Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fangraphs Top 131 Prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

Third Base: Trade for a rental like Moose?....maybe....what’s the price?? Sign Machado to a ten year deal for 30 +mil a year and loose a draft pick? I can’t see us doing that when we have Riley close...no matter if we trade for a rental or not.
    I think there is an alternative to either going expensive (Machado) or going with a three-month rental (Moose, Beltre) at third.

And the alternative is an established player with contractual control for another year or two. Guys like Solarte, Frazier and Castellanos are who I have in mind. I think we should be asking about these guys and seeing if we can trade for them without giving up any prospects on our "keeper" list.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Relief - This is where we can churn up some of our farm depth to add bullpen help. We might sign a guy and trade for a guy. A few key additions would take this bullpen from good to great. Some like paying Kimbrel (who I love), but loosing a draft pick and paying an older pitcher doesn’t seem to smart unless it’s a home town discount...which won’t happen. Between the farm guys coming up next year, a smart mid range signing and a trade ...bullpen arms should be covered without spending a ton of money or trade capitol.
    At the moment I think we will go for a left-handed reliever at the deadline. Could change if our righties start to struggle, but I see more of a need for a lefty. Sam Freeman has been a bit shaky of late. Biddle is a reverse split guy. Minter is part of our late inning crew. So there is a need for a situational lefty. Someone like our old friend Luis Avilan or Alex Claudio of the Rangers. Neither will cost much in the way of prospects.

Also with four right-handed starters and 1 lefty in the rotation, you have more situations in the middle innings where you want to bring in a lefty to finish an inning where the starter is struggling. On the right side we have Carle and Moylan in this role. On the left side just Freeman, which is why he is leading our pen in innings pitched.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think there is an alternative to either going expensive (Machado) or going with a three-month rental (Moose, Beltre) at third.

And the alternative is an established player with contractual control for another year or two. Guys like Solarte, Frazier and Castellanos are who I have in mind. I think we should be asking about these guys and seeing if we can trade for them without giving up any prospects on our "keeper" list.
    I'd actually prefer a rental. None of those guys seem like answers, and we have Riley knocking on the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'd actually prefer a rental. None of those guys seem like answers, and we have Riley knocking on the door.
    I prefer a solid vet as a bridge to Riley. I'm not convinced Riley should be penciled in as our third baseman in 2019. In 2020 ok. I also think our bench is in need of upgrading and one way to do that is acquire someone like Solarte/Frazier/Castellanos which would bump Camargo to a utility role.

Btw I am not opposed to a rental. It all depends on the price. But if we shop in more than one aisle, there is a better chance of getting a bargain.

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

The Braves will probably be in the market for Riley insurance at 3B this coming off season, so acquiring a guy like Frazier at the deadline would make sense. Frazier adds the RHed presence to the lineup this year at the expense of not being an obvious platoon partner with Riley next year.

Solarte makes sense as a bit of a platoon partner with Riley next year at the expense of RHed firepower this year.

Castellanos is so bad at 3B I don't consider him a realistic option at all.

If the Braves are going the route of a longer term solution at 3B, I would definitely lean towards Frazier. Any versatility Solarte provides is already provided by Camargo. Frazier is a clear upgrade now, is a clear everyday option for 2019 "just in case", and would pair nicely off the bench with Tucker in the event Riley forces his way to Atlanta in the middle of 2019.

I really wanted the Braves to sign Frazier this offseason...his addition would allow the Braves to move Markakis to the top of lineup where he belongs.

Freese and his $6M option for 2019 is another unspectacular but solid option as well...another guy I've wanted the Braves to grab the last couple years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-12-2018 at 11:29 AM.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Week before last, I went on a trip to all 5 MLB parks in California. In particular, Brad Hand is very good. And I wonder what it would take to acquire Matt Chapman of the A's. I spoke to a couple of fans (almost the entire stadium as there weren't many). They seemed to think that he's the best 3B outside of Colorado. Many years of control left. What about Riley plus 1 high and 2 lower prospects for him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    Week before last, I went on a trip to all 5 MLB parks in California. In particular, Brad Hand is very good. And I wonder what it would take to acquire Matt Chapman of the A's. I spoke to a couple of fans (almost the entire stadium as there weren't many). They seemed to think that he's the best 3B outside of Colorado. Many years of control left. What about Riley plus 1 high and 2 lower prospects for him?
    The As will not be trading Chapman for another 2-3 years.

At that point they will probably unload him for a prospect package where they over value MLB-readiness and quantity over quality...just like how AA stole Donaldson from them in 2015.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    Chapman is a very good player.

But I think the strategic plan is to go after guys on contracts with little expected surplus value and not many years left on those contracts. This limits the costs in terms of prospects and also allows us to use the payroll that becomes available next year without having a big long-term financial commitment.

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    At this particular deadline, I think it's more about making an addition than who that addition actually is. If the Braves are above .500 at the end of July, they need to make an addition. The Braves are in a position where it's probably wise to sacrifice a minimal amount of future wins to put a stamp on the rebuild and declare their intentions to compete.

Since that addition will be for optics more so than anything else (unless they splurge for Machado), getting a bargain is paramount.

Luckily, the most logical places to make that addition (3B and BP) are also the areas where bargains should be available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    yes...the optics will dictate the team making one or two moves

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i really, really hope the FO doesn't think riley is the answer for next season. the chances he'll be ready and actually good by next year can't be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i really, really hope the FO doesn't think riley is the answer for next season. the chances he'll be ready and actually good by next year can't be great.
    the general rule should be conservatism when it comes to projected roles by prospects

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    the general rule should be conservatism when it comes to projected role by prospects
    It's why they are excellent things to trade for things of proven value at positions that you can upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's why they are excellent things to trade for things of proven value at positions that you can upgrade.
    Especially when you have a market situation that might allow us to pick up a third baseman and a left-handed reliever without trading any prospects on our "keepers" list.

To be specific:

1) Wisler for Avilan

2) Muller plus Cumberland for Solarte

Keep in mind the Blue Jays acquired Solarte for Jared Carcuff and Edward Olivares at the start of the season (neither of them is much of a prospect). Muller and Cumberland are a better package.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-12-2018 at 12:50 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Especially when you have a market situation that might allow us to pick up a third baseman and a left-handed reliever without trading any prospects on our "keepers" list.

To be specific:

1) Wisler for Avilan

Keep in mind the Blue Jays acquired Solarte for Jared Carcuff and Edward Olivares at the start of the season. Muller and Cumberland are a better package.
    those are totally rational pickups for a team that isn't really a world series contender or for the bench of a team that is. If other teams are willing to give them up for things of no perceived value that's especially nice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

To be specific:

1) Wisler for Avilan

Keep in mind the Blue Jays acquired Solarte for Jared Carcuff and Edward Olivares at the start of the season (neither of them is much of a prospect). Muller and Cumberland are a better package.
    though, I think you are overpaying for both arguably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    though, I think you are overpaying for both arguably.
    I agree. But realistically at the deadline you have to assume some contenders premium. I think you could substitute Demeritte for any of the three Braves players I mentioned and still get both deals done.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Is Solarte even better than Camargo..? Or enough of an upgrade to give up those guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Is Solarte even better than Camargo..? Or enough of an upgrade to give up those guys?
    I'm not claiming he is an upgrade. I think he grades out similar to Camargo. What we are upgrading is team depth. I think our bench is weak. Once you go past the trade deadline it becomes difficult to acquire cover for injuries, slumps, etc. If it looks like we are playing meaningful games in September and possibly October, we want to make sure we have a full deck. Which means you want to have someone other than Jackson/Sokolovich taking up that last spot in the pen and you want a better backup infielder than Flaherty on the bench.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-12-2018 at 01:48 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Not really relevant imo. At the very least he provides great depth in case of injury and allows us to part ways with Flaherty who has been rather useless since the end of April.