Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: GDT: 6/04/2018 @ Padres

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    His walk rate is low, his HR rate is low, his hit rate is low, his ERA is two, he's going seven innings every game...

but his K rate is alarmingly low, too. And the GO/AO isn't low, about even.

So all he's done is get results, pitching to contact. I guess the only thing to do is find out. Can't be worse than the Teheran/Gohara show last night.
    They both need to be DL'ed.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    this is one of the most absurd things ever said on here, and it did not get enough attention.
    She's really convicted that he needs to stop hitting the ball in the air. It's an interesting conundrum, because he had more than passing success doing it, but history would suggest that if he doesn't change he's screwed.

I try and visualize him as 6'2", 220, and whether I'd be insisting he hit the ball on the ground and use his speed. I think the answer is in the middle, and that he'll learn to treat certain pitches in certain zones as tasty, others to not do too much with and others to leave alone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    They both need to be DL'ed.
    I don't think Gohara needs to be. He needs to be stretched out.
    Teheran, on the other hand..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    She's really convicted that he needs to stop hitting the ball in the air. It's an interesting conundrum, because he had more than passing success doing it, but history would suggest that if he doesn't change he's screwed.

I try and visualize him as 6'2", 220, and whether I'd be insisting he hit the ball on the ground and use his speed. I think the answer is in the middle, and that he'll learn to treat certain pitches in certain zones as tasty, others to not do too much with and others to leave alone.
    i just think it's really silly to suggest that a 21-year old who's already had success and always had success literally everywhere is on the brink of being "permanently broken." like, it's just...dumb. of course he's going to have to make adjustments. did anyone at all expect him to put up a consistent .900 OPS throughout the year? of course a young player is going to have slumps and be forced to make adjustments. some people really can't handle a player going thru a slump, even tho it happens to every single player ever. i wouldn't have been surprised if he had a wRC+ of under 100 this year, being that he's, you know, TWENTY ONE and will be all season.

he started off so good and so lucky, and it's catching up to him. he made it look so easy that some got spoiled and can't handle a normal slump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    i just think it's really silly to suggest that a 21-year old who's already had success and always had success literally everywhere is on the brink of being "permanently broken." like, it's just...dumb. of course he's going to have to make adjustments. did anyone at all expect him to put up a consistent .900 OPS throughout the year? of course a young player is going to have slumps and be forced to make adjustments. some people really can't handle a player going thru a slump, even tho it happens to every single player ever. i wouldn't have been surprised if he had a wRC+ of under 100 this year, being that he's, you know, TWENTY ONE and will be all season.

he started off so good and so lucky, and it's catching up to him. he made it look so easy that some got spoiled and can't handle a normal slump.
    Ozzie just needs to be a little more selective in the pitches he swings at. That's the issue here. Not that he needs to be sat or moved down in the order. Just realize he's only as good as the pitch that he swings at. He's been unlucky of late as well, barreling up a lot of balls that don't find a hole or gap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

She has you triggered, doesn't she? Lol

Just ignore it... everyone knows Ozzie will be fine

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Ozzie just needs to be a little more selective in the pitches he swings at. That's the issue here. Not that he needs to be sat or moved down in the order. Just realize he's only as good as the pitch that he swings at. He's been unlucky of late as well, barreling up a lot of balls that don't find a hole or gap.
    Yeah, that's another thing: his BABIP is .271. Not like he was rocking a high one while he was killing it. K-rate has fallen every month with BB rate pretty stable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

if she were trolling i'd be able to, but when it's genuine...ugh.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    1. Teams are still chasing less on Folty this year than they were last year, which suggests that his breaking ball isn't that good and doesn't fool people that much, but it's ranked at 11.1 on fangraphs. The fastball thing is still an issue for him, it gets hammered.
    2. I did not think Dansby was going to be traded, I thought if Coppy-gate hadn't of happened, that Albies was going to be traded as they didn't think he was good at all.
    3. Albies is going to hit .240-.250 if he doesn't stop being a dead pull hitter.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Saying Ozzie is permanently broken is equally as stupid as thinking Ozzie was going to maintain anything resembling a 20% HR/FB rate.

Yes, Albies will be fine.

Still hoping for more wisdom from Gov about players' power though. His insights on Albies were correct and very useful. Wait, never mind, they were the exact opposite.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Velo is low, Ks are insanely low, FIP and xFIP aren't great. it's hard for me to see much from him.
    7k/9 isn’t insanely low. It’s just on the bottom end of what you see in majors now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    7k/9 isn’t insanely low. It’s just on the bottom end of what you see in majors now.
    Except for the fact he isn't at 7 K/9 in AAA. He is at 5.71 K/9. Allard is relying on a very low BABIP of .258 despite very average LD/FB/GB rates. That combination isn't going to play at the MLB level.

Go ahead and find pitchers that were successful at the MLB level with that type of K rate. I'll wait.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Except for the fact he isn't at 7 K/9 in AAA. He is at 5.71 K/9. Allard is relying on a very low BABIP of .258 despite very average LD/FB/GB rates. That combination isn't going to play at the MLB level.

Go ahead and find pitchers that were successful at the MLB level with that type of K rate. I'll wait.
    Career rate is about 7 and it was 6 something last I checked - maybe one start ago?

I’m not high on Allard though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Maybe Georgia wants to trade Ozzie and promote TD.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I'm gonna keep dreaming big...
    Greinke milb k rate = 7.74 per 9
    Allard milb k rate = 8.11 per 9

I'm sure I'll be disappointed, but I like allard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts

I hate the way he makes it a foregone conclusion that the guy sucks and should just kill himself because he's useless, but that K rate is really low for the modern game. There was more pitching to contact in the olden days. Like the 90s.

The other anomaly that seems to show up from time to time on the K/9 issue is sinkerballers. Sometimes they're effective despite the low K/9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    1. Teams are still chasing less on Folty this year than they were last year, which suggests that his breaking ball isn't that good and doesn't fool people that much, but it's ranked at 11.1 on fangraphs. The fastball thing is still an issue for him, it gets hammered.
    2. I did not think Dansby was going to be traded, I thought if Coppy-gate hadn't of happened, that Albies was going to be traded as they didn't think he was good at all.
    3. Albies is going to hit .240-.250 if he doesn't stop being a dead pull hitter.
    Is it .240-.250 or .200-.220? I'm confused about just how badly he's gonna suck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

fair point, but was greinke throwing 88-90 MPH back then?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Maybe Georgia wants to trade Ozzie and promote TD.
    No, I don't. I just think Atlanta/Georgia sports fans can never have nice things. Ever. All of their players are never going to fully live up to it.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I hate the way he makes it a foregone conclusion that the guy sucks and should just kill himself because he's useless, but that K rate is really low for the modern game. There was more pitching to contact in the olden days. Like the 90s.

The other anomaly that seems to show up from time to time on the K/9 issue is sinkerballers. Sometimes they're effective despite the low K/9.
    What are your projections for Allard? Have any more brilliant assessment of another hitter's power?

Can we do a leave the board bet?

You don't know ****. Stop trying to live vicariously through your son's HS exploits that won't get past whatever swamp water school he competes at.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-05-2018 at 12:21 PM.