Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valuing our Surplus Pitchers: Wisler, Sims, Fried

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Those 3 pitchers are “non-scrub” guys that teams like the Rays and As value more highly than other organzations. They are all equally (un)valuable, but I would prefer to keep Fried because he has the best single pitch out of all 3 those guys.

If Texas blows it up I suspect they will want younger guys.
    I suspect the Rangers initial ask would be Wilson. I hope our front office would be able to bargain them down from that. If not we can move on to Moose or Lowrie.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    So, if Toronto falls further down, what could we expect Donaldson to fetch, given injury worries this and last season, plus impeding PA? Ballparking: maybe 3 war for Donaldson over the same timeframe, plus (despite the aforementioned injury concerns), a greater likelihood of non-injury second-half than Beltre, due to relative youth. Fried plus what?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    So, if Toronto falls further down, what could we expect Donaldson to fetch, given injury worries this and last season, plus impeding PA? Ballparking: maybe 3 war for Donaldson over the same timeframe, plus (despite the aforementioned injury concerns), a greater likelihood of non-injury second-half than Beltre, due to relative youth. Fried plus what?
    I think with Donaldson it could be someone along the lines of Wilson, Allard or Anderson

Beltran fetched Wheeler a few years ago

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think with Donaldson it could be someone along the lines of Wilson, Allard or Anderson

No to that deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

So even if Donaldson’s only most likely to produce one-ish more win than Beltre, he’s likelier to net a much younger and higher-ceiling pitcher? Because of his greater likelihood for health and MVP-calibre second-half, I assume you’re presuming?

Seems a hefty jump in cost relative to likeliest wins-added value, especially with Machado also on the market; but it wouldn’t surprise me, either—in which case, we’re all right to be hoping the Braves shop in the Beltre/Moustakas/Lowrie aisle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    So even if Donaldson’s only most likely to produce one-ish more win than Beltre, he’s likelier to net a much younger and higher-ceiling pitcher? Because of his greater likelihood for health and MVP-calibre second-half, I assume you’re presuming?

Seems a hefty jump in cost relative to likeliest wins-added value, especially with Machado also on the market; but it wouldn’t surprise me, either—in which case, we’re all right to be hoping the Braves shop in the Beltre/Moustakas/Lowrie aisle.
    Yep. No way I trade allard, Anderson, or wilson for a rental

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts

well...i think a team contemplating a deep run in the post season might see the difference between Donaldson and Beltre as being more than 1 win

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    well...i think a team contemplating a deep run in the post season might see the difference between Donaldson and Beltre as being more than 1 win
    But even then the contenders premium holds the assumption the win is worth more in that short period of time as opposed to wins down the road.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But even then the contenders premium holds the assumption the win is worth more in that short period of time as opposed to wins down the road.
    let's say there is a 100% premium...an extra win is valued at 2...2 extra wins might be valued at 4

that's how guys like Donaldson and Machado end up commanding a top 100 prospect
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-19-2018 at 07:13 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    let's say there is a 100% premium...an extra win is valued at 2...2 extra wins might be valued at 4
    And is further expounded if teams are using discount factors for future wins.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    And is further expounded if teams are using discount factors for future wins.
    true...but what drives it is a team like the Yankees who think they are primed for a deep run...i font think it is wise to pay this sort of premium but each year it seems there are some teams willing to do so

"I am your retribution."

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    In a month nobody will be asking to upgrade third.
    i agree!
    johan will be excellent manning the hot corner and with riley lurking, a trade for a third baseman today doesn't make a lot of sense.

if the braves are going to make a move, a top line starter has got to be it. but even then, i wouldn't give away too much unless you're getting a real star for a while. the braves how they stand now are going to be good for a long time provided the braves don't start giving away assets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    i agree!
    johan will be excellent manning the hot corner and with riley lurking, a trade for a third baseman today doesn't make a lot of sense.

if the braves are going to make a move, a top line starter has got to be it. but even then, i wouldn't give away too much unless you're getting a real star for a while. the braves how they stand now are going to be good for a long time provided the braves don't start giving away assets.
    Only option for a true TOR starter would be if the mets decide to sell but I doubt they'd trade in division on Degrom or Thor.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think these guys can be 5s and cost controlled until almost 30. They need to be turned into long term assets at other areas of need. I just don’t see the deal now.

I always thought sims would play up in Oakland or San Diego

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think these guys can be 5s and cost controlled until almost 30. They need to be turned into long term assets at other areas of need. I just don’t see the deal now.

I always thought sims would play up in Oakland or San Diego
    they could be 5s...they could be a little more as starters...or they could end up as relievers of varying quality...expected surplus value is a way of summarizing the range of possibilities

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    i agree!

I think even if you are relatively optimistic about Camargo and Riley there is still a good case for picking up Beltre or someone similar

"I am your retribution."

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I think even if you are relatively optimistic about Camargo and Riley there is still a good case for picking up Beltre or someone similar
    sure, but the price may not be worth it.
    otherwise let's give away every prospect we have for this year's randy johnson/justin verlander if going for it this year looks like the move to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    sure, but the price may not be worth it.
    otherwise let's give away every prospect we have for this year's randy johnson/justin verlander if going for it this year looks like the move to make.
    I agree the price is important. I draw the line between the group that includes Anderson/Wilson/Allard and the group that includes Wisler/Sims/Fried when it comes to acquiring someone along the lines of Beltre or Moose.

"I am your retribution."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    true...but what drives it is a team like the Yankees who think they are primed for a deep run...i font think it is wise to pay this sort of premium but each year it seems there are some teams willing to do so
    The difference this year however is almost every contending team has a good 3B. The Angels, Cards and Pirates are the only contenders besides us that don't already have really solid 3B in place. And the pirates are pretty unlikely to get into a crazy bidding war.