (4th in mlb). Not sure how sustainable this since we were very fortunate with 3b production early, markakis having a career year, and somewhat volatile starting staff (McCarthy health risk, newcomb and soroka still really young). When do you consider it real? Who do you try to add if that happens and who are willing to part with to make it happen?

ETA - we have completed 26% of our schedule
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-17-2018 at 09:52 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i feel like usually when teams are "pretenders," aka winning but in an unsustainable way, it's more obvious than it's been for us this season. for example, their RD will be either low or in the negatives, lots of 1-run wins, a guy or a few playing way above their heads.

our pitching has been lucky and is due some regression i think (but maybe not if the younger guys come in and pitch well). but other than that, it seems like a lot of it is legit. we're legit wild card contenders. division? i'm not sure.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Tough schedule and lack of home games is a good indicator moving forward. I don't think we're too fluky per the metrics.

I think the bp is better than most think it is. I think Weigel could be an option. I think there are a lot of arms in the system that could be good pen guys.

I do not believe in Neck doing this long term.
    I do not believe in 3B.

For us to be real we would need a real 3B and starters that show they can go 6-7 innings instead of 5.

And by contender I mean 80 something wins and a chance at a playoff game. Not WS. I think we have too many really young guys in their first year to be real WS contenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    BrAves will finish mid to high 80 win count. Nats have a big run in them so we are battling for a wc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    The biggest glaring need for us has to be the bullpen. How many games have they either blown for us this season, or gave up too many runs for us to have a chance to come back.....I know the 2 against Chicago and the 1 in Colorado early....those are 3 games that should be wins....
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    This team continues to impress me. That don’t get rattled. They expect to win now. I think Soroka will improve. I think Gohard will get back and take anyone who struggles spot. I think we will get an upgrade at 3rd. I also believe Swanson is going to impress
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This team continues to impress me. That don’t get rattled. They expect to win now. I think Soroka will improve. I think Gohard will get back and take anyone who struggles spot. I think we will get an upgrade at 3rd. I also believe Swanson is going to impress
    thebravesfantheMatt

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-17-2018), JohnAdcox (05-17-2018), nsacpi (05-17-2018), Tapate50 (05-17-2018), The Chosen One (05-17-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    BrAves will finish mid to high 80 win count. Nats have a big run in them so we are battling for a wc.
    You will become a pozzie when we bitch slap them at the end of the month. Your Debbie downer attitude here is annoying.
    Coppy

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Evad (05-17-2018), gamecock4braves (05-17-2018), GovClintonTyree (05-17-2018), Jaw (05-17-2018), JohnAdcox (05-17-2018), nsacpi (05-17-2018), Runnin (05-17-2018), Tapate50 (05-17-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    thebravesfantheMatt
    Only getting warmed up. Watch out.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I think our offense is a bit overrated. Ozzie has some legitimate concerns that are at the moment masked by some pretty ridiculous flyball luck. Nick is obviously playing way above his head. Acuna is also bound to have some real ups and downs as a 20 year old. I’m also pessimistic that we have any viable internal solutions to 3B; I like Camargo as a utility player (and he’s our best current option), but I feel like he’s a bit exposed in a full time role. The real keys are Dansby and Ender. If they can at least be average (100 wRC+) then our lineup will be deep.

The flip side - I think the pitching is actually quite underrated. We can go about 7-8 starters deep with guys that can strike people out. I love that we are using Gohara our of the bullpen in 2-3 inning spurts and I wouldn’t mind doing that more with Soroka, Fried, Allard, and maybe even Touki later on to keep guys fresh. It also is a great way to showcase guys for trades.

The Braves need a couple more pieces. I wish we could have signed Frazier, but he may well end up being a guy we can trade for once the Mets fall out. Beltre seems like he would be a great pickup both as a player and a mentor to our younger Latin players like Ozzie and Acuna.

That’s a lot of words, so more succinctly the fact that we can do exercises like these with a straight face makes a legit contender. This team is absolutely more talented than those Royals and Giants teams that won World Series.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Lol the Nats most likely have already started that hot fire streak and unfortunately unless the Dodgers get their sh*t together the only good team they're going to face for a while is us.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We have the best NL record (4th in mlb) with the best RD in nl (4th in mlb). Not sure how sustainable this since we were very fortunate with 3b production early, markakis having a career year, and somewhat volatile starting staff (McCarthy health risk, newcomb and soroka still really young). When do you consider it real? Who do you try to add if that happens and who are willing to part with to make it happen?

ETA - we have completed 26% of our schedule

All-star break.

The Braves have not been lucky so far but the main issue is sustainability.

3B is a big concern going forward and 1 more legit BP arm would help as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think we will be playing meaningful games in September...im hoping Snit starts coaxing an extra inning here and there from our starters...it will cost us if he cant
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Evad (05-17-2018), GovClintonTyree (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    For this team to be a contender the starting pitching has to be real. That’s the big surprise so far, at least to me, that Teheran, Newcomb, Folty, and really McCarthy have been pretty good.

I would feel terrible about any of those guys in a playoff matchup but maybe I shouldn’t.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    All-star break.

The Braves have not been lucky so far but the main issue is sustainability.

3B is a big concern going forward and 1 more legit BP arm would help as well.
    mentioned this in another thread, but is 3B a "big" concern? even if our production is below replacement level, if we're getting above every where else, isn't that OK?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    mentioned this in another thread, but is 3B a "big" concern? even if our production is below replacement level, if we're getting above every where else, isn't that OK?
    I see what you mean, but what happens when injuries at these other positions inevitably start happening? Fixing 3B is as much about future proofing the team as it is improving the lineup as is.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Super (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I see what you mean, but what happens when injuries at these other positions inevitably start happening? Fixing 3B is as much about future proofing the team as it is improving the lineup as is.
    very true. have to consider injuries, of which we haven't had a ton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    if you are a contender you want to upgrade at the deadline...and third is the obvious place
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    if you are a contender you want to upgrade at the deadline...and third is the obvious place
    And that doesn’t make sense anyway. Even if you marginally upgrade then do it. Dumping filler for a small upgrade is finally worth it now.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Anytime you have a position that's projected to be a blackhole it's going to be a concern. I suspect going forward the Braves are likely to get replacement level production or worse from there. I'm just not a believer in any of the options we currently have. I also suspect Neck to regress from this point through the end of the season. Possibly Albies as well. And I don't think we are truly sold on Swanson being a legit hitter as well for the rest of the season. So while 3B may not be an issue currently if the rest of the team is firing on all cylinders it certainly will be if any/all of those things happen. If the Braves are contendors and we leave that pposition a mess with the ability for a short term fix then it's really inexcusable.