Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valuing our Surplus Pitchers: Wisler, Sims, Fried

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Valuing our Surplus Pitchers: Wisler, Sims, Fried

Wisler is 25 with 5 years of contractual control left. Career FIP is 4.87. In 2018, he has pitched to a 4.01 FIP in 3 major league starts. In AAA, he has a 3.36 FIP in 5 starts. Last year in AAA, he had a 3.62 FIP in 94 innings.

Sims is 24 with 6 years of contractual control left. Career FIP is 5.20. In AAA, he has a 3.73 FIP in 5 starts. Last year in AAA, he had a 4.28 FIP in 115 innings.

Fried is 24 with 6 years of contractual control left. Career FIP is 5.56. In AAA, he has a 3.00 FIP in 3 starts. Last year in AA, he had a 4.08 FIP in 19 starts.

I view these three as very close in terms of expected value. Wisler is a year older and has a year less of contractual control, but has a better track record in the majors and minors.

A starting pitcher who can give you 150 innings at a 4.50 FIP is worth about 1 win above replacement. That's pretty close to where I would value Wisler. You add that up for 5 years of contractual control (2 pre-arb and 3 arb) and it gives you an overall expected surplus value of about 4 wins over the years of contractual control. I think that's how a team like say the Texas Rangers might value Wisler.

And how would the Texas Rangers value Adrian Beltre. Presumably if they wanted to trade him they would eat most of the contract in order to try to maximize the return. For the second half of the season, they might project that Beltran would produce 2 wins above replacement. If they traded him for Wisler they would be pocketing a "contender's premium" of about 2 wins. Seems reasonable to me.

What about Sims and Fried?

I think Sims is slightly below Wisler, even allowing for the one year age difference and allowing for some development in that year. However, based on his style of pitching I think he has a slightly better chance of making the transition to the bullpen. So a team like the Rangers would weigh Wisler's slightly higher chances as a starting pitcher versus Sims slightly better projection as a reliever. I suspect they would prefer Wisler.

Fried is a lefty, which everything else equal boosts his value slightly. You could also argue that due to lost development time to the TJ surgery and some injury issues (blisters) last year he has a bit more development ahead of him than Sims although they are the same age. However, you also have to discount some for his sketchier health history. A team like the Rangers would probably take the upside even if it carried more injury risk. So they would favor Fried over Sims. Between Fried and Wisler, I think it would be a tossup for them.

Bottom line: I think a team like that Rangers (Beltre) or Royals (Moose) would be willing to take one of Wisler/Fried/Sims for Beltre or Moose. Moreover, they would probably be willing to eat most of the remaining salary due to those two.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Let's do it then. Would you put lowrie in the same boat as mous and Beltre value wise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Let's do it then. Would you put lowrie in the same boat as mous and Beltre value wise?
    Absolutely. Although I would put him behind the other two. Try to make a deal with the Rangers first, then the Royals. Also the A's might wait a bit before declaring themselves sellers. I think we should upgrade third sooner rather than later.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the Braves can upgrade a position at cost of one of those guys it seems reasonable to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    In a month nobody will be asking to upgrade third.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yea, I think we all agree a trade should come sooner rather than later.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-21-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yea, I think we all agree a trade should come sooner rather than later.
    Well done

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I suppose its possible Bautista goes on a tear.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I suppose its possible Bautista goes on a tear.
    Not as well done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Freeman to 3B?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-21-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    But to actually make a comment on the content of the well constructed OP. I know you spoke about frieds uncharacteristic development track to where he is now so that much must be said. However, using a statistical analysis of fried for his prior year is basically irrelevant. It's well documented the non arm injury issues he had last year. He is a clean slate that requires more data to evaluate.

With all due respect having Sims included in this discussion is worthless. Wisler and Fried are at a different level. Wisler continues to intrigue. He would be a great buy low for any team. Solid number 4 type starter for many years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Freeman to 3B?
    Most well done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    But to actually make a comment on the content of the well constructed OP. I know you spoke about frieds uncharacteristic development track to where he is now so that much must be said. However, using a statistical analysis of fried for his prior year is basically irrelevant. It's well documented the non arm injury issues he had last year. He is a clean slate that requires more data to evaluate.

With all due respect having Sims included in this discussion is worthless. Wisler and Fried are at a different level. Wisler continues to intrigue. He would be a great buy low for any team. Solid number 4 type starter for many years.
    I rate Sims more highly than most around here but yeah it would be a surprise if a team chose him over the other two

"I am your retribution."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts

Minor quibble, but I think Wisler is a 5 for the vast majority of teams. He can be more solid than a decent amount of 5s, but he's still a 5.
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Minor quibble, but I think Wisler is a 5 for the vast majority of teams. He can be more solid than a decent amount of 5s, but he's still a 5.
    depends on whether you think this year's Wisler is real or a small sample mirage...and the sample gets a bit bigger if you consider spring training

"I am your retribution."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    depends on whether you think this year's Wisler is real or a small sample mirage...and the sample gets a bit bigger if you consider spring training
    xwOBA of .401 this year suggests he's been lucky. Even by the eye test I think he's still getting hit hard even with better sequencing.

xFIP is 4.75 as well.

Having said that, I still think it's a toss-up between Wisler and Fried as to who is preferable. I would probably ask for/take Fried if I were the Rangers.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 05-19-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: originally had last year's xwOBA, but this year's is even worse
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I dont think Sims has as much value as a Wisler or Fried.

But any of them for a rental would be good value.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I would love to see a deal like this made. If we could grab Beltre for Wisler or Fried I think it would be a huge win for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Those 3 pitchers are “non-scrub” guys that teams like the Rays and As value more highly than other organzations. They are all equally (un)valuable, but I would prefer to keep Fried because he has the best single pitch out of all 3 those guys.

If Texas blows it up I suspect they will want younger guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Those 3 pitchers are “non-scrub” guys that teams like the Rays and As value more highly than other organzations. They are all equally (un)valuable, but I would prefer to keep Fried because he has the best single pitch out of all 3 those guys.

If Texas blows it up I suspect they will want younger guys.
    So you think Wisler could get lowrie?