Thread: McCarthy To Pen

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

McCarthy To Pen

Didn't notice that little nugget when looking over MLBTR's roster moves yesterday...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ons-soler.html

Didn't hear anyone mention it during the game either.

Not likely that Allard or Fried get showcased while Folty's down, but still interesting.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    McCarthy to the pen makes the most sense. Pretty clear that Folty-Newk-Soroka-Julio-Sanchez are our best 5 starters right now. That could change and we'll have McCarthy to jump in if someone falters/gets hurt. I don't think Folty misses another start.

I like that Gohard is being sent to AAA to get stretched out. Hopefully he performs well as I'd like him to be option #1 out of the minors if we need somebody. I can easily see him replacing Sanchez in the 2nd half of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    McCarthy to the pen makes the most sense. Pretty clear that Folty-Newk-Soroka-Julio-Sanchez are our best 5 starters right now. That could change and we'll have McCarthy to jump in if someone falters/gets hurt. I don't think Folty misses another start.

I like that Gohard is being sent to AAA to get stretched out. Hopefully he performs well as I'd like him to be option #1 out of the minors if we need somebody. I can easily see him replacing Sanchez in the 2nd half of the year.
    I agree with going with a rotation of Folty-Newcomb-Soroka-Teheran-Sanchez for now.

It is worth noting, however, than Sanchez is outperforming his peripherals by a yuge amount and that Teheran is outperforming his by a fair amount. Whereas McCarthy has been underperforming his. I don't think there is much separation between the three. Go with the hot hand.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree with going with a rotation of Folty-Newcomb-Soroka-Teheran-Sanchez for now.

It is worth noting, however, than Sanchez is outperforming his peripherals by a yuge amount and that Teheran is outperforming his by a fair amount. Whereas McCarthy has been underperforming his. I don't think there is much separation between the three. Go with the hot hand.
    I agree with that. I also think Julio is the least likely to get replaced of those three as well. That's why I see McCarthy staying in the pen and probably Sanchez moving there too when Gohard replaces him.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Ballsy but I like it! Keep Soroka in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Soroka should definitely be in the rotation.

In 4 major league starts, K rate 8.1 and walk rate 2.1

In 5 AAA starts, K rate is 10.3 and walk rate is 2.0

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Soroka should definitely be in the rotation.

In 4 major league starts, K rate 8.1 and walk rate 2.1

In 5 AAA starts, K rate is 10.3 and walk rate is 2.0
    If he can maintain an 8/2 K/BB rate. Then he will be awesome. He is more designed to make the infield work than strike you out.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Teheran is owed the most money next year, so the Braves hand is kind of forced there. He's been better when he gets extra rest to revive his dead arm. I wonder if he might be best used as a fifth starter who gets skipped whenever possible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Teheran is owed the most money next year, so the Braves hand is kind of forced there. He's been better when he gets extra rest to revive his dead arm. I wonder if he might be best used as a fifth starter who gets skipped whenever possible?
    I think the call for the rest of this year will be mainly driven by performance. Teheran's contract influences planning for next year to some extent. But if he stinks up his next few starts, McCarthy (or Gohara) will take his spot in the rotation.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The Dodgers had been doing a lot of work while AA was there in quantifying the effects of rest and how to determine when pitchers need rest. Their use (abuse) of the 10 day DL was a direct result of those analytics.

It's probably safe to assume they figured out something a little more advanced than looking at the pitcher's results the previous day.

Whatever they are using to determine who needs rest and when they need it, the process seems to be working very well for the Braves pitching staff.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-18-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Dodgers had been doing a lot of work while AA was there in quantifying the effects of rest and how to determine when pitchers need rest. Their use (abuse) of the 10 day DL was a direct result of those analytics.

It's probably safe to assume they figured out something a little more advanced than looking at the pitcher's results the previous day.

Whatever they are using to determine who needs rest and when they need it, the process seems to be working very well for the Braves pitching staff.
    Which is all the more reason I'm hesitant about giving up much for a 2 month Machado rental -

If you remove McCarthy and Anibal from the 2019 equation,

Folty, Newk, Soroka, Julio, Allard, Fried, and potentially Wright or Weigel at some point sure looks a lot prettier than replacing any of those last four names with Wisler or Sims.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    This makes no sense to me.

He is a good pitcher. Not great but good. Happy 4 on most teams. He has a reasonable deal. Team option for cheap next year.

We should be able to move him. Free up money and get a small piece.

Why would the Padres not want him?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    This makes no sense to me.

He is a good pitcher. Not great but good. Happy 4 on most teams. He has a reasonable deal. Team option for cheap next year.

We should be able to move him. Free up money and get a small piece.

Why would the Padres not want him?
    Maybe he's the MLB ready arm that the O's want for Machado?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Maybe he's the MLB ready arm that the O's want for Machado?
    If McCarthy + Fried got me Machado I'd do it today.

I assume they want guys with more than 1.5 years of control.

I was thinking a team like the Padres could take on that money for a RP, not have to do the RP starting thing and then flip McCarthy at the deadline next year.