Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valuing our Surplus Pitchers: Wisler, Sims, Fried

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    The difference this year however is almost every contending team has a good 3B. The Angels, Cards and Pirates are the only contenders besides us that don't already have really solid 3B in place. And the pirates are pretty unlikely to get into a crazy bidding war.
    Miguel Andujar is giving the Yankees replacement level production so far this season.

So at least 4 contending teams will have an interest in a third baseman: Yankees, Cards and Angels, Braves.

It still looks to me like it will be a buyers market. But not a super-depressed buyers market.

If the Pirates are in contention at the deadline they will likely make an offer for someone like Moose or Lowrie that involves the other team picking up salary.

And of course any injuries to third basemen between now and the deadline will work in favor of the selling teams.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-20-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Between Wisler, McCarthy, Sims. Surely we could get a lethal reliever. That’s all we really need...one more guy. Pitching is fine and I even think we are “ok” at third with no moves.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Miguel Andujar is giving the Yankees replacement level production so far this season.
    Given how they kept him out of all the trades they made in recent years and how they've hyped him up a bit, I don't see them sitting him as long as he has decent performance. He's hitting .280ish with an OPS just south of .800 ATM, they aren't going to sit a rookie performing like that. Now if he drops off sure, but right now he's not performing like a rookie that gets sent back to AAA.

At any rate, there are going to be at least 4 solid 3B available at the deadline, and a max of 5 teams interested. That's a pretty huge buyers market, and if the Yanks stick with Andujar it's a gigantic buyers market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Given how they kept him out of all the trades they made in recent years and how they've hyped him up a bit, I don't see them sitting him as long as he has decent performance. He's hitting .280ish with an OPS just south of .800 ATM, they aren't going to sit a rookie performing like that. Now if he drops off sure, but right now he's not performing like a rookie that gets sent back to AAA.

At any rate, there are going to be at least 4 solid 3B available at the deadline, and a max of 5 teams interested. That's a pretty huge buyers market, and if the Yanks stick with Andujar it's a gigantic buyers market.
    your definition of buyer's market is a little different than mine...4 sellers 5 buyers to me is a seller's market...if you add the Dodgers as a team that might trade for Machado to play short, it becomes even more of a seller's market
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2018)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I agree the price is important. I draw the line between the group that includes Anderson/Wilson/Allard and the group that includes Wisler/Sims/Fried when it comes to acquiring someone along the lines of Beltre or Moose.
    yeah, we keep the top prospects and dump the lower ones. sounds good!

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    your definition of buyer's market is a little different than mine...4 sellers 5 buyers to me is a seller's market...if you add the Dodgers as a team that might trade for Machado to play short, it becomes even more of a seller's market
    I agree with you on the top end, it is definitely a sellers market there (I could see Machado and Donaldson going for a bit because of that). But I don't see the Braves shopping there with Riley in AAA anyway. I was more thinking in terms of the lower couple of 3B like Moose or Lowrie. If everyone else blows their wad on the high end and it's just us and say the Angels (who have two prospects worth a crap) and the Pirates shopping for those guys I don't see prices getting inflated all that much. I didn't think about the Dodgers with Machado though, that's a good call.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I suspect the Rangers initial ask would be Wilson. I hope our front office would be able to bargain them down from that. If not we can move on to Moose or Lowrie.
    Perhaps two of the three (Fried, Sims, Wisler). They are unlikely to have any utility for us in a year but might be useful for Texas or KC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Any chance Mooses 15m mutual option comes into play?
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Fried, Wisler and Sims do not have that much value to us, but they would to many other bad/average teams on a budget.

Think of our really bad years and think of how many different guys we started. We would have been GLAD to have even Sims as a #5 that we could count on starting each week.

If we could have given up some great bullpen peices etc and snagged say Wisler and Fried...we would have been elated.

Wisler with his stats this year (given small sample size), would have been our #2. Even though he isn’t one of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Fried and Wisler have value. I just don't believe Sims interests anyone.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Fried and Wisler have value. I just don't believe Sims interests anyone.
    He would be a sweetener (bonus throw in).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Any chance Mooses 15m mutual option comes into play?
    Not likely - it comes with a $1 million buyout, so it shouldn't come into play for us anyway. Was really only put there so he could get a better feel for his market next winter and so he wouldn't have to settle for another $5 million if his market looks as bad as it wound up this year.

I wouldn't think twice about picking it up to be honest. Having him on a 1 year $15 million deal to buy Riley as much time as he needs certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMO. That option is the reason he'd actually be my first target - if he'd come back for that, there would be no pressure at all to spend big anywhere - bring him back at 3B and hold Riley down until at least the second half and see if you could get Markakis to come back on a one year deal and buy more time for D-Pete/Pache. Would be awfully nice to only have those holes filled at the start of 2019 by one year deals rather than 3-4 year ones for players likely to decline (Jones/McCutchen/etc.).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not likely - it comes with a $1 million buyout, so it shouldn't come into play for us anyway. Was really only put there so he could get a better feel for his market next winter and so he wouldn't have to settle for another $5 million if his market looks as bad as it wound up this year.

I wouldn't think twice about picking it up to be honest. Having him on a 1 year $15 million deal to buy Riley as much time as he needs certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMO. That option is the reason he'd actually be my first target - if he'd come back for that, there would be no pressure at all to spend big anywhere - bring him back at 3B and hold Riley down until at least the second half and see if you could get Markakis to come back on a one year deal and buy more time for D-Pete/Pache. Would be awfully nice to only have those holes filled at the start of 2019 by one year deals rather than 3-4 year ones for players likely to decline (Jones/McCutchen/etc.).
    The actual answer is no because it's a mutual option, and those are almost never picked up by both sides.

Mous will be a FA next year.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The actual answer is no because it's a mutual option, and those are almost never picked up by both sides.

Mous will be a FA next year.
    I’m not sure Camargo will do bad enough for us to make a trade at the deadline. If he does...Moose seems to be the best option price wise.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I’m not sure Camargo will do bad enough for us to make a trade at the deadline. If he does...Moose seems to be the best option price wise.

Camargo sitting around replacement level with a walk rate that is mysteriously almost 15% higher than his previous career numbers.

He's had somewhat bad luck with BABIP, which kind of makes sense given how really good his luck was last season in limited appearances.

Watching this this comes to a stop will be interesting, but I will still go with the general consensus of baseball and guess that its not going to be good enough to start at 3B for a contender.

I suppose if you can combine the best of his small samples -- the walk rate and BABIP luck you might have a good player. If you combine the worst of them and you have someone that's barely playable as a reserve.

It's probably in the middle.