Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nationals Snatch Herrara Away from Royals (and Braves?)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Well, on to Brad Hand then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Well, on to Brad Hand then?
    are the Padres sellers?

are they sellers of players they have under control for multiple years?

if not the price might be steep...it will be steep even if they are sellers...but it will be really steep if they are not motivated sellers
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-19-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i strongly prefer a lefty for the pen, anyway. i would've taken KH. but ideally give me a lefty.
    i agree on the greater need for a lefty

i think there are some that may be available from non-contending teams at reasonable prices: Loup, Avilan, Alex Claudio

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i agree on the greater need for a lefty

i think there are some that may be available from non-contending teams at reasonable prices: Loup, Avilan, Alex Claudio
    I doubt we are getting a closer to replace Viz. I think a good lefty is much more likely.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If the playoff bullpen has gohara and Phillips in it I think we will be good.

If it’s a rental I’m still focusing on 3b

Need to improve bench

Need dh for World Series 😎

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    are the Padres sellers?

are they sellers of players they have under control for multiple years?

if not the price might be steep...it will be steep even if they are sellers...but it will be really steep if they are not motivated sellers
    I'm not sure the Padres know. They have been rather erratic.

Going for it, fire sale three months later, tanking, then what I consider to be pretty weird acquisitions and signings this offseason to maybe try and flirt with .500.

I'm not sure that they are really trying to construct a team so much as acquire players at what they consider to be decent prices and keep shuffling the mix.

I'd guess they'd spin off just about anyone for a good price. I think Hand would be a pricy ask.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I was thinking like Ynoa, D-Pete, Ruiz would be an equivalent package.
    I think this is in the ball park. Maybe swap TD for Ruiz, and Ynoa is a 40 while Morel might be a 35, but you have the general idea.

I can't think of the Braves equivalent of a 17 year old lottery ticket arm because I don't know anything about fringe guys that young.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah that's pretty obvious. Royals were identified as a team to be taken advantage of and I believe they were. Just sucks it wasn't the Braves but the Nats that did it. I believe money was a big factor in any interest the Braves had. Could be the Braves only have room for one significant addition and are waiting on that.
    KC still has Mous, and the Os still have Machado and a couple BP arms.

There's still time for AA to fleece one of the dumb FOs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-19-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Not surprising, but interesting to see it being written now: https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-pati...ne/c-281919888

The Braves have been one of the game's biggest surprises this season, their young team holding firm to first place in the National League East with the halfway point rapidly approaching.

Although Atlanta general manager Alex Anthopoulos has several areas of his roster that he could address in the coming weeks, a source with knowledge of the Braves' thinking doesn't anticipate a series of major moves coming between now and July 31.

"They can address a lot of areas, but they're not going to be able to address a lot of areas," the source said. "In a perfect world, they could use a bullpen guy, a front-of-the-rotation starter and a big bat, but they're not going to have the dollars to fill all those spots. They also don't want to use that much prospect capital to fill that many holes."

With their rebuild moving faster than expected, the Braves also plan to wait until mid-to-late July before making any move.

"They'll likely wait as long as they can because between now and July, there could be more players get injured, there could be dips in performance, things like that," the source said. "The needs today could be different than they are three or four weeks from now. The longer they wait, the more clearly defined the needs will be."

With the payroll nearing $120 million, Atlanta won't be in position to acquire a bench player making $4 million-$5 million or a middle reliever earning $6 million. It's also highly improbable that the Braves will be able to bring in a big-salary star, the source said, making Manny Machado an unlikely target.

"It's ridiculous," the source said of the constant Machado-to-Atlanta chatter.

With limited financial flexibility, the Braves will likely have one or two moves to make in the best-case scenario. With that in mind, Anthopoulos will want to make that move or two really count.

"They only have so many resources, whether it's money they can take on in salary or total players they'll be willing to move," the source said. "What if they make the move in June and then in July, it turns out that wasn't the primary need? Look at the Twins last year; they made a deal for Jaime Garcia and then turned around a week later and traded him away. [The Braves are] playing the slow game."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    AA needs to show attendance to owners to get a little more money. Sell winning is keeping attendance up... adding a few more pieces could keep the team winning, thus profiting

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Not surprising, but interesting to see it being written now: https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-pati...ne/c-281919888

With the payroll nearing $120 million, Atlanta won't be in position to acquire a bench player making $4 million-$5 million or a middle reliever earning $6 million. It's also highly improbable that the Braves will be able to bring in a big-salary star, the source said, making Manny Machado an unlikely target.

"It's ridiculous," the source said of the constant Machado-to-Atlanta chatter.

With limited financial flexibility, the Braves will likely have one or two moves to make in the best-case scenario. With that in mind, Anthopoulos will want to make that move or two really count.

"They only have so many resources, whether it's money they can take on in salary or total players they'll be willing to move," the source said. "What if they make the move in June and then in July, it turns out that wasn't the primary need? Look at the Twins last year; they made a deal for Jaime Garcia and then turned around a week later and traded him away. [The Braves are] playing the slow game."
    This unfortunately all makes sense.

I wonder who the source with knowledge of the Braves thinking is that talks about the Braves in the third person? It echoes something that Bowman was putting out a couple of weeks ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Well that's disappointing. Seems reasonable to assume they are beating attendance projections in a big way, and should be able to add some payroll.

If Machado is a "no chance" then it comes down to guys like Asdrubel and Mous. At least Asdrubel could also slot in at SS if needed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Report out that the Red Sox are interested in Hand, but the Padres want(ed) a young every day player in return, someone like RAFAEL DEVERS.
    yeah, they're not getting that from anyone.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Report out that the Red Sox are interested in Hand, but the Padres want(ed) a young every day player in return, someone like RAFAEL DEVERS.
    yeah, they're not getting that from anyone.
    I mean the Yanks got Gleybor Torres for 2 months of Chapman.

Hand signed 2 more years after this

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

torres was still a prospect in A+ ball and chapman was more dominant.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If the playoff bullpen has gohara and Phillips in it I think we will be good.

If it’s a rental I’m still focusing on 3b

Need to improve bench

Need dh for World Series 😎
    2.) Pache for speed and defense.

3.) Riley

NO PROBLEM!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

I would absolutely love Hand. The 2 years are big and will drive his price up a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Seems reasonable to assume they are beating attendance projections in a big way, and should be able to add some payroll.

If Machado is a "no chance" then it comes down to guys like Asdrubel and Mous. At least Asdrubel could also slot in at SS if needed.
    Wasn't there talk of major debt that the organization had accrued? Maybe ownership wants to use any attendance boost revenue to pay down some of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It has been apparent for some time that:

1) Not much $$ are left to pay for a mid-season acquisition
    2) AA also did not want to give up much in the way of prospects
    From 1 & 2, it follows that:
    3) the likely trade deadline moves are going to be "depth moves." The other team may pick up some salary for the players they trade but it won't be the kind of player (Machado) that requires premium prospects.

We all know what AA will be looking fore: a third baseman who is not necessarily better than Camargo but who will improve bench strength and give Snitker more flexibility when it comes to lineup construction. Also a left handed reliever with conventional splits.

The options for each are many. With the Mets announcing they are open for business, Frazier and Cabrera are now options for third. The other third base options include Lowrie, Beltre, Moose, Santana, Donaldson.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-19-2018 at 03:36 PM.

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Donaldson would be very interesting if he becomes a “buy low” candidate, given his injuries and struggles so far this year. His ceiling for impact is much higher than any other 3B on that list.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-19-2018)