Morosi: Braves interested in Machado

Didn't see this posted yesterday.

Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Obviously Machado would be exciting, but we're gonna need some pitching to make it through the year. Get us Liriano/Happ and a good reliever without giving up a top 10 prospect and call it a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m all for it but not for some of the packages I’ve seen some sites throw out there. Wright or anybody of that caliber can’t be used for a few month rental. The thought of Machado and a really good reliever does make your mouth water though.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    New Morosi article: https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...ce/c-284331142

"Meanwhile, the Braves have ample pitching prospects to trade, even if Sean Newcomb (8-3, 3.10 ERA) and Mike Soroka (now injured) are unavailable. Of Atlanta's top seven prospects according to MLBPipeline.com, all but third baseman Austin Riley (No. 6) are pitchers. So, general manager Alex Anthopoulos could part with two top arms and still have plenty of depth.

That doesn't mean he will.

In fact, one source highly doubts the Braves would offer right-hander Ian Anderson (No. 4) and left-hander Max Fried (No. 7) for Machado, because the team (a) believes both pitchers have high ceilings and (b) views the bullpen as a more pressing need."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    New Morosi article: https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...ce/c-284331142

"Meanwhile, the Braves have ample pitching prospects to trade, even if Sean Newcomb (8-3, 3.10 ERA) and Mike Soroka (now injured) are unavailable. Of Atlanta's top seven prospects according to MLBPipeline.com, all but third baseman Austin Riley (No. 6) are pitchers. So, general manager Alex Anthopoulos could part with two top arms and still have plenty of depth.

That doesn't mean he will.

In fact, one source highly doubts the Braves would offer right-hander Ian Anderson (No. 4) and left-hander Max Fried (No. 7) for Machado, because the team (a) believes both pitchers have high ceilings and (b) views the bullpen as a more pressing need."

Yeah with the emergence of Camargo and Swanson providing elite defense I don't think someone like Machado is likely at all. Especially when you consider what it would take, the Braves more pressing needs, and the payroll availability.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-05-2018), jpx7 (07-05-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah with the emergence of Camargo and Swanson providing elite defense I don't think someone like Machado is likely at all. Especially when you consider what it would take, the Braves more pressing needs, and the payroll availability.
    Don't see it either, but...

hearing us mentioned lately as being on the periphery makes you wonder if AA thinks he can re-sign him after he's had a couple months here during a pennant race. Would be a HUGE gamble (obviously), but wouldn't a Dansby/Anderson package be more appealing for Baltimore than Duplantier/Chisholm?

If you made that deal, you leave Johan at 3B and free-up SS for Machado - showing him that you wanted him badly enough to move what most considered as a cornerstone piece to clear the position he wants for him. If he walks, you could always consider moving Ozzie back to SS, Camargo to 2B, and sliding Riley in at 3B.

Not saying I'd do it either, but it's not like renting him for a run this year - when the NL looks like it's going to be there for the taking - would absolutely destroy you for the future, and you never know whether potentially making a deep run into October could be a difference-maker when he's weighing his options for his future.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    reddit has more talk of Machado for SS and trading Dansby.

I know Machado has been having a terrible year defensively, but he's been good at SS defensively in the past.
    When I want seriously intelligent baseball discussion, I often go to reddit to find it.

That was sarcasm.

Let’s call it “highly unlikely” that the Braves trade away a young SS in order to make room for a 2 month rental

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I do not want to trade anyone real for a rental.

I'd like to deal out of the Wisler, Sims, Demerrite, Rio, Graham level of guys for a rental. With the buyer's market, that should be enough.

With Folty, Newk, JT, Fried, Soroka, Gohara, Allard and Wright we will deal some of those guys. But I think and hope we will keep our powder dry for a legit, multi-year option.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-07-2018), JohnAdcox (07-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I don't necessarily have a problem trading Dansby in the right package. But not before the end of the year. However, such a deal would have to bring back a legit superstar like Arenado.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    What if our pitch to Machado is “You can play shortstop”. Riley at 3rd.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    What if our pitch to Machado is “You can play shortstop”. Riley at 3rd.
    Phillies backed off because the price was too “high”. I’m not trading any prospects for a 2 month rental.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Improving the pen will give us a bigger boost at a smaller cost than Machado ever could.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You never know if you trade for him. Paul George was never thought to sign back with the Thunder and did, because he said “They went out and traded for me and that showed how much they wanted me”.

On the flip side....I am not for the trade...at all. Too much to give up. It does make me think though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    If the dodgers are offering Verdugo, Alvarez, and another prospect (probably Dustin May), this board would have a melt down if we beat that price
    According to the source, neither Verdugo nor Alvarez were offered. Considering Alvarez was only on one top 100 list pre-season and the Dodgers are considered to have the top offer currently, I'd venture to say that none of the offers are of the Kings ransom variety.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    What I don't want to see is him go for practically nothing like Herrera and the Braves not getting him. That would really suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    His bat would be a game changer for us to put behind Freddie. We could still get a good reliever or 2.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    If we get him i wonder if its at SS instead of 3B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    His bat would be a game changer for us to put behind Freddie. We could still get a good reliever or 2.
    we’d be favorites in our division at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    two things I would expect is waiting till the last day of the deadline to minimize the money we have to pay and if we did trade for Machado we would get a reliever back in the deal as well. Someone like Brad Brach who is a pending free agent.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I would link out a bare minimum that they would look at package knowing the other teams as well and see if they bite.

If we get him, start at 6 years 2 buyouts around 28.5 per. I know he might not do it, but I am asking the fans would you do it for that much money considering he is still young.

Personally, I don't like giving anyone 20 or mil at 6 or more years period unless their is something we can do in cost control or very young, it hamstrings the team.