Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soroka and Gohara

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves were always going to sign an older pitcher to fill out the rotation. Julio may as well be that guy because nobody is giving the Braves anything of consequence for him.

If Julio is the #5 SP next year the Braves will be in pretty good shape.
    Wha? A poster other than you told me we were going to get either Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, or Jahmai Jones for him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    So Gohara takes the red eye in Brazil and gets into Atlanta Sunday morning and then Sunday afternoon takes a flight to San Diego, and we pitch him Monday. The results were not surprising. The question I have is whether there is increased injury risk to being asked to pitch under those circumstances. I'll repeat my point from the OP: he should be in the minors getting stretched out to start. Teheran's alarming drop in velocity suggests he might not be able to stick in the rotation long. He will be able to make his next two starts on six days rest. Hopefully, his arm can bounce back some. If not, there will likely be an opening in the rotation fairly soon.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So Gohara takes the red eye in Brazil and gets into Atlanta Sunday morning and then Sunday afternoon takes a flight to San Diego, and we pitch him Monday. The results were not surprising. The question I have is whether there is increased injury risk to being asked to pitch under those circumstances. I'll repeat my point from the OP: he should be in the minors getting stretched out to start. Teheran's alarming drop in velocity suggests he might not be able to stick in the rotation long. He will be able to make his next two starts on six days rest. Hopefully, his arm can bounce back some. If not, there will likely be an opening in the rotation fairly soon.
    Isn't Teheran keeping velocity about the same except for like every 3rd or 4th start? Weird

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    The last two seasons he usually doesn't have command, which along with his declining velocity is most of the problem with him. It's been pretty simple for him during his career, when he's had a walk rate around 2 per 9 he's had excellent seasons, when he's above 3 he's had bad seasons. This year he's right at 4 per 9 so he's getting smacked around.
    I've noticed that, too. I've never seen a guy's walk ratio bounce around as much as his. I mean, you see trends, but I can't remember seeing a guy struggle every other year with command.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    So Gohara takes the red eye in Brazil and gets into Atlanta Sunday morning and then Sunday afternoon takes a flight to San Diego, and we pitch him Monday. The results were not surprising. The question I have is whether there is increased injury risk to being asked to pitch under those circumstances. I'll repeat my point from the OP: he should be in the minors getting stretched out to start.
    Just foolish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Teheran's alarming drop in velocity suggests he might not be able to stick in the rotation long. He will be able to make his next two starts on six days rest. Hopefully, his arm can bounce back some. If not, there will likely be an opening in the rotation fairly soon.
    You'd think, but look at the thing with the cramping back muscle. Suddenly he was back and effective his very next start.

I love Julion, but I'm very tired of his erratic performance. If you can't pitch, don't go. And somebody else needs to make that decision, not Julio. Because he'll take the ball every time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Isn't Teheran keeping velocity about the same except for like every 3rd or 4th start? Weird
    In his previous start against he Mets his velocity really dipped when he got sent out for the 7th inning. To like 85 mph. And he bounced back poorly against San Diego. Hopefully, an extra day rest will help in his next start.

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    In his previous start against he Mets his velocity really dipped when he got sent out for the 7th inning. To like 85 mph. And he bounced back poorly against San Diego. Hopefully, an extra day rest will help in his next start.
    He does a ****ty job of knowing his body and when something is wrong with him that will dramatically impact his ability to pitch. I don't put that on him, necessarily. When you have a player like that, you have to make that decision for him, because he's going to try and go every time. Freddie is like that. Hell, my kid is like that in HS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    on the just completed road trip Gohara pitched mop up duty the first game and the last game...i hope this little experiment comes to an end soon and he is sent to AAA to work as a starter...right now we have only 2 solid starters (Folty and Newcomb)...it seems increasingly obvious that Soroka AND Gohara will be needed in the major league rotation in the second half

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-11-2018), jpx7 (06-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    on the just completed road trip Gohara pitched mop up duty the first game and the last game...i hope this little experiment comes to an end soon and he is sent to AAA to work as a starter...right now we have only 2 solid starters (Folty and Newcomb)...it seems increasingly obvious that Soroka AND Gohara will be needed in the major league rotation in the second half
    I honestly don’t know what they are doing with Gohara. They are using him the same way they use guys like Wisler and Fried.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (06-10-2018), Jaw (06-11-2018), JohnAdcox (06-11-2018), jpx7 (06-12-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I am a little more worried about Gohara after this year. Maybe he just needs to consistently pitch. I don’t remember his velocity bouncing up and down like this last year.

Still....he is a better option than McCarthy and Julio even wth the inconsistency.

After seeing all the different DL stints by pitchers. Maybe we should not trade any this year and just pitch the five pitchers that are healthy at any given time.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2018), jpx7 (06-12-2018)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Maybe I am old school...Bobby Coxish...but I think they need to pick their horses and rude them. Folty, Newcomb, Soroka, Goraha and just go with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Maybe I am old school...Bobby Coxish...but I think they need to pick their horses and rude them. Folty, Newcomb, Soroka, Goraha and just go with it.
    yeah but Gohara needs to go to AAA and pitch for a month...being a mop up guy in the pen ain't gonna get his arm ready

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    yeah but Gohara needs to go to AAA and pitch for a month...being a mop up guy in the pen ain't gonna get his arm ready
    Eh. I'm not totally upset with it as it gets him used to seeing MLB hitters, and still getting him "in shape" to throw a few days a week. If we are still playing this at the ASB, then yeah I'll worry. It's also limiting his innings a bit for now.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Everybody talks about that super swing man, but seems to be objection to Gohara being auditioned for it.

His body is worse, his velocity is down. Maybe fewer innings are the best thing for him right now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Everybody talks about that super swing man, but seems to be objection to Gohara being auditioned for it.

His body is worse, his velocity is down. Maybe fewer innings are the best thing for him right now.
    I am not sure Gohara is a “throw every few days” type guy. Big fella needs some recovery days lol.