Thread: AA piece on ESPN

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

AA piece on ESPN

When I talked to everyone in the organization, going through reports and on the phone, there wasn't really a consensus on every player. I could talk to 10 people, and five would say this player is going to be a star, and another five would say, "We're not sure, the jury is still out." There was never really a consensus. So even though I didn't know the evaluators, wasn't necessarily familiar with the information that we had internally, there was still [much] undecided internally. So that was a big part of it, looking around and giving guys opportunity and saying, "We're going to find out who is part of this core and who isn't." At least we would have a much better indication. We were going to want as much payroll flexibility as possible going forward because, look, young players -- some perform, some get hurt, some regress. All of a sudden, we might have a lot more holes at the end of 2018 than we thought we did. We may have fewer. The hope is, and we're still not there yet, is that we fill as many positions on this team as possible internally. That will just free up dollars for us to do other things, whether it's in the free-agent market or the trade market.

Conversely, what if our young players don't take a step? What if they regress, or there are injury concerns? We've got an elite-level player like Freddie Freeman, a stud defender like Ender Inciarte -- we have players that we still want to capitalize on. How can we continue on to take a step in 2019? That's where the payroll flexibility is going to come in. Right now, two months in, [Ozzie] Albies looks outstanding. Dansby Swanson has been very good. Johan Camargo has been coming on. [Austin] Riley is in Triple-A, so we feel good about that spot. ... I can go through the whole team, but it could have gone the other way. We just didn't know, but 2018 was a critical year for us to find out what we had.

You're always anxious. You want to make the team better. All I knew from the outside was that there was a lot of young talent here. All the previous regimes and scouting departments had done a fantastic job collecting and accumulating a lot of talent, even though the team wasn't winning at the big-league level. It was just a matter of, let's make sure we are not too quick to dismiss ... someone. Let's give the young guys as much opportunity as we can.

When I look at rosters, I always look at breakout and collapse potential, and even tried to incorporate that into my simulation model. How important is the variability that comes with young teams when you are talking about "surprise" teams in one form or another?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...next-big-thing

There's more to is as well but seems he like some on here are a bit surprised at the start, makes what happens at the deadline alot more interesting if we keep staying afloat.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We are going to make some trades folks.

I think I’m going to hate it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    After reading the previous article about baby Braves by this writer and this interview of AA, I think big moves are somewhat unlikely.

Which in the end is fine with me, I guess. Splashes are fun but they still really don’t know what they have. This season has been really sort of weird.

The pitching has come out of nowhere.

But we will see.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    We are going to make some trades folks.

I think I’m going to hate it
    I mean, we have a TON of SP's ready within the next 2 years and even now, thats our surplus to trade from.

Gohara, Soroka, Teheran, Newk, Folty, and Touki, Allard, Fried, among some others. We cant keep them all, gotta maximize the trade value of them eventually. I dont think AA goes all out for a move, but a bullpen arm and maybe a minor upgrade at 3B without gutting the farm, why not? We cant keep every single prospect.

Not even mentioning some positional prospects as well.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I want Machado!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I've said before that I think we snag Machado at the deadline. I don't personally think we should do it due to his cost (and he's killing it so it keeps going up), but I think we make the move. With our pitching and defense, I really don't think we go anywhere and will stay in contention until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I mean, we have a TON of SP's ready within the next 2 years and even now, thats our surplus to trade from.

Gohara, Soroka, Teheran, Newk, Folty, and Touki, Allard, Fried, among some others. We cant keep them all, gotta maximize the trade value of them eventually. I dont think AA goes all out for a move, but a bullpen arm and maybe a minor upgrade at 3B without gutting the farm, why not? We cant keep every single prospect.

Not even mentioning some positional prospects as well.
    I don’t think you trade those guys for pen arms.

Aa said if you are contending you have to help out the team. That worries me.

I’m ok with trading guys like Simms wisler etc for rental.

I’m ok trading fried etc for a long term piece

It would be really hard for me to trade touki Wright allard wentz anderson gohara Pache Riley waters encarnacion etc.

If it’s DeGrom that is one thing...although it seems crazy to pay for pitching with all of our pitching

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don’t think you trade those guys for pen arms.

Aa said if you are contending you have to help out the team. That worries me.

I’m ok with trading guys like Simms wisler etc for rental.

I’m ok trading fried etc for a long term piece

It would be really hard for me to trade touki Wright allard wentz anderson gohara Pache Riley waters encarnacion etc.

If it’s DeGrom that is one thing...although it seems crazy to pay for pitching with all of our pitching
    It might see crazy but a front 4 of DeGrom-Newk-Folty-Soroka with Julio if he's back is extremely formideable.

What's wrong with the AA quote if you're contending you have to help the team. The Braves have been better than anyone thought. The NL is completely wide open, i'm not saying gut the farm and trade for Machado, Herrera, DeGrom, but if you could get a pen arm which we need, and another IF to help out Camargo if the price is reasonable you do it.

You cant keep every prospect, once your team gets good, prospects get traded to help out the ML team, sucks, but thats the way it is. And Wisler, Sims, etc arent gonna land you jack **** in this trade market. We're not gonna keep all those prospects you named, just not reasonable or possible.
    Last edited by Heyward; 06-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I don’t really care what any article says. I’m glad we got AA and don’t think he will blow up the farm, but he is hardly a prospect hoarder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    sometimes the best move is no move
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-18-2018), jpx7 (06-18-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    sometimes the best move is no move
    This isn't one of those times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    It might see crazy but a front 4 of DeGrom-Newk-Folty-Soroka with Julio if he's back is extremely formideable.

What's wrong with the AA quote if you're contending you have to help the team. The Braves have been better than anyone thought. The NL is completely wide open, i'm not saying gut the farm and trade for Machado, Herrera, DeGrom, but if you could get a pen arm which we need, and another IF to help out Camargo if the price is reasonable you do it.

You cant keep every prospect, once your team gets good, prospects get traded to help out the ML team, sucks, but thats the way it is. And Wisler, Sims, etc arent gonna land you jack **** in this trade market. We're not gonna keep all those prospects you named, just not reasonable or possible.
    Just bc you have a lot of money doesn’t mean you should waste it.

Relief pitchers are the worst assets

We have guys in the minors who can help for free.

I’d rather keep those guys and use them for long term answer in the of or catcher

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I've said before that I think we snag Machado at the deadline. I don't personally think we should do it due to his cost (and he's killing it so it keeps going up), but I think we make the move. With our pitching and defense, I really don't think we go anywhere and will stay in contention until then.
    The Orioles system would jump if they gave us Macho Man. They can grab at least 3 starters in year 2 or 3 as long it is not Touks. I am okay of giving up Wright/Anderson, my feelings he does not like being a prime pitcher but would be alright if he is not in the spotlight.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No way I give up Wright or Anderson for a couple of month rental.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    The Orioles system would jump if they gave us Macho Man. They can grab at least 3 starters in year 2 or 3 as long it is not Touks. I am okay of giving up Wright/Anderson, my feelings he does not like being a prime pitcher but would be alright if he is not in the spotlight.
    Trying to think what from the Orioles would make me throw some real premium players in there.

Machado and Britton. Maybe I would need to get Bundy or Gausman back as well since any package likely would require including Teheran and McCarthy to make the money ok for Atlanta.

Machado 16m
    Britton 12 m
    Dylan Bundy 1.5 million

McCarthy 11.5m
    Teheran 9 m
    Wright
    ?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanBugatti View Post
    This isn't one of those times.
    The asking price for Machado this past winter was two young and controllable arms who are ready to step into a rotation TODAY. I see little reason to expect that changes unless everybody tells them no and they're left holding Machado with 6 hours until the deadline.

Allard and Fried for two months of Machado? No thanks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    O's seem like they would value near MLB ready players more than other teams like the A's do. So I could see them liking someone like Allard a lot. Fried too. I'd steer clear of the Wrights/Andersons/Toukis

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-18-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    O's seem like they would value near MLB ready players more than other teams like the A's do. So I could see them liking someone like Allard a lot. Fried too. I'd steer clear of the Wrights/Andersons/Toukis
    If it were "just Allard", I could probably stomach it (but wouldn't like it even then).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If it were "just Allard", I could probably stomach it (but wouldn't like it even then).
    A prospect at the backend of the top 100 is probably fair as the centerpiece for a Machado rental.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-18-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm not surprised that there wasn't consensus in the organization about a number of guys and I would imagine that dynamic plays out in most player development offices. I tend to believe that's a good thing as it avoids the kind of groupthink that can ossify an organization.