Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Machado or MooseTacos deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Machado or MooseTacos deal

I have a feeling that after this 14 game stretch that we are on, we could get more serious about making a deal to improve the club for a postseason run. By that point we are at the end of June and not too far from the halfway point of the season....if I am going to trade any talent, i'd rather get 3 or 4 months out of my guy rather than 2.....

My question is, between Machado and MooseTacos, which player would you go after more. And would you give up a Camargo in the deal to make it more enticing for the other team.

My thoughts are that in a Machado deal, I would definitely give up Camargo no questions asked. I'm not saying a deal centered around him gets the deal done, but if it saves me one of my better prospects then i'm all for it. It seems that the Braves don't see Camargo as more than a super utility player long term. And with Swanson, Albies, and Riley not far behind, there is no spot for him to be an everyday player.

If we do the MooseTacos deal, i'm more inclined to keep him, unless we are getting other players back as well, such as Herrera.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I agree that if we are going to be true contenders we are going to have to find another bat, even after Acuna returns. 3B is the spot that makes the most sense for an upgrade. I've been one of Camargo's biggest supporters over the years, but I think you're right that his ceiling is a top-drawer utility guy. What that nets is anyone's guess. Rental or not, I think the price on Machado is going to be very high (perhaps prohibitive) and I think the Orioles are going to want better long-term prospects over Camargo. Moustakas is a different story and I think a deal centered on Camargo could work although I think the deal would have to be expanded on both sides for it to work.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    This isn’t our year to go all-in on a machado and pay the surplus... We need deals containing players with multiple years remaining on their contracts.

A machado deal is more less another John Schuerholtz deal of pissing away trade chips. This is assuming we don’t resign him and he bounces to LA or NY

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I agree that if we are going to be true contenders we are going to have to find another bat, even after Acuna returns. 3B is the spot that makes the most sense for an upgrade. I've been one of Camargo's biggest supporters over the years, but I think you're right that his ceiling is a top-drawer utility guy. What that nets is anyone's guess. Rental or not, I think the price on Machado is going to be very high (perhaps prohibitive) and I think the Orioles are going to want better long-term prospects over Camargo. Moustakas is a different story and I think a deal centered on Camargo could work although I think the deal would have to be expanded on both sides for it to work.
    My thoughts too....I lean more towards a MooseTacos deal centered around him and Camargo....i'd want to pick up Herrera for the bullpen help along with him.... with both player almost a certain rental, I'd rather give up less prospect capital to get the deal done....if we can give up Camargo and 1 or 2 B/C prospects i'd be okay with that, we are pretty much out of room on the pitching side, so some of these guys are going to have to be moved.
    Get off my lawn!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    For a rental, you give away guys like Wisler, Peterson or maybe Fried. Definitely not your super utility guy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Camargo for Mous? No thanks. Deal from a position of depth, we have arms not super utility guys to spare. If you deal from anywhere it needs to be from the pitchers in AA and AAA or below.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-14-2018), JohnAdcox (06-14-2018), jpx7 (06-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    For a rental, you give away guys like Wisler, Peterson or maybe Fried. Definitely not your super utility guy.
    We have one in Culberson.....i'd rather trade him, but if im the O's or Royals i'd want Camargo

And I doubt that Wisler, Peterson, or Fried get you Machado or Moustakas/Herrera
    Get off my lawn!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Mouse...yes. Why would you give up what it would take to acquire Machado...knowing you likely won’t be able to sign him back. No thanks.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If we're going after Moose, might as well go for Herrera as well.

Kill two birds with one stone. I dont know what the package would be but thats what i would do if we make a move to go for a playoff spot.

I wouldnt pay what it cost for Machado knowing there's no chance he'd re-sign.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    1. I'm skeptical the price tag on Machado ends up being what people are suggesting it will be. Teams had the ability to trade for him this winter and balked at the price. With the 3B market flooded with possibilities and relatively few teams in need of 3B or SS help, I'm not sure that a bidding war ever erupts. If one does, it might be over teams trying to make a free agent impression.

After all, the price tag for All Star caliber rental hitters has been surprisingly light recently.

2. I'd trade Camargo for Machado just for the off chance he finds out that he is soul mates with Acuna and Albies. Without hesitation. I might do that even if Machado was out for the season so long as he hangs out in the dugout. I'm not sure I'm even joking at this point.

3. I'm super in the tank for taking a big gamble on Machado and don't care how impractical that is in free agency for the Braves. Don't pay attention to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Does Machado have a brother in law that we can sign?

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-14-2018), AerchAngel (06-14-2018), cajunrevenge (06-14-2018), Hudson2 (06-14-2018), JohnAdcox (06-14-2018), jpx7 (06-14-2018), nsacpi (06-14-2018), Tapate50 (06-14-2018), The Chosen One (06-14-2018), TURBO (06-14-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-14-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    1. I'm skeptical the price tag on Machado ends up being what people are suggesting it will be. Teams had the ability to trade for him this winter and balked at the price. With the 3B market flooded with possibilities and relatively few teams in need of 3B or SS help, I'm not sure that a bidding war ever erupts. If one does, it might be over teams trying to make a free agent impression.

After all, the price tag for All Star caliber rental hitters has been surprisingly light recently.

2. I'd trade Camargo for Machado just for the off chance he finds out that he is soul mates with Acuna and Albies. Without hesitation. I might do that even if Machado was out for the season so long as he hangs out in the dugout. I'm not sure I'm even joking at this point.

3. I'm super in the tank for taking a big gamble on Machado and don't care how impractical that is in free agency for the Braves. Don't pay attention to me.
    Yeah there was a story a month or so ago Baltimore might keep Machado because the offers wont be what they were this winter and there's other options out there (Beltre, Lowrie, and Moose to name a few, maybe Frazier if Mets blow it up)

He has value but i'm still not sold he's gonna cost an insane amount given there's other options available. By that, i mean i dont think he'd cost like a teams 1, 4, 13, and 20th best prospect for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If we're going after Moose, might as well go for Herrera as well.

Kill two birds with one stone. I dont know what the package would be but thats what i would do if we make a move to go for a playoff spot.

I wouldnt pay what it cost for Machado knowing there's no chance he'd re-sign.
    My thoughts exactly. That makes trading Camargo in that deal make sense.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Agreed. We can get Beltre or Moose without trading away Camargo. I think something along the lines of Wisler and Demeritte would do the trick. This is a 3 month rental. Unless it is for an elite player like Machado, rentals don't cost much in the way of prospects.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    If we felt confident we could sign Machado long-term, I’d go with him. Maybe trade Riley for him.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That makes trading Camargo in that deal make sense.
    It still doesnt, Camargo is pretty valuable, i wouldnt move him in that deal but Herrera/Moose together would cost more than a Fried, Wisler, Sims type.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Agreed. We can get Beltre or Moose without trading away Camargo. I think something along the lines of Wisler and Demeritte would do the trick. This is a 3 month rental. Unless it is for an elite player like Machado, rentals don't cost much in the way of prospects.

Demerritte is a 23 year old repeating AA unconvincingly. They got him for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez, who the Braves acquitted as a mid-season free agent and waiver wire acquisition.

Are you sure you could bear giving him up?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    No to Camargo in any deal during the season (well any realistic deal). You should be able to get Moose for a deal centered around Wisler most likely, may be Fried at most. He just isn't a super valuable player and this past off-season proved that. Herrera shouldn't cost all that much as a rental either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Demerritte is a 23 year old repeating AA unconvincingly. They got him for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez, who the Braves acquitted as a mid-season free agent and waiver wire acquisition.

Are you sure you could bear giving him up?
    i think some would find it unbearable...the Demeritte (1 r 2 t's) fan club is a pretty big clan around here
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i think some would find it unbearable...the Demeritte (1 r 2 t's) fan club is a pretty big clan around here
    Yeah, I don't care how his name is spelled. Not sure his mama does.