Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Fangraphs Top 131 Prospects

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Which means you want to have someone other than Jackson/Sokolovich taking up that last spot in the pen and you want a better backup infielder than Flaherty on the bench.
    speak for yourself

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    speak for yourself
    Solarte is probably better than Camargo and Flaherty.

If you aren't sure about his being better than Camargo, I would question making the deal for the listed price however.

While Cumberland is not well regarded around here, he was recently added to a top 100 list. I'm still very surprised and looking forward to the explanation.

If that is accurate, some calculations of his surplus value would make him considerably more valuable than Solarte -- particularly a Solarte maybe getting a start a week and some pinch hitting duties.

In fact, if Cumberland really is a legitimate catching prospect, that makes him one of the few legitimate candidates within a couple of years of the majors in the Braves system. That's a big give.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Solarte is probably better than Camargo and Flaherty.

If you aren't sure about his being better than Camargo, I would question making the deal for the listed price however.

While Cumberland is not well regarded around here, he was recently added to a top 100 list. I'm still very surprised and looking forward to the explanation.

If that is accurate, some calculations of his surplus value would make him considerably more valuable than Solarte -- particularly a Solarte maybe getting a start a week and some pinch hitting duties.

In fact, if Cumberland really is a legitimate catching prospect, that makes him one of the few legitimate candidates within a couple of years of the majors in the Braves system. That's a big give.
    i was being facetious with my last comment. i see the logic in getting solarte for depth purposes.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Teddy
    11:57 Hey Kiley, can you expand on the Brett Cumberland just to the top 100? Is it about the defense taking a step forward? The offense doesn't look very impressive this year on paper.
    Kiley McDaniel
    11:59 It's a 120 wRC+ in basically a full year in Hi-A at age 21/22 with plus raw power, a late-count, lofted power approach and the frame/defense have improved this year. He was also in the top of the 45 tier, so he was around 150-200 already and like 20 guys graduated, so he would've been right around 130-150 if he hadn't improved at all.

Mike
    12:00 Do you like Cumberland over Contreras as the Braves' catcher of the future?
    Kiley McDaniel
    12:01 We have Cumberland ranked higher but they aren't the same sort of guy. Cumberland is more of a catches for 4-6 years then probably ends up more like an offensive backup that you DH or find a spot for in the lineup. Contreras has a chance to be the bell cow everyday type, it's just early. Talked to a scout a few days ago who didn't love the approach/swing with Contreras but said he thought he could catch.
    12:02 I liked the approach/swing when I saw him last year, but these things shift around early in careers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), Tapate50 (06-13-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    12:24
    Paul: Big jump for Drew Waters. Is he a .280 guy with 25 homers? And he can stick in center?

12:25
    Kiley McDaniel: Chance for 55 hit/power, Avg D in CF, plus run/throw. The tools aren’t far from Kelenic. Tools were the same at the draft last year, but seems like everyone got fooled by the summer numbers. I think Kelenic is a better bet to hit, but not by a huge margin.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-13-2018), jpx7 (06-13-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), Tapate50 (06-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    12:24
    Paul: Big jump for Drew Waters. Is he a .280 guy with 25 homers? And he can stick in center?

12:25
    Kiley McDaniel: Chance for 55 hit/power, Avg D in CF, plus run/throw. The tools aren’t far from Kelenic. Tools were the same at the draft last year, but seems like everyone got fooled by the summer numbers. I think Kelenic is a better bet to hit, but not by a huge margin.
    Thank god for .... whichever Braves GM had no part in drafting Waters.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not really relevant imo. At the very least he provides great depth in case of injury and allows us to part ways with Flaherty who has been rather useless since the end of April.
    except for he's the brother in law of markakis. there's a human aspect to building a team that so many don't get.

like when they had that kid skip his AA all star start a few years ago only to never be heard from again. at some point there's a human aspect that WAR can't measure.
    for example, all of you suggesting the braves drop the brother in law of the team's arguable MVP midseason don't get it. at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    except for he's the brother in law of markakis. there's a human aspect to building a team that so many don't get.

like when they had that kid skip his AA all star start a few years ago only to never be heard from again. at some point there's a human aspect that WAR can't measure.
    for example, all of you suggesting the braves drop the brother in law of the team's arguable MVP midseason don't get it. at all.
    lol what? flaherty was added like 3 minutes before the season started. and he stinks. i'm sure nick understands that part of baseball well.
    nick also isn't close to freddie as far as MVP goes.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

He’s Freeman’s brother-in-law, too?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-13-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

LOL

Last edited by Enscheff; 06-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    why am i not shocked that people who only see numbers would not understand.

you don't know sisters huh? markakis is having a career year and you'd **** with that for a piece that wouldn't really change much anyway? whatever buddy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

you don't know sisters huh? markakis is having a career year and you'd **** with that for a piece that wouldn't really change much anyway? whatever buddy.
    you honestly think he braves signing flaherty right before the season began has had even the tiniest impact on markakis?
    what about when flaherty got benched? that didn't affect him at all?
    come on man..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Also, the point stands, regardless of who is whose sister: Freeman has been the Braves’ MVP, and it isn’t really arguable.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    lol what? flaherty was added like 3 minutes before the season started. and he stinks. i'm sure nick understands that part of baseball well.
    when i say arguable and you start nitpickig about freeman being MVP, it's clear you don't really have a point but just want to be difficult.

flaherty hasn't played in a month. what are you really going to give up for what will be better than what you have as the last bench spot? and if it impacts markasis at all it isnt worth it considering again just how little that last roster spot is used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Also, the point stands, regardless of who is whose sister: Freeman has been the Braves’ MVP, and it isn’t really arguable.

ok but that's not the point one bit of this thread so im just led to believe you aren't capable of actually participating in a useful manner and should step away.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    you honestly think he braves signing flaherty right before the season began has had even the tiniest impact on markakis?
    what about when flaherty got benched? that didn't affect him at all?
    come on man..
    LOL...

Do we have a new dumbest poster?

I may have to remove him from ignore just for the comedy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    and if you're trading away the future for an insurance piece to sit on the end of the bench, you're probably making a mistake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL...

Do we have a new dumbest poster?

I may have to remove him from ignore just for the comedy!!

have you ever played a team sport beyond t ball? serious question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    markakis is also having the best year of his life.

good lord people...the game isn't just played on fangraphs.com

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    markakis is also having the best year of his life.

good lord people...the game isn't just played on fangraphs.com
    i agree with that.
    that doesn't mean it has a thing to do with ryan flaherty who, again, wasn't even on the team until right before the season. flaherty is responsible for exactly 0% of markakis' success.