Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AA piece on ESPN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    To me, Machado certainly makes us better. You're taking a 1.5-2 WAR player in Camargo and getting a typical 5-6 WAR player. But I don't like it still. I would much rather look at where we're struggling. and that's the rotation. Folty and Newcomb look great, Soroka looks good. McCarthy is OK. Julio is massively outpitching his peripherals and should be traded off.

I think we should look at the pitching market instead. Try and see what prospects it would take to get Hamels and some cash. I don't know what the best choice is out there, but I'd rather focus on pitching. Offense we'll be fine in, it's the pitching that worries me.
    But we really aren't struggling starting pitching wise if you look at our starters stats for the years compared with the rest of the league... sorry Hamels is not an upgrade anymore. Maybe Hamels of 3 years ago but this is far from the same pitcher.

Also Julio as a 4th or 5th starter is fantastic. He's always out pitched his peripherals.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-18-2018 at 11:43 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    "Julio should be traded off."

To whom? For what?
    we're going to get less than nothing for him. we would have to pay to give him away at this point.
    i'm on board with the 3B and RP combo. adding another arm (or two?) in the BP would be huge. sam freeman not pitching anymore would be great. we probably could use SP help, but that will cost too much.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    But we really aren't struggling starting pitching wise if you look at our starters stats for the years compared with the rest of the league... sorry Hamels is not an upgrade anymore. Maybe Hamels of 3 years ago but this is far from the same pitcher.

Also Julio as a 4th or 5th starter is fantastic. He's always out pitched his peripherals.
    Hamels isn't a Cy Young level pitcher anymore. But Hamels can be a fiend in the post season. Consider the Astros moving for Verlander.

If we could move Julio or McCarthy and replace one of them with Hamels we have a better pitcher now, and someoen I'd have a ton more faith in the post season.

Julio has "out pitched his peripherals" but never by this extent. At some point his ERA si gonna come crashing into the mid 4s unless he improves his peripherals.

Some minor numbers to consider. Julio this year vs. career average.

This year 4.21 BB/9. Career 2.71. This year 38.4% hard hit balls, career 31.6.

Julio is giving mroe free passes and balls are being hit harder. He's lucking into not having a miserable ERA.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Listen to dob latest podcast
    Dob is horrible in this format but aa is on and he is very good

I think he is saving his bullets for a big one this offseason

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Listen to dob latest podcast
    Dob is horrible in this format but aa is on and he is very good

I think he is saving his bullets for a big one this offseason
    He's going after Machado or Harper IMO. AA sounds like he's going to go all in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think the most significant thing AA has said in his recent interviews is this: "I believe in leadership." And he went on to reference Freeman, Markakis, Suzuki.

Why is this significant? Mostly because we have a bunch of young and inexperienced players playing key roles, with more on the way. I think in his acquisitions to fill the gaps he will emphasize high character guys who will serve as mentors and examples to the younger players. I think this emphasis makes it fairly likely that one or two of Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers will be re-signed this off-season. Maybe Laird if he is available.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Jim Bowden said yesterday he has heard that we are preparing to go “all in” on Harper. Obviously Bowden is far from the most reliable source, but thought it was somewhat interesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the most significant thing AA has said in his recent interviews is this: "I believe in leadership." And he went on to reference Freeman, Markakis, Suzuki.

Why is this significant? Mostly because we have a bunch of young and inexperienced players playing key roles, with more on the way. I think in his acquisitions to fill the gaps he will emphasize high character guys who will serve as mentors and examples to the younger players. I think this emphasis makes it fairly likely that one or two of Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers will be re-signed this off-season. Maybe Laird if he is available.

I didn't get any sense from the DOB podcast that re-signing Markakis was their primary intention. He said nice things about Nick when asked, but just said that they were looking to do anything that would improve the club this offseason and that bringing Nick back was something that they would certainly consider.

He definitely is a lot more statty then people gave him credit for being in Toronto. He spits them off in every one of these interviews.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I didn't get any sense from the DOB podcast that re-signing Markakis was their primary intention. He said nice things about Nick when asked, but just said that they were looking to do anything that would improve the club this offseason and that bringing Nick back was something that they would certainly consider.

He definitely is a lot more statty then people gave him credit for being in Toronto. He spits them off in every one of these interviews.
    FWIW, to me he comes off in interviews as very protective of the minor league system so we'll see what he's willing to do there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts

His comments about the importance of leadership were in other interviews. I think Muk's performance in the second half will have a significant effect on their thinking. Right now they probably are discounting much of what he did in the first half as being just a hot streak.

"I am your retribution."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    His comments about the importance of leadership were in other interviews. I think Muk's performance in the second half will have a significant effect on their thinking. Right now they probably are discounting much of what he did in the first half as being just a hot streak.
    Laird coming back aboard the ram-ship?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    FWIW, to me he comes off in interviews as very protective of the minor league system so we'll see what he's willing to do there.
    which reinforces my view that the template this season will be acquiring players on contracts with little or no surplus value (which will minimize the prospects going the other way in trades)...and avoiding long-term deals which will jeopardize our ability to extent the young core

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Jim Bowden said yesterday he has heard that we are preparing to go “all in” on Harper. Obviously Bowden is far from the most reliable source, but thought it was somewhat interesting.

thethe has better sources than Bowden.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (06-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    thethe has better sources than Bowden.
    ...which is why I said he’s far from the most reliable source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Laird coming back aboard the ram-ship?
    would be yuge...i could see it this year if Suzuki or Flowers went down...Laird always kept himself in great shape

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (06-22-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    What are the odds the Yanks abandon the Stanton experiment after 1 year? Depending on how much money they'd be willing to eat, I'd be interested in that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

To me the most significant thing he said was about deal capital and how much it takes out of it to do 3 for 1 deals.

I think he is planning on doing a huge trade in the offseason. I don't think it's a Harper or Machado. It could be one of those guys and a big deal.

I have no idea who that guy is. But I think we get the Yelich of the offseason. I hope it's not a pitcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    To me the most significant thing he said was about deal capital and how much it takes out of it to do 3 for 1 deals.

I think he is planning on doing a huge trade in the offseason. I don't think it's a Harper or Machado. It could be one of those guys and a big deal.

I have no idea who that guy is. But I think we get the Yelich of the offseason. I hope it's not a pitcher.

If you made the big free agent sign, it would seem to follow you'd make the big trade(s).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    would be yuge...i could see it this year if Suzuki or Flowers went down...Laird always kept himself in great shape
    You can forget about Laird, dude. We simply don’t have the resources to pull him. You’re going to have to think smaller.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2018), Prikichi (06-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You can forget about Laird, dude. We simply don’t have the resources to pull him. You’re going to have to think smaller.
    AA thinks big...make that thinks yuge

"I am your retribution."

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2018), Prikichi (06-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-22-2018)