Thread: 40 Man Roster Decisions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

40 Man Roster Decisions

Let's start with a list of players currently on the 40 man roster or DL who are under contractual control for 2014.

Catchers (3): Laird, Gattis, Bethancourt

Infielders (10): Freeman, Gosselin, Janish, C Johnson, E Johnson, Mejia, Pastornicky, Pena, Simmons, Uggla

Outfielders (8): Constanza, Cunningham, Heyward, R Johnson, Schafer, Terdoslavich, B Upton, J Upton

RHP (13): Beachy, Carpenter, Gearrin, Hale, Jaime, Kimbrel, Loe, Martinez, Medlen, Northcraft, Teheran, Varvaro, Walden

LHP (4): Avilan, Minor, Venters, Wood

That's 38 right there.

Wren has said he would like to bring back Hudson. We are a bit thin in lefty arms, making it likely we try to bring back EOF or some other lefty.

If we brought back both Hudson and another lefty, that would push us up to 40.

Are there any minor leaguers not on the 40-man roster that we want to add to it in order to avoid losing either via the Rule 5 draft or minor league free agency? I think there are two pitchers who did well in AAA and have potential to help as extra depth: Omar Poveda and Wirfin Obispo. Who might we let go to make room for those two?

Kameron Loe is the most logical guy. Next would be Gosselin. I don't think anyone would claim him if we designated him for assignment. In addition, Janish and Martinez are non-tender candidates.

The Braves would probably want room for two or three more acquisitions. They have a knack for picking up relatively obscure guys that no one else wants and it helps to have a spot or two for such pickups. They might also want to bring back McCann or pick up a major league second baseman.

So let's say they want to create two or three more spots on the 40-man. How might they do that. Non-tendering Janish and Martinez might be the most logical steps. I would try to sign Martinez to a minor league deal if we did that. After that it gets harder. If we tried to designate Cunningham or Constanza for assignment, I suspect another team would claim them and put them on their 40-man roster. I'd say the next guy to move off the 40-man if we needed to create a spot would be Elliot Johnson. I would rank him behind Pena, Pastornicky, Uggla and La Stella as candidates for second base.

So of the guys currently on the 40-man who we might want to move off, I'd say the ranking might look like this: Loe, Gosselin, Janish, Martinez, Elliot Johnson.

The guys from the minors I think we should add to the 40-man to protect would be Poveda and Obispo.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-19-2013), NYCBrave (10-17-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I think easy ones are Janish, EJ, Mejia, Loe to free up space. Gosselin wouldn't really be missed if we removed him. Martinez will probably be removed also. I'm curious which prospects need to be protected this year.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I think easy ones are Janish, EJ, Mejia, Loe to free up space. Gosselin wouldn't really be missed if we removed him. Martinez will probably be removed also. I'm curious which prospects need to be protected this year.
    Those are good names to remove, to free up space. It seems trivial, but even seeing Loe's name is sort of disconcerting. E. Johnson is waiver fodder, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Mejia is a guy who I think still has some upside. He has enormous power, but needs to shorten up the swing some. I like having someone like him stashed in AAA. Given the other options for creating space on the 40 man, I'd hold on to him. I'm pretty sure another team would add him to the 40 man if we designated him for assignment.

I believe Elliot Johnson is out of options. So unless we believe he is going to make the team out of spring training, chances are we are going to lose him at some point. So if we have to create another spot, I'd rate we move EJ rather than someone who still has options such as Mejia, Cunningham and Constanza. The guys with options have extra value because we can shuttle them on and off the major league roster as needed during the season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    What is the requirement that makes someone subject to the rule 5 draft? I know if they're not on the 40 man roster, but at what point do they have to reach to be eligible to be taken?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Loe, Constanza, Elliot Johnson, Martinez, Mejia, and Janish are all eady cuts. Even if another team claims them they are not hard to replace. I don't think Reed Johnson will be back which is another spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    What is the requirement that makes someone subject to the rule 5 draft? I know if they're not on the 40 man roster, but at what point do they have to reach to be eligible to be taken?
    Eligibility for Rule 5 is five years in the minors if they signed at 18 or younger, 4 years in the minors if they signed at 19 or older.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (10-18-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Loe, Constanza, Elliot Johnson, Martinez, Mejia, and Janish are all eady cuts. Even if another team claims them they are not hard to replace. I don't think Reed Johnson will be back which is another spot.
    I believe he gets them all. I will be surprised if Gosselin remains on the 40-man over the winter as well.

I don't know which prospects are Rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man. I believe Hefflinger, Leonard, and Rohm are the only guys that will truly enter that discussion of Braves' draftees. I think Salcedo may also need to be protected, but I'm not sure of his age at signing. Of the non-draftees, Poveda and Obispo will probably be in the discussion. After that, we've got to keep some spots open to sign guys.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Mejia is a guy who I think still has some upside. He has enormous power, but needs to shorten up the swing some. I like having someone like him stashed in AAA. Given the other options for creating space on the 40 man, I'd hold on to him. I'm pretty sure another team would add him to the 40 man if we designated him for assignment.

I believe Elliot Johnson is out of options. So unless we believe he is going to make the team out of spring training, chances are we are going to lose him at some point. So if we have to create another spot, I'd rate we move EJ rather than someone who still has options such as Mejia, Cunningham and Constanza. The guys with options have extra value because we can shuttle them on and off the major league roster as needed during the season.
    Mejia is one of those AAAA guys - big star at AAA but can't hang around long enough at the major league level. Last year, he was the lone Gwinnett AAA All Star selection, but he wasn't able to parlay that into anything more than a Sept. callup. Surprised that there wasn't interest from other clubs. He must not be perceived as more than career minor leaguer or injury fill-in. Usually, these types of players get cut loose to try and allow them to find another opportunity within another organization. It doesn't help his cause with Freeman in ATL, especially since Mejia only plays 1B (and could DH).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know which prospects are Rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man. I believe Hefflinger, Leonard, and Rohm are the only guys that will truly enter that discussion of Braves' draftees. I think Salcedo may also need to be protected, but I'm not sure of his age at signing. Of the non-draftees, Poveda and Obispo will probably be in the discussion. After that, we've got to keep some spots open to sign guys.
    You're right about Hefflinger, Rohm and Leornard being eligible for the Rule 5 draft. But I don't think any of them would be drafted. The Braves can probably take a calculated risk and leave them off the roster. I don't think Salcedo has to be protected until next year. He signed in 2010 at age 18 and has 4 minor league seasons under his belt.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    The following are all Rule 5 eligible in December (nearly half are also minor league free agents and will no longer be in the Braves system by then unless they are resigned):

Mitch Atkins
    Luis Ayala
    William Beckwith
    Brandon Boggs
    Rafael Bricero
    Cory Brownstein
    Brett Cammons
    Albert Campos
    Dan Castro
    Dan Carroll
    Juan Cedeno
    Dimasther Delgado
    Pat Egan
    Abraham Espinosa
    Robert Fish
    Carlos Franco
    Hector Garcia
    Stefan Gartrell
    Yean Carlos Gil
    Greg Golson
    Tyler Greene
    Robert Hefflinger
    Mycal Jones
    Sean Kazmar
    Thomas Keeling
    Barrett Kleinkneckt
    Emerson Landoni
    Michael Lee
    Jose Lugo
    Ronald Luna
    Christian Marrero
    Felix Marte
    Jose Martinez
    Shawn McGill
    Gary Moran
    Anthony Nunez
    Andy Otero
    Ronan Pacheco
    Carlos Perez
    Williams Perez
    Benino Pruneda
    Wilson Rivera
    David Rohm
    Edison Sanchez
    Chasen Shreve
    Chris Sims
    Matt Weaver
    Ryan Weber
    Nick Weglarz
    Keenan Wiley
    Last edited by ElChupanibre; 10-17-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't think Lipka should be on the above list. Signed at age 18 in 2010 and has 4 pro seasons.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't think Lipka should be on the above list. Signed at age 18 in 2010 and has 4 pro seasons.
    Removed him, had his birthyear incorrect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Lol still wondering why Constanza's name is even mentioned in the "cut " or trade. I don't what else this bastard has to do to prove he's a decent valuable asset.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jsebe10 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Lol still wondering why Constanza's name is even mentioned in the "cut " or trade. I don't what else this bastard has to do to prove he's a decent valuable asset.
    Plus he has an option left. I would definitely keep him on the 40 man.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Ryan Buchter is another one who could be added to the 40-man roster. His walk rate is much too high. But the strikeout rate in AAA was one of the best in the league. We don't have too many lefty relievers in AAA, which should help his chances.

Last season he had 51 walks and 103 strikeouts in 62 innings, both cartoonishly high numbers.

He's pitching in the Mexican Winter League and so far has 9 strikeouts and 1 walk in 6 innings.

Fastball sits at 95 and has a nasty slider. The stuff is there. Maybe Roger McDowell can work a little magic with his control.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-29-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Must be some kind of Vulcan mind meld going on because I thought of Buchter this morning after looking at the Winter League stats.

I was shocked to see his walk rate is as high as it is, but he could be a LOOGY. His splits against LHH in 2013 were pretty impressive although he walked a lot of them as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The Rodrigo Lopez trade might yet pay off!