Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Machado or MooseTacos deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Exactly what everyone would hope - the problem is that they're going to be dragged (kicking and screaming) into them at some point.

You guys have been screaming about how Allard can't be successful at the MLB level for months despite his success - what makes you think that somebody in Baltimore finally listens as well? It's not like they can make the Davis contract disappear, so moving him (Machado) clears $17 million for next season - whether it's via free-agency OR trade, and they KNOW that's the money they'll have to replace him no matter where/when he goes. Everybody loves to beat up on JS around here - go back and look at the decision-maker's (Angelos) history in Baltimore - exactly what makes you think he's going to listen to anybody screaming "take the best offer on the table" when he's never done it before??? Would the Orioles be any better in 2019 with Allard and Moose than they are in 2018 with Machado?

You guys have screamed about the Braves being "anti-numbers" for years, what makes you think the Orioles are suddenly going to change in the next 6 weeks when they've been even worse?

Angelos is every bit as old-school as you guys scream about The Johns and Bobby being, and he actually has the final say since he's the one writing the checks. If he'd have had any sense, he'd have taken Andujar for Machado from the Yankees straight-up last winter, but his hatred of the Yankees (and lack of willingness to try to adjust to today's game) wouldn't let him.
    This comment doesn’t even make sense. The train of “thought” isn’t even followable.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Exactly what everyone would hope - the problem is that they're going to be dragged (kicking and screaming) into them at some point.

You guys have been screaming about how Allard can't be successful at the MLB level for months despite his success - what makes you think that somebody in Baltimore finally listens as well? It's not like they can make the Davis contract disappear, so moving him (Machado) clears $17 million for next season - whether it's via free-agency OR trade, and they KNOW that's the money they'll have to replace him no matter where/when he goes. Everybody loves to beat up on JS around here - go back and look at the decision-maker's (Angelos) history in Baltimore - exactly what makes you think he's going to listen to anybody screaming "take the best offer on the table" when he's never done it before??? Would the Orioles be any better in 2019 with Allard and Moose than they are in 2018 with Machado?

You guys have screamed about the Braves being "anti-numbers" for years, what makes you think the Orioles are suddenly going to change in the next 6 weeks when they've been even worse?

Angelos is every bit as old-school as you guys scream about The Johns and Bobby being, and he actually has the final say since he's the one writing the checks. If he'd have had any sense, he'd have taken Andujar for Machado from the Yankees straight-up last winter, but his hatred of the Yankees (and lack of willingness to try to adjust to today's game) wouldn't let him.
    We don't which is why they are likely to get abused in a trade for Machado whether it's the Braves or someone else.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This comment doesn’t even make sense. The train of “thought” isn’t even followable.
    James Joyce would be proud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    What's the board's preference...
    Give up allard+ for Machado or wisler/fried type player for mous? Personally, I rather go mous unless we feel having Machado gives us some sort of inside track to signing Machado long term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Morosi was interviewed the other day and says the braves have not yet reached out to baltimore to discuss machado, however, if they do, it would likely extend to a reliever as well....i wonder if they may wait to see how britton does before pulling the trigger on a move?
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Give up allard+ for Machado or wisler/fried type player for mous? Personally, I rather go mous unless we feel having Machado gives us some sort of inside track to signing Machado long term.
    Mous isn't a particularly significant upgrade, IMO. If it's free fine. But I don't think picking him up would be a big deal.

I'd rather improve the relievers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Morosi was interviewed the other day and says the braves have not yet reached out to baltimore to discuss machado, however, if they do, it would likely extend to a reliever as well....i wonder if they may wait to see how britton does before pulling the trigger on a move?
    The more I think about it the more I really like the idea of getting Machado. I just hope we don’t trade Wright or something dumb like that to do it.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Glad to see people are finally starting to come around to the idea of trading for Machado. He is the perfect fit for this Braves team and the price won't be as high as some think. The Braves could still re-sign him as well to keep him around longer. Then they could use Riley as the centerpiece in a trade for a true Ace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanBugatti View Post
    Glad to see people are finally starting to come around to the idea of trading for Machado. He is the perfect fit for this Braves team and the price won't be as high as some think. The Braves could still re-sign him as well to keep him around longer. Then they could use Riley as the centerpiece in a trade for a true Ace.
    What gives anyone the idea we could outbid the major market teams to sign Machado? Doesn't make much sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    if he’s healthy, Machado and Britton would be massive upgrades. I just don’t think I personally make the trade unless we have confirmation that Machado will resign. We’d lose too much.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    What gives anyone the idea we could outbid the major market teams to sign Machado? Doesn't make much sense.
    The fact that our farm system is top 3 in all of baseball. We have much more desirable prospects that Baltimore would prefer. Trading him to Atl instead of the Yankees also takes him out of the AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The fact that our farm system is top 3 in all of baseball. We have much more desirable prospects that Baltimore would prefer. Trading him to Atl instead of the Yankees also takes him out of the AL.
    I said SIGN as in free agent this off season. You insinuated that if we traded for him we'd have a good chance to sign him next year...

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I said SIGN as in free agent this off season. You insinuated that if we traded for him we'd have a good chance to sign him next year...
    I never said that at all. I simply said that they could re-sign him. The Braves have a ton of free money to spend this offseason and not that many glaring holes. Spending big on Machado is very much doable for AA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Absence of other major payroll obligations.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the Nats run away with the division by the deadline and the Braves are fighting for a single elimination WC game, I want them to get the cheapest upgrade at 3b possible.

If they are legitimately fighting the Nats for the division and a spot in a 5 game series, with the WC berth as a likely fall back option, I would be all for them spending the assets needed to acquire Machado.

Machado is a legit difference maker. Everyone else is a solid upgrade that’s more about the optics of making an acquisition.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-16-2018 at 10:50 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I never said that at all. I simply said that they could re-sign him. The Braves have a ton of free money to spend this offseason and not that many glaring holes. Spending big on Machado is very much doable for AA.
    The Braves will not be signing or resigning Machado this offseason. The largest FA contract in the history of the Braves isn’t even $100M, so aren’t suddenly giving Machado 4x that amount when Riley looks to be a solid 2 win player for free.

There is a decent chance they will be trading for him though.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves will not be signing or resigning Machado this offseason. The largest FA contract in the history of the Braves isn’t even $100M, so aren’t suddenly giving Machado 4x that amount when Riley looks to be a solid 2 win player for free.

There is a decent chance they will be trading for him though.
    Stop being an ignorant toolbag for 5 minutes. I bet you can't do it.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Stop being an ignorant toolbag for 5 minutes. I bet you can't do it.
    That was literally the most benign comment I've ever seen Enscheff make.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would go with the cheaper reinforcement because in general I think paying the contenders premium is bad business.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-17-2018), jpx7 (06-17-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would go with the cheaper reinforcement because in general I think paying the contenders premium is bad business.
    I agree. Sometimes it is justified in very specific circumstances, but in most cases (including ours), I would avoid the premium if possible.