Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    This may end up looking like a foolish take, in hindsight, but I still don’t see what’s so special or enthralling about Beck. For talent/round, he seems like a decent pick; but if he ends up costing significantly over slot, I think it starts to look substantially worse.
    It's just that every scouting service had a late first/early second grade on him and he slipped to the fourth round.

Not sure how paying him more money really changes anything.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's just that every scouting service had a late first/early second grade on him and he slipped to the fourth round.

I would’ve liked for the Braves to grab a higher-upside guy in the fourth if he’s going to necessitate an over-slot bonus; conversely, if they’re going to pick a lower-ceiling/higher-floor pitchability righty in that range, I would’ve liked that guy to be underslot (or at least slot), to facilitate some lofty-ceiling overslot gambles in subsequent rounds.

But I also prefaced with a caveat that my protestations may very well look stupid, should Beck live up to those late-first projections from many publications; but from what I’ve read about his arsenal and profile, I just don’t see why he was projected thus.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-13-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I think the question is were all these scouting services high on him because of his reputation over his tools. None of us really knows if that's true, but it would seem if he had that high a grade on him, someone else would have given themselves the resource space to draft him before the 4th round.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The reports on Beck are that he was very impressive early in the past season but his stuff took a step back as the season wore on. Sometimes when a player is coming back from a long layoff he isn't conditioned to last through a full season. It could be the Braves drafted him off of what he showed in those early season games.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-14-2018), jpx7 (06-13-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I would’ve liked for the Braves to grab a higher-upside guy in the fourth if he’s going to necessitate an over-slot bonus; conversely, if they’re going to pick a lower-ceiling/higher-floor pitchability righty in that range, I would’ve liked that guy to be underslot (or at least slot), to facilitate some lofty-ceiling overslot gambles in subsequent rounds.

But I also prefaced with a caveat that my protestations may very well look stupid, should Beck live up to those late-first projections from many publications; but from what I’ve read about his arsenal and profile, I just don’t see why he was projected thus.
    Not that he's likely to make anyone look stupid - but it could be that Beck fit as one of the few high school arms they felt like they just might be able to fit under their cap since he may sign for a much less-exorbitant number than the other available choices. It's probably more likely that they saw enough upside there to hope they could unlock something if they bring him along slowly (like Tarnok if the actual plan is to eventually turn him into a starter). Given the rapid pace most of the arms ahead of him are developing and the amateur penalties yet to come, it's probably not such a bad idea to scoop up a couple kids that fall in the next couple drafts that they expect to need to take their time with since they're not going to have many of those types coming from the international side like in the recent past.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the question is were all these scouting services high on him because of his reputation over his tools. None of us really knows if that's true, but it would seem if he had that high a grade on him, someone else would have given themselves the resource space to draft him before the 4th round.

The way the Braves and Braves bloggers frame things sometimes is counter-productive.

If you don't worry about whether the pick was a great amazing coup in the fourth round, it looks like a solid fourth round pick.

He's a college sign that has been real solid in two Pac 12 seasons. He commands four pitches and sits 91-93 with maybe a few ticks more when he's going right. You can dream on a more upside based on his sitting out the year for injury if you want or you can just hope he does hone the pitches he has and makes a living with them.

Getting a back end rotation piece in the 4th round isn't bad.

He might well end up being Drew Harrington, but its not unreasonable to take guys like Drew Harrington here if you really like them. The Braves seem to really like this kid's personality and approach. They've tried to draft him three times.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    7th round pick Brooks Wilson from Stetson won the John Olerud Award, given to the best two-way player in college baseball. Looks like he’ll be reliever only once he signs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Also, Shanks interviewed Brian Bridges on Monday. Bridges said the Stewart signing should be done “in the next week” so hopefully it happens in the next couple days.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Also, Shanks interviewed Brian Bridges on Monday. Bridges said the Stewart signing should be done “in the next week” so hopefully it happens in the next couple days.
    Kelenic signs for $4.5 million - hopefully helps with that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Kelenic signs for $4.5 million - hopefully helps with that.
    Seems like all the 1st rd pks are signing underslot deals. Hopefully Stewart follows suit.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Seems like all the 1st rd pks are signing underslot deals. Hopefully Stewart follows suit.
    I'm very curious as to how much of the Round 1 through 10 pool is spent and how much spills over to the guys selected after Round 10. I have to think that Higgenbotham and Kingham are getting more than $100,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Jonathan Mayo:

7th-rder Brooks Wilson signs w/@Braves for $80K (pick 202 value = $219.1K). Stetson closer up to 94 mph w/FB, good split and avg CB. 2-way guy in college, future bullpen arm @MLBDraft

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-15-2018), clvclv (06-15-2018), jpx7 (06-16-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm very curious as to how much of the Round 1 through 10 pool is spent and how much spills over to the guys selected after Round 10. I have to think that Higgenbotham and Kingham are getting more than $100,000.
    The Wilson underslot deal should take care of any concerns about covering our Round 1-10 picks at the VERY least - now have $6,708,165 left (including 5% overage) following the Jenista, Riley, Moritz, and Wilson reports.

If any of those other guys are below slot as well (Graffanino and Langhorne perhaps?) there should be plenty left to land Higginbotham, Kingham, AND (fingers crossed) Vodnik.

If Stewart happened to sign for around $1 million under, you start to wonder if they may just have enough to keep Hess from going back to LSU.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-15-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    The Wilson underslot deal should take care of any concerns about covering our Round 1-10 picks at the VERY least - now have $6,708,165 left (including 5% overage) following the Jenista, Riley, Moritz, and Wilson reports.

If any of those other guys are below slot as well (Graffanino and Langhorne perhaps?) there should be plenty left to land Higginbotham, Kingham, AND (fingers crossed) Vodnik.

If Stewart happened to sign for around $1 million under, you start to wonder if they may just have enough to keep Hess from going back to LSU.
    My guess is Langhorne is going to come in below $50,000, perhaps even less than $20,000. That would free up some space as well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-16-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pipeline reporting Higginbotham's bonus to be $125,000.

Nothing that appears worrisome at this point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pipeline reporting Higginbotham's bonus to be $125,000.

Nothing that appears worrisome at this point.
    Justin Dean and Zach Daniels at $125,000 each as well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    125k is the number that I believe you can go up to after round 10 without adding anything to your bonus pool. I used to think it was 100k, but I think I read the rules the other day and its actually 125.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Joey Bart just sign for less than slot. Hopefully this is a good sign for Stewart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    13th-rder Brendan Venter signs w/@Braves for $125k. Auburn 1B/3B, 12 HR & .905 OPS this spring, power is his best tool. @MLBDraft

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Joey Bart just sign for less than slot. Hopefully this is a good sign for Stewart.
    This is correct, however... he signed for the most upfront bonus a position player has ever gotten in Mlb history.