Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If it's a legit injury that they found out post draft then I have no problem if he's signed or not. If it's just the Braves hard balling him then that's really crappy.
    I see no plus to the braves doing this.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If it's a legit injury that they found out post draft then I have no problem if he's signed or not. If it's just the Braves hard balling him then that's really crappy.
    That’s just it...we may never know. If he goes on to pitch a normal college season....that will be very telling.

It feels more like a gamble not paying off to me, but no evidence either way.

For our luck, he doesn’t sign and someone like the Mets draft him and he torments us for ten years. This is how it seems to pan out for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I see no plus to the braves doing this.

get a draft pick next year 1 slot lower. I thought this draft was trash so next year cant help but be better.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    get a draft pick next year 1 slot lower. I thought this draft was trash so next year cant help but be better.
    Heck of conclusive thought considering they did well to snag a few well thought of players who signed already. Carter is the big fish but this draft was solid. It's very good with Carter and damn good with Hess or vodnik.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    There are seven players from the top 10 rounds who are still unsigned. Jim Callis mentioned Stewart in a group of four that he's "more optimistic" about, so that's good news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    All the talking heads I've heard from Twitter in the past 2 days say they'd rather have a top 10 player in this year's draft than next year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    All the talking heads I've heard from Twitter in the past 2 days say they'd rather have a top 10 player in this year's draft than next year.
    I haven't read anything with any depth comparing the two drafts, but most pieces were consistent in considering this to be a good draft class on the whole - maybe not earth-shattering at the top, but pretty strong well into the second (and even third) round.

Certainly didn't see anyone call it a weak class at all.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    And next year they will say the same thing. It's really difficult to project high school juniors to seniors and the summer season and showcases aren't complete. I can see both sides in the Stewart negotiations. Stewart thinks the injury is a minor impediment and the Braves don't want to throw $5 million at a guy who will have his arm figuratively amputated at some point. That's what negotiations are all about. I am a long term budget agnostic on whether the failure to sign Stewart would have massive effects on Anthropoulos' blueprint.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Another negative of not signing Stewart -- It could impact our picks next season. Even though we would gain the #9 pick next season, we also are expecting to be active in the free agent market this coming offseason. If we sign a player who rejected a qualifying offer, we would be giving up our third-highest pick. If we have two first round picks next year, that means we'd be forfeiting our second rounder. If we sign Stewart now and only have one first rounder next year, we'd be forfeiting our third round pick.
    I may be in the minority, but as long as we got the replacement pick if Stewart doesn't sign I wouldn't be terribly concerned personally. With the extra money available in that scenario AA ought to be able to get two guys with pretty high ceilings with those two first rounders.

You also have to wonder who we'd possibly be going after who would have compensation attached anyway. If you consider a pursuit of Harper unrealistic (I do FWIW) and Machado gets dealt, the only likely candidate for AA to spend loads of cash on would be Donaldson - and if he gets healthy in the next 2-3 weeks Toronto will try hard to deal him as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Early reviews indicate that it will be a draft class loaded with college impact hitters.
    don’t sign, carter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It just looks bad for AA to not sign a top 10 talent in his first year on the job. The kid is 18 so a wrist problem shouldn't keep him from signing him. Hopefully one of them blinks and this gets done.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It just looks bad for AA to not sign a top 10 talent in his first year on the job. The kid is 18 so a wrist problem shouldn't keep him from signing him. Hopefully one of them blinks and this gets done.
    It's not Coppolella-level bad, but it's a PR hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    My concern is that this is becoming a pattern for Anthopoulos if Stewart doesn't sign. In the last six drafts he has been a GM for a team, there have been FOUR times that he has drafted a HS arm in the top two rounds and didn't sign them. Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford, Brady Singer, Carter Stewart.

That's rare for most teams, but it happens to his teams a lot. I don't know what the reason is or isn't -- and I honestly don't care -- that's extremely concerning.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-06-2018), Southcack77 (07-06-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    My concern is that this is becoming a pattern for Anthopoulos if Stewart doesn't sign. In the last six drafts he has been a GM for a team, there have been FOUR times that he has drafted a HS arm in the top two rounds and didn't sign them. Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford, Brady Singer, Carter Stewart.

That's rare for most teams, but it happens to his teams a lot. I don't know what the reason is or isn't -- and I honestly don't care -- that's extremely concerning.
    Not a good pattern.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

Agreed. And I read the Braves have only once (1995) not sign their 1st round pick since 1965.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Some clarification on the rules if a drafted player is not signed (bold underline is my emphasis):

'A club must offer a drafted player at least 40% of the slot value in order to be eligible to receive a compensation draft pick if the player does not sign. EXCEPTION: A club is not required to offer a drafted player at least 40% of the slot value in order to be eligible to receive a compensation draft pick if the player does not sign if the drafted player is one of the Top 50 pitchers designated by the MLB Commissioner's office prior to the draft and the pitcher declined to submit an MRI.'

'If a player selected with a draft pick awarded as the result of a club losing a Qualified Player does not sign, the club receives a compensation selection in the next Rule 4 Draft, one slot lower than where the club selected the previous season. There is no further compensation if a player selected with that compensation draft pick does not sign.'

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Some clarification on the rules if a drafted player is not signed (bold underline is my emphasis):

'A club must offer a drafted player at least 40% of the slot value in order to be eligible to receive a compensation draft pick if the player does not sign. EXCEPTION: A club is not required to offer a drafted player at least 40% of the slot value in order to be eligible to receive a compensation draft pick if the player does not sign if the drafted player is one of the Top 50 pitchers designated by the MLB Commissioner's office prior to the draft and the pitcher declined to submit an MRI.'

'If a player selected with a draft pick awarded as the result of a club losing a Qualified Player does not sign, the club receives a compensation selection in the next Rule 4 Draft, one slot lower than where the club selected the previous season. There is no further compensation if a player selected with that compensation draft pick does not sign.'
    I would assume that Carter was one of the Top 50 pitchers in the draft and that he declined to submit an MRI if there is a problem that has suddenly popped up in the post-draft physical. If he did submit an MRI, then it seems the Braves would only have to offer $2M to qualify for the compensation Pick #9 next year, correct?

Also, the Braves will have no leverage next year with the #9 pick. Gotta sign 'em or lose the pick altogether. I would think that is going to play into the Braves consideration on subsequent picks if they have to potentially pay an extra premium to the 9 pick.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post

That last line gives next year's pick a whole lot of leverage, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    That last line gives next year's pick a whole lot of leverage, no?
    I do not think leverage is that big of a deal. I think these guys all have unofficial advisers. If the adviser goes against the pre-draft word on the pick then that will hurt them with future clients.

The issue here is we agreed to pay X and now the Braves want to pay X - Y due to an injury concern.

I think I would bet that the player we pick with that spot is a position player b/c we would have a lot less injury risk and therefore less risk in asking for money off of the agreed amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Jim Callis:

Sources indicate @Braves are offering a lot closer to the 40% threshold than to pick value. Carter Stewart indeed could wind up at @HailStateBB, where he would join @Dodgers 1st-rder J.T. Ginn in an outstanding recruiting class. @MLBDraft