Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brother-in-Law Effect

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

The Brother-in-Law Effect

We have a generational mind among us here at Chop Country. This poster has unraveled the mystery of Nick Markskis' success in 2018. I'll quote his words to explain this phenomenon he uncovered:

Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    except for he's (Flaherty) the brother in law of markakis. there's a human aspect to building a team that so many don't get.

like when they had that kid skip his AA all star start a few years ago only to never be heard from again. at some point there's a human aspect that WAR can't measure.
    for example, all of you suggesting the braves drop the brother in law of the team's arguable MVP midseason don't get it. at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    why am i not shocked that people who only see numbers would not understand.

you don't know sisters huh? markakis is having a career year and you'd **** with that for a piece that wouldn't really change much anyway? whatever buddy.
    For those who like to read actual English, the theory posited is:

Flaherty is married to the sister of Mrs. Markakis. Those two guys being on the same team has made Markakis so happy he is now having a career year at the age of 34. Not only are they obviously chummy friends (who doesn't LOVE their in-laws?), a happy Mr. Flaherty leads to happy Mrs. Flaherty, which leads to happy Mrs. Markakis, which leads to a VERY happy Mr. Markakis, which leads to a productive Markakis, which leads to the Braves winning games, which leads to us (the fans) being happy.

Therefore, the theory is that a happy Ryan Flaherty ultimately leads to happiness for us! Why would we want to mess with that by getting rid of Flaherty?? Only an idiot would mess with that!!

It may be tempting to laugh at this profound revelation, as folks usually do when new revolutionary ideas are first presented, but then I dug into it. I present to you all proof that the Brother-in-Law Effect (BiLE) is, in fact, real!!

Behold the 15 game rolling wOBA for Markakis, divided into pertinent sections:

Section 1: The end of last season when Markakis sucked. A change was desperately needed!
    Section 2: That change came in the form of AA using the BiLE, and getting Flaherty on the roster. Markakis started playing better!
    Section 3: When Bautista was acquired, Flaherty's PAs went down, he got sad, and Markakis started to suck again.
    Section 4: Bautista released! Flaherty gets PAs! Flaherty happy! Markakis has his best 15 game stretch as a Brave!!
    Section 5: Camargo comes back. Flaherty's PAs dry up. Flaherty gets sad. Markakis starts to suck again.

It is beyond obvious the key to getting career-best production from Markakis is to give Flaherty PAs.

It makes too much sense not to happen!!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-13-2018 at 05:27 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-13-2018), AerchAngel (06-13-2018), bravesfanMatt (06-13-2018), cajunrevenge (06-14-2018), Carp (03-30-2019), chopdrew (06-14-2018), CyYoung31 (06-14-2018), Dalyn (06-14-2018), JohnAdcox (06-15-2018), jpx7 (06-13-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), Ozzie Swanson (06-14-2018), Prikichi (06-14-2018), The Chosen One (06-14-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    This is awesome. But man you have too much time on your hands right now. Go cut the grass damnit.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    It was really worth it to create a new post and write paragraphs worth of material just to call out another poster YET AGAIN and make yourself look better YET AGAIN????

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-13-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    It was really worth it to create a new post and write paragraphs worth of material just to call out another poster YET AGAIN and make yourself look better YET AGAIN????
    I feel after studying the graph, that in fact, the other poster might be on to something. This is just great ground breaking research to support the observation that was extremely brilliant.

but why does this bother you really...
    Coppy

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), The Chosen One (06-14-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Well, he could have just said "I respectfully disagree, and I think the numbers back me up..." but what fun would that be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Well, he could have just said "I respectfully disagree, and I think the numbers back me up..." but what fun would that be?
    he can't say that cuz the numbers back up the BiLE
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), The Chosen One (06-14-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I’m disappointed you didn’t compare it with the SCOPE (Second Cousin’s Other Position Effect).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-14-2018), Tapate50 (06-13-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he can't say that cuz the numbers back up the BiLE
    That’s what differentiates this post from those others abovementioned: the numbers actually appear to back up the brother-in-law thesis, so I think it is worth presenting.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), Tapate50 (06-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Lolololololol this is so amazing

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Lolololololol this is so amazing
    Good ole Bile.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-13-2018), nsacpi (06-13-2018), The Chosen One (06-14-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I actually think this is one of the most inventive and humorous entries I've ever seen posted here. I don't see this as a direct shot at chipchildress.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    BiLE should be a bumper sticker or on a t-shirt

the acronym alone is gold

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-14-2018), gcbraves (06-14-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I actually think this is one of the most inventive and humorous entries I've ever seen posted here. I don't see this as a direct shot at chipchildress.
    You may think it's inventive and funny - but this is the definition of a direct shot.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Tough day finding one of your regulars to drag into something ridiculous so you had to find a new target?

Go on back to the basement and don't forget your Cheetos - I promise we won't let the mean kids interrupt and torment you while you work on your groundbreaking work to prove the Heyward contract is completely justifiable.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Um this guy doesn't do anything with the intent of humor lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    it's possible to be funny without trying

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I think I had a sarcasm orgasm. Bravo to you sir, may your dreams be full of Andrelton Simmons defensive highlights.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    If being actual brothers on a team (Uptons) didn't work out, then I can't see how brothers-in-law would have any effect. It's also rather insulting to Markakis's professionalism to suggest that he hasn't been trying as hard as he could have in previous years because he didn't have the right friend on the team. Though on the other hand, I suppose similarly, I do believe that the chemistry of a team can have an impact on the success of a team.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Nah, Enscheff is legitimately hilarious sometimes in his back and forths with Gov.

I agree that this is basically a direct shot, but it’s hilarious enough that it’s okay. I would like a BE comparison with the Uptons and a SCOPE comparison with Marimon and Teheran but that’s a lot of work.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 06-14-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    If being actual brothers on a team (Uptons) didn't work out, then I can't see how brothers-in-law would have any effect. It's also rather insulting to Markakis's professionalism to suggest that he hasn't been trying as hard as he could have in previous years because he didn't have the right friend on the team. Though on the other hand, I suppose similarly, I do believe that the chemistry of a team can have an impact on the success of a team.
    Sibling Rivalry could have been the downfall for Uptons.

Flaherty's sister could be happier to see both her husband and brother contributing to same team. Happier Flaherty family by default means Happier Flaherty Sister. By default that potentially means a Happier Nick Markakis? Perhaps Enscheff's next quest is to figure out a way to quantify Mrs. Markakis' Sabermetric Production to Neck?

What if chipchildress is right that there are some things we can't quantify such as the chemistry balance of Nick and his BiLe playing together and pushing each other. Another Human Element in Baseball that you can't quantify.
    Forever Fredi

32. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post: