Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post ASG Predictions Anyone?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts

Post ASG Predictions Anyone?

Use the "eye test," "gut feel,""analytics" whatever. Obviously, key injuries change everything. Here are my unsubstantiated guesses for the next 68 games:

Wins: sub .500 the rest of the way. We were leaking oil for the last couple of weeks prior to the break and we're playing a tough schedule coming out of the break starting with a Nats team that's talented and knows they have underachieved. We've had pretty good luck from the seventh inning on which I doubt will continue. Not sure our young guns are ready for the full 162 game grind. My guess: 83 total wins/no playoffs

I have very little faith in Snitker's ability to lead a struggling team or in our bullpen. I might be more bullish if we picked up a top flight reliever.

Id like to hear anyone's thoughts as to what they predict and/or why I'm off base...fire away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think our underlying level is that of a .500 team and that's what I expect the rest of the way in

one player I'm expecting a strong second half from is Julion...I think he's figured something out with the help of Anibal the Cannibal
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-18-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I say they play over .500 ball the rest of the way...I think they add a couple of bullpen guys and maybe a starter and finish with 90 wins so 38-30 the rest of the way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-18-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I bet we get a 3b that hits righties well.

I think we are high 80s and just miss the playoffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Acuna gets going

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Acuna gets going
    If that happens, the entire landscape changes, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think our underlying level is that of a .500 team and that's what I expect the rest of the way in

one player I'm expecting a strong second half from is Julion...I think he's figured something out with the help of Anibal the Cannibal
    Agreed, I do think JT pitches well down the stretch for us. Looks to have figured something out of late
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    As long as we play .500 ball we'll be in discussion for a wild card spot. We'll need some help to play as well as we have in the 1st half though.

I see us trading for Odorizzi and Zach Duke. It may not seem like a huge trade, but it really deepens our entire staff. Odorizzi gives us a reliable 3/4 starter that helps take the pressure off Folty, Newk, and Julio. It makes for a pretty strong rotation if Gohara or Soroka can get back on track down the stretch. Duke gives us the true LOOGY we have needed all season and has the extra benefit of being pretty decent against RHH as well. Fried also gets moved to the pen in this scenario giving us another strong LH option.

I'd like to have another bench bat to replace Flaherty, I just think it's not needed as much as SP and RP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think we’re 3-5 games over .500 the rest of the way and grab a wild card spot. We have a tough schedule, but I bet AA sures up the bullpen and Acuna figures it out a bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    I think we make very light or uninteresting moves at the deadline. I also foresee the season crashing in about late Aug or early Sept..and unlike people here I do not see Acuna figuring anything out...

Miss the playoffs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jsebe10 For This Useful Post:

USMA76 (07-18-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    84-86 wins, just miss the playoffs similar to the Brewers last year, but someones gotta win the East, and who knows how many wins it will take.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think we go 36-32 the rest of the way to finish with 88 wins. Not sure if that gets us a wild card spot or wins the division. I think Folty and Newcomb will continue to be solid overall. Julio will have 2 good starts and 1 horrific one like always this season. Anibal stays surprisingly solid all year. 5th starter remains a problem until Soroka gets back. I think Camargo has a good second half with an .800ish OPS from here to the end of the season. Ozzie cools off a bit, but finished with 28 homers and about 5 WAR. Freddie is Freddie. Acuna starts to figure it out by August and finishes the year with about 18 homers and a .270 average. Nick cools off dramatically. Ender continues to struggle, but his defense keeps his head above water. Flowers hits a little better, but walks less. I think the bullpen overall will be better with an addition or two.

As far as trades go, I think we will make a deal for Loogy and a utility option. It won't cost us much.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    36-38 wins with a lot of stacking up on wins in August and because September's schedule is mostly a nightmare, September will look like a collapse, playoffs or not (which who knows at that rate that I listed, it could go either way).

Acuna does not figure it out and discussions start on: "Is he a bust?" in September because the Braves can never completely have nice things with young players.
    Luiz Gohara has a nice second half and finally distances himself from a tough offseason and early season.
    Ender stops pulling as much as he has been and hits better, but not the monster second half we saw in 2016.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

USMA76 (07-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I say we pick up Moose and a bullpen arm. We will be right in the thick of things for the division.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I say we pick up Moose and a bullpen arm. We will be right in the thick of things for the division.
    Are we substantially better off with Moose vs. Camargo? Moose is a power hitter and five years older but I'm not seeing much difference between their batting averages, WAR, etc. I'm not familiar enough with the stats to project their comparative upsides but Johan appears to have potential and I really like the way he defends the third base position. I'd hate to see us give up very much for a guy who IMO isn't a huge upgrade or who just makes our bench stronger.

As one poster (Enscheff, I think) said Camargo's swagger outstrips his demonstrated ability but, hey, I like a guy with some confidence. As the old saying goes, "if you don't believe in yourself, who will?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Moose (or some similar acquisition) would share the left side of the infield with Swanson and Camargo. It would allow the team to reduce some of the ABs currently going to Culberson, Flaherty and Santana.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Moose (or some similar acquisition) would share the left side of the infield with Swanson and Camargo. It would allow the team to reduce some of the ABs currently going to Culberson, Flaherty and Santana.
    Not seeing Flaherty coming to the plate at a critical juncture late in a game would certainly be a step in the right direction. I may be in the minority but I have no problems with Culberson or Santana as versatile bench pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Not seeing Flaherty coming to the plate at a critical juncture late in a game would certainly be a step in the right direction. I may be in the minority but I have no problems with Culberson or Santana as versatile bench pieces.
    expecting major regression from Culberson

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Are we substantially better off with Moose vs. Camargo? Moose is a power hitter and five years older but I'm not seeing much difference between their batting averages, WAR, etc. I'm not familiar enough with the stats to project their comparative upsides but Johan appears to have potential and I really like the way he defends the third base position. I'd hate to see us give up very much for a guy who IMO isn't a huge upgrade or who just makes our bench stronger.

As one poster (Enscheff, I think) said Camargo's swagger outstrips his demonstrated ability but, hey, I like a guy with some confidence. As the old saying goes, "if you don't believe in yourself, who will?"
    It's not really about the upgrade as much as it is we can better utilize Camargo's versatility and improve our bench that much more with Camargo subbing in for guys.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    34-34 for 86 wins. Right on the cusp of the playoffs. Might get us in, might not.