Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Bradley: The Braves Are Doing Their Part. Liberty Media Needs To Step Up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    But they've still been willing to go into the luxury tax.

Thunder would have been a dynasty had they done the same. Remember, they had Harden, Durant, and Westbrook.
    I don't believe that was the Warriors went above the luxury task until this past season. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't follow these things that closely.

I am still wondering what Liberty kicking in some extra dough at the deadline would get us. Anyone have an answer? Mr. Bradley mentioned Hamels and Liriano. Is that the point of all this? Seriously?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-05-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't believe that was the Warriors went above the luxury task until this past season. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't follow these things that closely.

I am still wondering what Liberty kicking in some extra dough at the deadline would get us. Anyone have an answer? Mr. Bradley mentioned Hamels and Liriano. Is that the point of all this? Seriously?
    2 more solid relievers? Haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    We are just entering our window to compete for championships. Save the prospects for upcoming years and lets see how far the kids can go.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

I don't really understand the premise of the article. But I guess you can wonder how much cash we have if any to spend. So if we go to get a reliever and end up having to ask the other team to pay the contract it would cost better prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I don't really understand the premise of the article. But I guess you can wonder how much cash we have if any to spend. So if we go to get a reliever and end up having to ask the other team to pay the contract it would cost better prospects.
    Most of the situational lefties we are likely looking at (Avilan, Loup, Claudio) don't make hardly anything beyond minimum. So they can be acquired without reference to budget.

Acquiring someone to bolster the left side of the infield will probably require asking the other team to pick up salary. Asdrubal Cabrera for example has 4M left on his salary for 2018. I'm sure the Mets would be willing to eat most of that to enhance the prospect return. But even then we're not talking about a top 10 guy. AA can do what he needs to do without asking for a budget increase.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Most of the situational lefties we are likely looking at (Avilan, Loup, Claudio) don't make hardly anything beyond minimum. So they can be acquired without reference to budget.

Acquiring someone to bolster the left side of the infield will probably require asking the other team to pick up salary. Asdrubal Cabrera for example has 4M left on his salary for 2018. I'm sure the Mets would be willing to eat most of that to enhance the prospect return. But even then we're not talking about a top 10 guy. AA can do what he needs to do without asking for a budget increase.

Who is "we?"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

I agree with most of this, but we absolutely need to find another veteran starter somewhere. We have exactly 1 pitcher on our staff that threw more than 180 innings last year and that is JT (who most on here want sent to scrap heap). It doesn't have to be Hamels or Degrom, but someone like Liriano or Happ would be ideal. Hell James Shields is having an OK season and I'm sure we could pick him up for for someone like Wes Parsons.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Same stupid blabber.

The Braves payroll is perfectly in line with their attendance and revenues
    Incorrect.

Braves Revenues in 2017: 8th
    Braves Attendance in 2017: 13th
    Braves Payroll in 2018: 21st

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    "The Braves payroll is perfectly in line with their attendance and revenues"

yes and no.... while the reported number of 120M+ might be, the actually money on the field amounts to a paltry 84M, if you include those on the DL, 56M without.
    Huh? Are you suggesting any other team in MLB doesn't count dead payroll towards their payroll limit?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Ask Alabama football or the Golden State Warriors.

NY Times did a great piece on the Tide's football program a while back.

It takes a buck to make a buck.
    This guy knows economics!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Remember that whole "debt servicing" thing?

The Braves have a middling payroll because they have middling revenues. It was nothing to do with Liberty Media.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

The reason given for the Braves not acquiring the BP arm from KC was that his remaining salary would blow almost all of the Braves available payroll? He was owed something like $5M at the time, so that's a pretty good number to use when we talk about these acquisitions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

The Braves have a middling payroll because they have middling revenues. It was nothing to do with Liberty Media.
    But the debt servicing thing was never exactly explained to us, it was just mentioned in one article in pretty vague terms. All speculation as to what we're dealing with and what it's even a result of.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But the debt servicing thing was never exactly explained to us, it was just mentioned in one article in pretty vague terms. All speculation as to what we're dealing with and what it's even a result of.
    Got it...

We can speculate about LM's commitment to the Braves based on a bunch of vague statements, but we can't do the same with regards to other constraints on payroll.

Sorry. Commence with the bitching over LM as owners.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

So 8th in revenues is considered middling? Okay then

If we're going on revenues and attendance, the team should be around 11th or 12th in payroll. Instead they're 21st. The debt servicing, of course, is why. Since they're still building the new ST complex, this isn't likely to change soon. There's no reason to expect that our payroll will increase for the foreseeable future

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Got it...

We can speculate about LM's commitment to the Braves based on a bunch of vague statements, but we can't do the same with regards to other constraints on payroll.

Sorry. Commence with the bitching over LM as owners.
    What are you even talking about? Most of what we even have to go off here is pure speculation. The only facts we have our actual revenue, actual attendance, and actual payroll.