Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we/should we allow Hamels to get away?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Hopefully no one missed Jim Bowden's trade idea where we send Touki Toussaint, Cristian Pache, Bryse Wilson and a player to be named later to the Rangers for Cole Hamels and Keone Kela.

Got a good laugh out of that one.
    Does Bowden really think AA is an imbecile?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    No thx. Paying for his name at this point.
    ...this....

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    Does Bowden really think AA is an imbecile?
    That Bowden trade would literally be a Shelby Miller level fleecing. Maybe even worse considering there was reason to believe Miller could be a serviceable pitcher who was fairly controllable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Hamels FIP is inflated in large part to his HR rate, which is sky high. His other peripherals are pretty solid.

Hamels would be a solid get if we could make it work for little cost. Count me as skeptical on it. Someone like Happ or Liriano seem more likely if we are shopping for SP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Rumor mill has the Mariners talking to the Rangers about Cole Hamels, who owned the Braves during his Phllly days. He's still in his prime, he's healthy and he's available.

And, oh by the way, we have a SURPLUS of young pitching. This is a trigger that must be pulled because there's a good chance the Braves will have to face him somewhere along the way if they don't.
    Hamels is in his prime? Seriously Rico... vomit

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    I’d rather stay pat than get any of those guys just because I don’t think they get us closer to the playoffs or a World Series. If somehow Bumgarner becomes available then I may get tempted but otherwise don’t do anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    it might turn out that closer and/or starting pitching is a higher priority than left side of the infield...will depend on health and form of various players...AA will probably wait as long as possible to make the call

situational lefty is different because it is easier and cheaper to fill...filling that need will not have much impact on our ability to fill other needs
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Let's give buying Hamels for prospects a miss, shall we?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I just don't get the trade ideas on here sometimes. Hamels is 34, is not in his prime, has a 5.22 FIP, and has a pretty hefty contract that we likely couldn't afford without eating Texas eating some money. Tell me again why it is imperative we get this guy? Because we might have to face him in the playoffs or something? Maybe I'm dumb, but a 5.22 FIP pitcher who hasn't had a sub 3.5 ERA in 3 years doesn't exactly scare the pants off me.

I still maintain that trading from our surplus of pitching for a single pitcher is a bad idea and would be a mark of contempt for the rebuild. But if we are going to do it, give me someone better than a 34 year old Hamels.
    I wouldn’t give up anything like the prospects listed in that deal and I’m not sure I’d want to eat a 6 m buyout.

But I think Cole Hamels probably would make the team better as things stand presently.

But he’s more terry Mulholland than Denny Neagle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Hamels FIP is inflated in large part to his HR rate, which is sky high. His other peripherals are pretty solid.

Hamels would be a solid get if we could make it work for little cost. Count me as skeptical on it. Someone like Happ or Liriano seem more likely if we are shopping for SP.
    Arlington and Suntrust are on opposite ends of the HR spectrum. Arlington is a launching pad (2nd) and SunTrust is second from bottom in that category.

Hamels would be a decent addition but not at that price.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

Some merit to this. Hamels has a 3.94 FIP on the road so far. Not great but would be decent depth at the right price.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Let's give buying Hamels for prospects a miss, shall we?
    I’ve gently advocated for Hamels previously this season ... if the cost is essentially surplus flotsam (say, Sims +) for a salary dump, or slightly better (say, Wisler +) if Texas picks up cash and wants something back.

But a bidding battle, and real prospects, for a declining dude on a bloated bill? Heinous to even propose.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Some merit to this. Hamels has a 3.94 FIP on the road so far. Not great but would be decent depth at the right price.
    I know you're just throwing names out, but it seems very unlikely to me that we trade Wisler or any decent higher level starter during the season. I think we value the depth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I know you're just throwing names out, but it seems very unlikely to me that we trade Wisler or any decent higher level starter during the season. I think we value the depth.
    I think Wisler is prime trade bait...will be out of options after this year
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Much rather have Adrian Beltre

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Cole hamels, he of the 5.22 FIP and 4.12 xFIP, is still in his prime at the age of 34?

I'd much rather see Allard.
    This

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Sometimes our job here is to promote discussion, and Hamel is only two years removed from have a 22-6 year-and-a-half with the Rangers with a 3.40 ERA. Considering the sorry team around him, a 4-6 record is no gauge, but his 3.61 is by far the best among their cruddy rotation.

As for what we deal for him, it should be something like Sims, Tyler Pike and Encarnacion. Maybe beg them to take Hursh.

Another factor, one which I should have mentioned up front, only twice in his last 13 starts has he gone less than six innings. In each of those, he went five. He's gone at least seven innings in four of his last seven starts, and has lost only twice since April 24 (10 starts).
    Last edited by rico43; 06-29-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    There is a debate if we could make both of them work.

But to be blunt, I think I'd rather just see if Camargo can be a 2 WAR 3B and roll with it.

To me the Braves if they want to upgrade there's 2 clear positions to do it. Starting Pitcher, and Relief Pitcher. Braves fWAR rankings by position goes as follows

C - 3rd
    1B - 3rd
    2B - 5th
    3B - 17th (pretty much entirely Camargo FWIW)
    SS - 10th
    LF - 20th
    CF - 15th
    RF - 7th

The softest position of LF is occupied by the top prospect in baseball. 3B is soft, but if Camargo can be legit we should fall middle of the pack. And while Machado is a star, is it worth it for one season to trade for him? Maybe.

SP rank 13th
    RP rank 13th

Neither are horrible, but we do have some solid albatrosses there. While Foltz and Newk have been awesome compiling a combined 3.8 fWAR, Julio and McCarthy are borderline worthless compiling a 0.3 fWAR. If we were to rank our pitchers by slot and have the balance be called the 5th pitcher, this is where we'd be

1st. Folty 2.0 - Great
    2nd. Newk 1.8 - Great
    3rd McCathy 0.2 - Bad
    4th Julio 0.1 - Bad
    5th The rest - 1.6 - Good

Now it's worth noting that I gave thema good but not great because of numbers, Soroka was great, ANibal was good, Wisler, Gohara and Fried were OK. Our rotation looks pretty easy to fix. Get rid of Julio in any shape way or form. get rid of McCarthy. Soroka and the crew will be there and acquire a solid major league SP. And getting someone like Fulmer, Hamels, Liriano, Archer, etc. would be better than McCarthy or Julio. The rub is what will it cost us. If it's too high then we deal with one

I'd not hate the rest of the season having a rotation of

FOlty
    Newk
    SP from trade
    Soroka
    Anibal/Wisler/Allard/etc.

If we can upgrade our 2 weakest spots in the rotation, we'll be in a great position.

Same with Bullpen, our top 4 in the bullpen are strong. It's Freeman, Biddle and Moylan who are potential to be upgraded. And really Freeman and Biddle aren't that bad, just not that great. I imagine if Baltimore is being reasonable and doesn't have to trade him with Machado, that Brach would be a solid upgrade to the pen. Not amazing by any stretch, just another uptick. Or we could go a little bigger, Stammen would be one name as a reliever for a losing team who could potentially step in as set up or closer right now. LeClerc or Jimenez if we want to try for a long term relieving prospect, though odds are we'd probably have to give up Fried or Wisler for one of them. That's a risky proposition.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-30-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Beltre is 52 games this year has 0.9 fWAR

Camargo in 59 games this year has 1.1 fWAR

Camargo is making the most of his chance and deserves the bulk of playing time. If anything you'd like someone to replace RF as bench depth but Camargo needs to stay the starter.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Im all for trading for upgrades this year. Front office needs to make the most of it. We may not be this good in 2019.....

but Cole Hammels? Ehhh