Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: GDT--Sun,7/1 vs Cards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    This could be used to sneak Fredi back on the team, so I am against it.
    Anything to help the team be as clutch as they were in 2010.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-01-2018), jpx7 (07-01-2018)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-01-2018), bravesfanMatt (07-02-2018), Garmel (07-01-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'll be there for all 3 games. Looking forward to it. Also the Phillies just took 3 of 4 from the Nats.
    You may wanna skip the day game.

Tehearn pitching against Stanton and Judge... yeah.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Managers are just that, managers. Their primary responsibility is to make sure their people are performing up to their capabilities. Bench strategy is more visible but far, far less important.

Honestly, I think you'll see more and more teams employing a coach that understands all the stats and tactics to help the manager in that regard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    As I said earlier, I wouldn't compare the mistakes made today by Snit to how badly he managed that game vs Baltimore. A game we came close to winning anyhow and maybe would've if Wash holds Freeman at third in that 9th inning (not that the top half of that inning should've been allowed to get so crazy). But this sounds like the old Fredi argument all over again that says a manager can mismanage a pen regularly and it has little to no effect. That simply isn't true, the worst bullpen managers cost their teams often and most have losing records. Further, there are some good managers in the game who actually help more often in how they manage their pen rather than hurt (yes, everyone makes mistakes). But I don't disagree that there are plenty of bad ones managing teams that won't go to the playoffs. IOW, those teams usually don't go to the playoffs, but they can if the team is really clutch and overcomes a lot of adversity despite that. If you are near tops in runs scored in your league and get good starting pitching you are more likely to overcome such bad managing, obviously. I'd say we did that in 2013 and are doing so again this year, at least to this point. This team is young, good and really clutch. They score a lot late making for some exciting comebacks.
    My problem with Fredi was more with not understanding clutch situations as well as killing bullpen arms than his day-by-day bullpen management (though maybe I wasn’t a good enough fan to think critically about that). I think Snitker is very slightly better at the former and so far better at the latter. May be recency bias, but I feel like Snitker is mildly worse at the day-by-day stuff. Around half the league is better at bullpen stuff than Snitker imo (though I guess I don’t get to watch other team’s games regularly). If Snitker gives Freeman more time off, personally I’m fine with accepting his current level of tactical managing and hoping he improves over time as he is a bit better at it than last year, and he seems like a good team chemistry guy.

I agree with those that say we should have hired Bud Black as he was my actual first choice, but I don’t know anyone else available right now that seems competent tactically.

For tl;dr: I basically agree with you but think he may have cost the team like 5 wins at most. If he’s helping team chemistry, I’m ok with that

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Managers are just that, managers. Their primary responsibility is to make sure their people are performing up to their capabilities. Bench strategy is more visible but far, far less important.

Honestly, I think you'll see more and more teams employing a coach that understands all the stats and tactics to help the manager in that regard.
    Well who did we hire for that?

Walt Weiss is anti-analytics I thought.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-01-2018), UNCBlue012 (07-02-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    You may wanna skip the day game.

Tehearn pitching against Stanton and Judge... yeah.
    You know he’s going to no-hit them through seven, then turn around and give up nine runs against the Blue Jays his next turn.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (07-01-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-01-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I watched the game later, just finished it. Freeman's HR was the best AB I've seen in a long time.. wow!

The bullpen has definitely been exposed without Viz in there. I think we need to add a BP piece sooner rather than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    My problem with Fredi was more with not understanding clutch situations as well as killing bullpen arms than his day-by-day bullpen management (though maybe I wasn’t a good enough fan to think critically about that). I think Snitker is very slightly better at the former and so far better at the latter. May be recency bias, but I feel like Snitker is mildly worse at the day-by-day stuff. Around half the league is better at bullpen stuff than Snitker imo (though I guess I don’t get to watch other team’s games regularly). If Snitker gives Freeman more time off, personally I’m fine with accepting his current level of tactical managing and hoping he improves over time as he is a bit better at it than last year, and he seems like a good team chemistry guy.

I agree with those that say we should have hired Bud Black as he was my actual first choice, but I don’t know anyone else available right now that seems competent tactically.

For tl;dr: I basically agree with you but think he may have cost the team like 5 wins at most. If he’s helping team chemistry, I’m ok with that
    As you may recall, I was on the Bud Black bandwagon from the start and very disappointed that we didn't hire him. I really thought we might given his connections to our people and given the fact we are built on pitching too. I figured even as stuck in the past as we were, that even we'd see Black fit our needs. Big miss there IMO.

My take is we'd have at least twice the lead we have in the division with a good manager. If we make the playoffs despite Snit, I doubt we last long as against the best managers he will choke like Fredi did IMO. But if we make it that far most will be happy as like 2013 we were not supposed to be good this year or so they say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

i didn't like that hire either. Wash is also that way, so much so he cost Texas a WS refusing to sub his DH in the OF. The Cardinals fan thank him for that. However, Washington was a better overall manager than Snit and I'd take him over Snit with AA making sure Washington learned from his past mistakes. Washington is also fun to watch in the dugout, he is really gets into it.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I watched the game later, just finished it. Freeman's HR was the best AB I've seen in a long time.. wow!

The bullpen has definitely been exposed without Viz in there. I think we need to add a BP piece sooner rather than later.
    Guess you didn’t see Markakis’ AB yesterday ...
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post

There is no possible way a manager lost or won 5 games in half a season. That is absurd fan exaggeration.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Guess you didn’t see Markakis’ AB yesterday ...
    Markakis contact skills helped him that AB as he really chased too many bad pitches the first half of it, then he went full on battle mode and started taking those pitches off the plate before he came inside on the edge of the plate and nailed it. You could argue Freeman's AB was better in not chasing so many bad pitches, but Markakis staying alive doing so until working it full before that grand slam is pretty impressive too. It showed one of Markakis best skills, making contact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

AA seems to be really good at connecting to those who are more reluctant to accept analytics but are still well respected baseball teachers/leaders. This is just something that I have observed. I wonder if Snitker and Weiss are actually more accepting of stats than we assumed.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It’s almost like baseball teams shouldn’t be judged based on 3 game samples. Weird.
    I can tell you contained yourself here, and it comes across well.

Great point
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-02-2018)