Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Any word on when/where Beck will be reporting?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    Any word on when/where Beck will be reporting?
    No word but it's unsurprising given injury history and innings already. He'll probably pitch again in A ball sometime this summer but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 20ish innings, maybe not that.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    No word but it's unsurprising given injury history and innings already. He'll probably pitch again in A ball sometime this summer but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 20ish innings, maybe not that.
    I think he threw 90 innings in a year after his injuries. I don’t really see a need to push him this year. Just get him ready for spring 2019. Same with Kingham.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You realize all this hand-wringing is beyond useless, right?

They haven't the slightest clue who (or what) will be available at #9 next June - and certainly aren't making plans based on who they think that player might be. All these theories (not just yours) are pretty laughable. You've seen how much draft boards change in the span of a couple weeks when May rolls around every year - thinking that they've got ANY particular target in mind 11 months ahead of the next draft is nuts.
    Hand-wringing is what we do here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Will the braves have more money to spend on the extra pick next season? If so, how much?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Will the braves have more money to spend on the extra pick next season? If so, how much?

So take the Braves pool from this year, add something like the money for the 22nd pick plus third round pick in same range. So maybe something like 10.5-11 million in the pool pending whatever happens with comp picks. That'd be about the fourth or fifth largest pool probably.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    So take the Braves pool from this year, add something like the money for the 22nd pick plus third round pick in same range. So maybe something like 10.5-11 million in the pool pending whatever happens with comp picks. That'd be about the fourth or fifth largest pool probably.
    And while it’s not likely, the Braves could offer Markakis the QO and get a compensation pick. I say unlikely because I would be surprised if he rejected it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    And while it’s not likely, the Braves could offer Markakis the QO and get a compensation pick. I say unlikely because I would be surprised if he rejected it.
    I said long ago that a QO for Markakis wasn't an idea to be dismissed outright.

The Braves will have to very accurately assess their chances of signing Harper/Pollock, or trading for an impact LFer very early in the off season. Markakis on a 1 year deal makes more sense than wading into the off season unable to acquire a premium OFer. Most likely they play it safe and let Markakis go, and then circle back to him late as Plan C or D if nothing else works out.

This is the off season we've been waiting for a long time. It will be fascinating.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-10-2018 at 01:21 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-03-2018), gcbraves (07-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    With Harper struggling, I wonder if we do have a shot at signing him. Don't know if I want him, but it sure is tempting... I've really gotten to where I don't like Machado's attitude.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    With Harper struggling, I wonder if we do have a shot at signing him. Don't know if I want him, but it sure is tempting... I've really gotten to where I don't like Machado's attitude.
    You don't mind Bryce's attitude but do Machado's? The only difference between the two are their race. They are both divas. Machado has never fought his teammate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Unless Harper snaps out of it and posts a silly 2nd half along the lines of 4 WAR, he can pretty much kiss that $450M+ contract goodbye.

If he plods along per his projections and finishes with ~4 WAR, he could be looking for the most expensive pillow contract in MLB history...something front loaded with a couple opt outs that allow him to hit the market again before he is 30 and earn that obscene contract.

Getting Harper for ~$350M with $35-$40M paid over the first 3-4 years, and opt outs after years 2, 3 and/or 4 is a plausible (though not probable) way for him to end up in Atlanta.

The hope would be Harper produces at an MVP level for 2-3 years, then opts out.

The back up plan would be he gets hurt, can't play the OF consistently anymore, opts in, and takes over 1B when Freeman leaves.

Much more likely a team like the Phils just gives him more money than the Braves could ever possibly afford.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

weso1 (07-10-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Unless Harper snaps out of it and posts a silly 2nd half along the lines of 4 WAR, he can pretty much kiss that $450M+ contract goodbye.

If he plods along per his projections and finishes with ~4 WAR, he could be looking for the most expensive pillow contract in MLB history...something front loaded with a couple opt outs that allow him to hit the market again before he is 30 and earn that obscene contract.

Getting Harper for ~$350M with $35-$40M paid over the first 3-4 years, and opt outs after years 2, 3 and/or 4 is a plausible (though not probable) way for him to end up in Atlanta.

The hope would be Harper produces at an MVP level for 2-3 years, then opts out.

The back up plan would be he gets hurt, can't play the OF consistently anymore, opts in, and takes over 1B when Freeman leaves.

Much more likely a team like the Phils just gives him more money than the Braves could ever possibly afford.
    I'd love to see the Braves give him crazy money while guys are young and see if we can get him. 3/125 with an opt out after 2/80. It's worth it IMO. I could see ppl balking at the annual value. I'd do 2/100 if I could get a team option for year 3. I really think he'd produce and it would hurt the Nats and Phils. Albies, Harper, Acuna, FF would be fun.

For QO for neck....depends on the trade rules. IIRC we gave a QO to Soriano and he accepted when we didn't want him to. We traded him really quickly after that. IMO Neck off of this this year would be a very attractive 1 year guy. If he takes the QO you can probably move him. Maybe even get a good piece if you'll swallow 5 million or so. I think it's worth the risk.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    You don't mind Bryce's attitude but do Machado's? The only difference between the two are their race. They are both divas. Machado has never fought his teammate.
    To be fair Machado has never played with Papelbon either.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To be fair Machado has never played with Papelbon either.
    Moreover, to my knowledge, Harper has never said anything to the effect of, “I’m a centerfielder. I play CF,” but instead played the position at which his team felt he was most valuable.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd love to see the Braves give him crazy money while guys are young and see if we can get him. 3/125 with an opt out after 2/80. It's worth it IMO. I could see ppl balking at the annual value. I'd do 2/100 if I could get a team option for year 3. I really think he'd produce and it would hurt the Nats and Phils. Albies, Harper, Acuna, FF would be fun.

For QO for neck....depends on the trade rules. IIRC we gave a QO to Soriano and he accepted when we didn't want him to. We traded him really quickly after that. IMO Neck off of this this year would be a very attractive 1 year guy. If he takes the QO you can probably move him. Maybe even get a good piece if you'll swallow 5 million or so. I think it's worth the risk.
    3/125 with an opt out after year 2 isn't going to come close. Neither is 2/100.

It would be something like 8/300 or 10/350 guaranteed, with $110M-$120M front loaded in the first 3 years, with 2-3 opt outs.

Haprer isn't going to leave $200M+ on the table just because he wants to bet on him self...he doesn't have to. He will have enough opt outs in the deal that he can hit the market again when he wants.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-10-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Moreover, to my knowledge, Harper has never said anything to the effect of, “I’m a centerfielder. I play CF,” but instead played the position at which his team felt he was most valuable.
    He just coincidentally started taking groundballs at 1B when playing the Yankees even though the Nats have no need for him there and the Yankees need a 1B.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I have a feeling Harper ends up signing with the Cubs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    If you're drafted and don't sign, can you sit out an amount of time and be a FA? There's a guy on miss state message board saying carter Stewart is sitting out and gonna sign with braves. I think it's crazy talk, but want to know the rule

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    If you're drafted and don't sign, can you sit out an amount of time and be a FA? There's a guy on miss state message board saying carter Stewart is sitting out and gonna sign with braves. I think it's crazy talk, but want to know the rule
    That would defeat the entire purpose of the draft and the draft pool penalties, now wouldn't it? The Braves lost all rights to Stewart when they failed to sign him. Your fellow alum is a moron.

If Stewart wants to play MLB baseball, he must go through the next draft. He can either go to college and be eligible for the draft in 3 years, or he can go to a junior college and be eligible for the next draft. The Braves could certainly draft him in the next draft he enters if they still like him.

There are things he could also possibly do in foreign leagues that would subject him to international signing rules. He could theoretically go to Korea or Japan, play enough seasons that he is considered a "pro" by the international rules, and come back to MLB by signing whatever contract a team is willing to give him. There may also be a loophole where he plays internationally and then comes to MLB as an international player subject to international signing bonus pools (rules state he must not be enrolled in a US/Canada/PR high school for a calendar year to be eligible).

Most likely Stewart signs with a juco, shows he's healthy for a year, and then enters the 2019 draft. That seems a lot smarter than risking 3 years pitching in college. He's already seen as having elite stuff, so he doesn't need to develop to be seen as a top prospect, he just needs to prove he's healthy.

Not agreeing to sign rarely works out well for top draft picks. I would have advised Stewart to take the millions the Braves offered him, and allow their medical/training/coaching staff to help him get healthy in top notch facilities. The Braves would be heavily invested in getting him right, his college would have been paid for if he flamed out, and he would be pretty well set for the rest of his life.

Now he's going to go play for some joker juco coach with subpar facilities and staff, who isn't invested in his health beyond the upcoming juco season. All for what? To maybe get another $1M-$2M? Poor choices made by his advisers.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-31-2018 at 11:49 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-31-2018), msstate7 (08-31-2018), Tapate50 (08-31-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Not even Coppy can get away with that!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-09-2018)