Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    They absolutely cannot let Stewart not sign short of a fully legitimate, career threatening injury (which raises other questions). They already have lost a significant amount of potential future talent due to Coppy gate AND, now that they are playing better, will lose future draft position, plus face a J2 next year where they can sign no one for more than $10,000 THEN get their J2 pool cut in half the year after that.

If Stewart does have some kind of career ending type injury, then that may just be bad luck or potentially someone dropped the ball on the background side of scouting. But short of that, AA better get this thing done.
    The Pipeline blurb clearly states that the concerns didn't arise until his POST-DRAFT physical. There's absolutely nothing they could have done that they didn't do. As things stand today, potential draftees aren't required to undergo a pre-draft physical for potential suitors. I'd imagine this will be something that's addressed in the bargaining over the next CBA.

Stewart's curve obviously gives him a high ceiling, but he doesn't come with any guarantees. If he's damaged goods (that may simply be a bump in the road) and is willing to take an offer that the organization is comfortable gambling with, great. If he's not willing to take what will still be life-altering money and understand the reason the organization is being careful, let him gamble on himself and go to school.

I'd imagine I speak for many when saying I'd rather have a healthy #9 pick in 2019 than the next Brady Aiken. There are no "got tos" in this situation. I hope he signs because I like his upside as much as everyone else does, but I'd rather have a healthy lottery ticket next year if he's crazy enough to turn down what the Braves are offering when there's clear evidence something's wrong and he may never get a shot at that money again.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The downside may be that any expected savings resulting from Stewart being expected to sign for below slot may have already been absorbed, which could conceivably put us in penalty territory. I obviously can't say that because I don't know what everyone's signing bonus has been, but they went well above slot for Beck and slightly above for Graffanino (and maybe a couple of Post-Round 10 guys) so we are likely dancing on the edge.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The downside may be that any expected savings resulting from Stewart being expected to sign for below slot may have already been absorbed, which could conceivably put us in penalty territory. I obviously can't say that because I don't know what everyone's signing bonus has been, but they went well above slot for Beck and slightly above for Graffanino (and maybe a couple of Post-Round 10 guys) so we are likely dancing on the edge.
    We have a little over $5.3 million left to spend, and Stewart's slot is $4.98 million. So even if he doesn't sign and we lose that $4.98 million, we aren't in penalty territory and would have about 300k left to spend on guys taken after the first 10 rounds.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-03-2018), jpx7 (07-03-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-03-2018), Super (07-03-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    We have a little over $5.3 million left to spend, and Stewart's slot is $4.98 million. So even if he doesn't sign and we lose that $4.98 million, we aren't in penalty territory and would have about 300k left to spend on guys taken after the first 10 rounds.
    Yeah - we're safe no matter what happens with Stewart.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    So after he wrote that Carter-Atlanta are the furthest away than any other first-rounders, Jim Callis just tweeted this:

The three 1st-rders I'm on the fence about the most are Turang (@Brewers), Ginn (@Dodgers), McClanahan (@RaysBaseball). @MLBDraft

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    So after he wrote that Carter-Atlanta are the furthest away than any other first-rounders, Jim Callis just tweeted this:

The three 1st-rders I'm on the fence about the most are Turang (@Brewers), Ginn (@Dodgers), McClanahan (@RaysBaseball). @MLBDraft
    it sure is easy to follow contract negotiations with how consistent callis is
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 07-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Thanks for the update. Glad someone keeps track because I don't anymore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Pretty sure they still do, it would just be one pick lower (so pick 9, I guess).

I don’t know enough about the injury or next year’s draft to say if it would be worth it not to sign him for the extra pick next year.
    I think I know enough to know that if you are willing to pay someone 4 million dollars to play for you that you must not feel too bad about it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Does he mean that in terms of signability? Without context, it reads like reflection on value/potential.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Does he mean that in terms of signability? Without context, it reads like reflection on value/potential.
    Yes. This is what was asked.

“Do you thing Turang signs with the Brewers?”

“Unclear. The three 1st-rders I'm on the fence about the most are Turang (@Brewers), Ginn (@Dodgers), McClanahan (@RaysBaseball).”

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If the Carter signing is basically held up by an injury then i'd think it would have to be elbow or shoulder related.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think I know enough to know that if you are willing to pay someone 4 million dollars to play for you that you must not feel too bad about it.
    Very true

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Ethan Hankins ended up signing for 250k over slot at pick #35 for Cleveland. That's a pretty good get if the shoulder wasn't a thing.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If the Carter signing is basically held up by an injury then i'd think it would have to be elbow or shoulder related.
    Believe it’s his wrist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ball4life32 View Post
    Believe it’s his wrist.
    If it's just his wrist then i'm not worried. It's probably just a way of the Braves trying to save a little. It probably gets done on deadline day.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If it's just his wrist then i'm not worried. It's probably just a way of the Braves trying to save a little. It probably gets done on deadline day.
    I remember when I was Stewart's age and my wrist really hurt a lot.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-04-2018), Hudson2 (07-03-2018), rico43 (07-05-2018), zedsdead (07-03-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I remember when I was Stewart's age and my wrist really hurt a lot.
    It puts the lotion in the basket

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Sounds like the Braves will try to sign him for less than expected and throw some more to Hess (to try to sign both of them).

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Jon Heyman tweeted this:

"day before deadline, 6 1st rounders not completely done: No. 4 madrigal, chisox (agreed, $6.4M slot, just not signed), No. 20 larnach, twins (close to deal), No. 21 turang, brewers (optimism), No. 25, mclain, dbacks, No. 30 ginn, dodgers, No. 31 mcclanahan, rays (all: work to do)"

Not sure if he accidentally left off Stewart or if he knows something we don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It would really suck if we didn’t sign Carter.