Thread: General Music Discussion Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

General Music Discussion Thread

So just to talk about general music stuff. No real rules. Aside from kind of don't be a dick and put down other people's tastes. You can argue opinion (i.e. Randy Rhoads is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen) but be respectful.

To start. I think Guns N' Roses were one of the most waste of talent that has ever existed. I mean the reality is that they were so volatile they were gonna explode at some point. But they're sadly just never quite living up to their potential. I mean Appetite was as great of an album as there ever was. It was a raw combo of Punk, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and a bit of Arena. Songs that could be played in a dingy club or in front of 50K fans. But the band had all the talent in the world. Axl had all the vocal range in the world. Izzy was a modern day Keith Richards. Duff could hold the rhythm section all on his own. Slash was as great of a lead guitarist as there was in his era. Drums were their weakest point and they still were holding their own.Sadly no album came as close to Appetite. Lies had some decent stuff, Use Your Illusion was hugely ambitious and contains a ton of great hits, but so many mediocre to bad songs. They just never quite hit the heights of their first album.

Guns N' Roses aren't the only band to do that. But they're one of the biggest who did it without someone dying involving. Ironically the same basic thing happened with Velvet Revolver. Their first album was so great. And the second had some hits and it failed.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Guns N' Roses aren't the only band to do that. But they're one of the biggest who did it without someone dying involving. Ironically the same basic thing happened with Velvet Revolver. Their first album was so great. And the second had some hits and it failed.
    Don't know much of their music but our bluegrass band did "November Rain" this year, sort of a Steve 'N' Seagulls version.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Guns N' Roses were the perfect bridge from 80s GLAM to 90s grunge. With Seattle Native Duff McKagan, Midwesterners Axl, Izzy, and Adler, and Slash representing LA, they wanted to be something like Motorhead or Alice Cooper but with a bit of polish.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    they were the biggest band in the world in 91 and they are the biggest rock band today 26-27 years later. That’s amazing.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I'm about to head to the airport in a couple hours to get a flight to Chicago to see Radiohead (seen a bunch over the past couple decades but always try to see them when they have a stateside tour)

and then going to Milwaukee sunday to see Arcade Fire (first time seeing them live and will be pregaming for the show at Miller Park rooting on the Braves)

can't wait.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Most recent concert was last year and I saw Matchbox 20 with Counting Crows in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena . Counting Crows was predictably awful, but Matchbox 20 was a good show.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I like the first Counting Crows record. I could see how they would suck in a live rock concert setting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Counting Crows is just a suckier version of Blues Traveler. I used to like may be 2 if their songs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Counting Crows is just a suckier version of Blues Traveler. I used to like may be 2 if their songs.
    Not even remotely comparable. BLues Traveller is a jam band.Counting Crows are alt/soft rock.

And unlike Blues Traveller who had one hit, counting crows had a bunch of modern rock hits, Mr. Jones, Round Here, Hanginaround, Big Yellow Taxi, A Long December, and probably a few others Im' forgetting.

Counting Crows though are old folk/alt rock musicians, doesn't lend itself to great live shows.