Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fangraphs Top 131 Prospects

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    im sad the new hot shot draft pick can't even get ahead of max fried on this list.
    don't be

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So, if you are AA....you have to have a trade list and a keep list. Anyone want to take a shot?
    I'm excluding our recent draftees from the discussion

First, I'm not trading for anyone who doesn't fit 1 of 2 criteria:
    1. Is controllable for 3+ years
    2. Is really cheap (specifically for rentals)

The guys who I wouldn't trade under reasonable circumstances would be Soroka, Touki, Wright, Gohara, Acuna, Pache, and Riley. Those seven I would keep in almost every circumstance, at least this year. Next year could be a different story.

The guys I would be willing to deal under the right circumstance would be Allard, Anderson, Fried, Wentz, Wilson, Waters, Contreras (reluctantly), Muller, Cumberland (I guess lol), and a few other guys in the lower levels who might have a smidge of value. I feel like you could put a solid trade together with this list if you absolutely had to or some crazy opportunity dropped at our feet.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Wentz on the trade list? Touki on the keep list? hmm
    I agree with that 100%. Wentz is a nice pitching prospect who has had better results most of the time than Touki, but anyone who has seen Touki pitch knows that he has the stuff to be a nightmare for other teams. We also forget that he is still very young for his level and has improved every year since we have had him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2018)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Wisler, Sims types are a given.

I think Allard would be a guy I would be willing to move and maybe Wright IF a player was available I really loved.

I would be scared to deal Touki...man he could be special.

We don’t need to trade ANY position players...skinny enough as is. We won’t be as lucky as we were with Acuna and Ozzie.
    i could easily see touki being sent out in a trade. just for the reason you mentioned above.
    realistically, what do you really expect to get for sims, wisler, fried, etc? touki is exactly the sexy hype guy that still carries around a great ranking without consistent results.
    these are the guys i totally want trade. maybe he'll be great, maybe not, but at least he's valuable. move him on and keep guys who are performing consistently all the way up like soroka has.

i mean, don't trade him for scraps, but if you're making a package for a real big leaguer, i'm starting there. if i can trade guys that still have tons of questions for great value this deep into his minor league career, it's something i'd have to consider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    the other thing about touki is he could be 28 before he finally gets it. does that timeline fit where the braves hope to be in the next few years?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    the other thing about touki is he could be 28 before he finally gets it. does that timeline fit where the braves hope to be in the next few years?
    For most pitchers....no. For a guy with Touki’s ceiling....yes. You hold on to a guy like that until the bitter end. Worth the gamble.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Dude Touki is a 21 year old in AA that has a 3.36 ERA and is striking out over 11 hitters per 9. I don't know where you are getting the idea that it will be 7 more years before we know if Touki makes it or not, but I would bet my left testiclite that he will have busted or be on an MLB roster within 3 years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    i could easily see touki being sent out in a trade. just for the reason you mentioned above.
    realistically, what do you really expect to get for sims, wisler, fried, etc?
    I think realistically if we offered Fried and Wisler, we would be able to get a rental like Moose or Beltre. I would not include Touki in that kind of trade.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Another thing with Touki is that he has a true fall back option as a reliever. He could be absolutely dominant in that role and he could get to the MLB much quicker if we decided to take that route. But his ceiling is so high as a starter we have decided to be patient with him (as patient as you can be for a 21 year old in AA).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Dude Touki is a 21 year old in AA that has a 3.36 ERA and is striking out over 11 hitters per 9. I don't know where you are getting the idea that it will be 7 more years before we know if Touki makes it or not, but I would bet my left testiclite that he will have busted or be on an MLB roster within 3 years.
    Oh yeah...and Touki can hit also. He’s just special. I think he makes it as a reliever no matter what. Stuff is just too good.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    My “untouchable list” Acuna and Soroka.

Unlikely to trade mainly due to not extracting value from stock being down: Wright and Gohara.

Unlikely to trade due to age and rising potential/status and not maximizing value: Waters and Stewart.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The funny thing is at 21 in AA...he has pitched good. Not lights out, but definitely not bad.

To hear people talk about him...you would think he has a 6 + ERA and is getting tourched but has “potential”. He could be called to the big leafs right now and probably do decent.

He has done well enough to be moved to AAA this year or definitely by next year. That puts him making the big leagues by age 23, which is completely a normal schedule for a prospect.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think realistically if we offered Fried and Wisler, we would be able to get a rental like Moose or Beltre. I would not include Touki in that kind of trade.
    i absolutely wouldn't give away touki for scraps or rentals, especially when a rental isn't going to be enough. moves like that have quietly crushed the braves for years. rick ankiel should have only been allowed to become a brave if the cardinals paid the braves to take him. instead the braves just casually tossed away tim collins and gregor blanco like it was nothing to get him. it feels like we suffered through a bunch of those over the years. i'm only advocating trading pieces like touki for real prizes.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    i absolutely wouldn't give away touki for scraps or rentals, especially when a rental isn't going to be enough. moves like that have quietly crushed the braves for years. rick ankiel should have only been allowed to become a brave if the cardinals paid the braves to take him. instead the braves just casually tossed away tim collins and gregor blanco like it was nothing to get him. it feels like we suffered through a bunch of those over the years. i'm only advocating trading pieces like touki for real prizes.
    Sure, if it was a real prize you are also giving away probably two other of your top ten. That puts Touki as a sweetener....which means it better be someone like Sale.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    The funny thing is at 21 in AA...he has pitched good. Not lights out, but definitely not bad.

To hear people talk about him...you would think he has a 6 + ERA and is getting tourched but has “potential”. He could be called to the big leafs right now and probably do decent.

He has done well enough to be moved to AAA this year or definitely by next year. That puts him making the big leagues by age 23, which is completely a normal schedule for a prospect.
    Touki has prospect fatigue. That's really all there is to it. He's 8 months younger than Wright. If Touki went to college, we drafted him last year, and he went on to do what he's doing now everyone would be all over him as an untouchable.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-11-2018), jpx7 (06-11-2018), Super (06-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Another thing with Touki is that he has a true fall back option as a reliever. He could be absolutely dominant in that role and he could get to the MLB much quicker if we decided to take that route. But his ceiling is so high as a starter we have decided to be patient with him (as patient as you can be for a 21 year old in AA).

lucas sims is on the braves roster. you've said nothing particularly noteworthy here.
    anyway, the hype on a prospect barely cracking top 100 lists proves my point that trading him could be a valuable move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Touki has prospect fatigue. That's really all there is to it. He's 8 months younger than Wright. If Touki went to college, we drafted him last year, and he went on to do what he's doing now everyone would be all over him as an untouchable.
    well not really. is anybody claiming wright should be untouchable? ok then.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    lucas sims is on the braves roster. you've said nothing particularly noteworthy here.
    anyway, the hype on a prospect barely cracking top 100 lists proves my point that trading him could be a valuable move.
    I don’t think I would put Sims and Touki in the same boat lol. Sims needs to be moved yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Sure, if it was a real prize you are also giving away probably two other of your top ten. That puts Touki as a sweetener....which means it better be someone like Sale.
    i'm not sure why when suggesting that touki be available for trade folks assume i'm suggest he be traded for Alex ****ing Jackson or Rick Ankiel or some nonsense like that.
    I am suggesting that Touki could really demand a nice return and given his inconsistent nature as a pitcher over his young career, it's not nuts to think it could take time for him to put it all together.

Meanwhile the Braves are entering a window to compete that should be there for how long? Who knows, but if Touki can help land you RAndy Johnson next year as you push to win the World Series, then yeah.

It's not "prospect fatigue". lol

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    well not really. is anybody claiming wright should be untouchable? ok then.
    Wright is different in the fact he holds more value than Touki. I would move him for the right peice because of his high status. There is value in that.

Touki doesn’t hold the same value, so you would not have the same purchasing power in a trade. It would end up being a bargain for someone most likely.

Does that make sense?

If he puts it together, then he is untouchable, if he doesn’t then he is undervalued.

Wright probably isn’t moved at this point because he has underperformed which hurts his value a little also. Either way he is ranked much higher and would get a better return. Even though Touki has performed better.

So the fact Touki is untouchable comes from the fact that you will never get the value he is worth in a trade. So....he isn’t a guy you move.